LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show was good, performance was good. I for one like Dave’s free spirited solos, and the long notes he does sometimes really stand out and make it more emotional (One of my favorite solos of his is the one in WTWWB on En Vivo).
But there’s one basic problem that’s getting worse with each year: Everybody‘s playing all the time, almost always with full force. It’s too much, the result is mud. If they played less and one or two guitarists had some breaks now and then, the result would sound tighter, heavier, with more groove. And, related to this same problem, Bruce can still do the high stuff for the most part (even better than last year imo), but it’s too much as well, and he almost never gets to use his lower register, which is a shame.

IMO, Bruce struggled quite a bit yesterday, but managed to do that in a way that was not too obvious (elegantly changing pitch).

The band, however, were on fire.

Yeah, he struggled quite a bit, but maybe the reason is because this show was at the end of the tour and he had some problems at the start of the tour, who knows./ He looked really tired at the end of the concert - actually, I think for the first time I see Bruce so tired after a concert.... and he wasn't running and jumping (as much as he usually does during concerts) at all.

Yeah, he struggled quite a bit, but maybe the reason is because this show was at the end of the tour and he had some problems at the start of the tour, who knows./ He looked really tired at the end of the concert - actually, I think for the first time I see Bruce so tired after a concert.... and he wasn't running and jumping (as much as he usually does during concerts) at all.

Not jumping is a result of him having broken his Achilles’ tendon and having to go under the knife in April.

Bruce sounded to me like he had a cold. Let’s hope is just a temporary thing and not an indication of something more serious/permanent.

Show was good, performance was good. I for one like Dave’s free spirited solos, and the long notes he does sometimes really stand out and make it more emotional (One of my favorite solos of his is the one in WTWWB on En Vivo).
But there’s one basic problem that’s getting worse with each year: Everybody‘s playing all the time, almost always with full force. It’s too much, the result is mud. If they played less and one or two guitarists had some breaks now and then, the result would sound tighter, heavier, with more groove. And, related to this same problem, Bruce can still do the high stuff for the most part (even better than last year imo), but it’s too much as well, and he almost never gets to use his lower register, which is a shame.

I never had thought or had even glimpse of mind thinking that they should have more breaks and such. Not talking about the actual songs but maybe the whole soundstage is too full sometimes. But I can agree what you said here.
Could this too full on playing etc, that you mention be somehow from some venue sound or poor mixing etc? Some streams or live-shows shown on tv might not be from optimal sound and the if there's some doing sound it might affect that the output is nowhere near as clear and bright as heard on official live-albums or studio-albums.
I have never had problems with Maiden playing live their catalogue and songs, they are exceptionally energetic and fine on the stage, on top of the game literally when comparing them to some of their contemporaries and such big bands around. They are still on fire and deliver it.
The slower parts in the songs, which are luckily plenty to be found, really shine and I truly like them. For example, on that Rock In Rio show it had some problems with the sound, there were weird sounds and also some essential guitar-parts weren't on spotlight as they would normally be.
Bruce in top form, for sure he had problems with cold in the early tours (SOT '86-'87 and STOAST'88) but also it's surely taking a bit toll, even if he has taken now taken good care of his voice in the later years, he still might have little cold and it's evidently affecting his voice.
I just listened to some shows from '88, 2008 and 2018 it's truly amazing how it went different than for the usual singers getting older, Bruce's voice has been really great in the last 20 years even if he had couple minor performances.

Not jumping is a result of him having broken his Achilles’ tendon and having to go under the knife in April.

Bruce sounded to me like he had a cold. Let’s hope is just a temporary thing and not an indication of something more serious/permanent.

I remember talk of this operation so I knew what to expect. He performed normally but of course didn't run around that much as normally.
I think he did indeed sound a bit cold and tired towards the end, and I aswell haven't before seen as tired as can be seen there in the end of the show.
To be honest, as I read couple comments before watching the show I expected even worse performance but all in all, I think the band and Bruce were fine doing their stuff. Nothing out of ordinary that you would expect from Maiden nowadays.
Hopefully it will continue as such for future, uncertain as we are of how many tours and albums are left.

I think Bruce sounded a bit "weird" on parts of "The Evil That Men Do", it was fast version for sure but somehow he just adapted more free style on the parts there. Did any of you take notice of this?

I think Bruce sounded a bit "weird" on parts of "The Evil That Men Do", it was fast version for sure but somehow he just adapted more free style on the parts there. Did any of you take notice of this?

He was just singing the high notes of the chorus differently (an octave lower?)probably trying to save his voice for the rest of the encore and not to struggle with the frantic pace.

I never had thought or had even glimpse of mind thinking that they should have more breaks and such. Not talking about the actual songs but maybe the whole soundstage is too full sometimes. But I can agree what you said here.
Could this too full on playing etc, that you mention be somehow from some venue sound or poor mixing etc? Some streams or live-shows shown on tv might not be from optimal sound and the if there's some doing sound it might affect that the output is nowhere near as clear and bright as heard on official live-albums or studio-albums.
Every Maiden concert has that same problem: Guitars are just mud and noise. Also the studio albums. It’s not the mixer’s fault.
Compare with Bonamassa‘s live sound, which is great; yeah, it’s not metal, but hell, even Rammstein’s live sound is more clear than Maiden‘s.

Every Maiden concert has that same problem: Guitars are just mud and noise. Also the studio albums. It’s not the mixer’s fault.
Compare with Bonamassa‘s live sound, which is great; yeah, it’s not metal, but hell, even Rammstein’s live sound is more clear than Maiden‘s.

The main difference is that neither of those band have 3 guitars and 1 bass guitar competing for the same frequencies. ;)

I agree with @jazz from hell. There's no need for all three guitars to be playing simultaneously all the time. A sort of "guitarist rotation" in which each of the three gets the same amount of stage time would have been a cool gimmick for Maiden.

I just listened to The Evil That Men Do. That was a bit rough. He's clearly tired during Hallowed Be Thy Name, but he managed that one a bit better. To be honest, Bruce has gradually been declining the past 10-15 years. That being said, he's still towering above most of his peers and the ability to perform the songs well at 61 years old is not an easy feat. I'd prefer Maiden to drop do Eb tuning, and have wanted them to do such since TFF tour, but we all know they won't. Same with Sebastian Bach. He'd benefit from dropping the tuning as well, but prides himself on singing in the original keys. Voices naturally grow deeper with age. Just ride with it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Maybe he really had a cold and that's affected his voice (plus it is the end of the tour). Maiden always streams concert where Bruce is ill/have a cold - Wacken 2016, Rock In Rio 2013.... and he was ill during Maiden England '88 concert (if I'm not mistaken), but his performances there were awesome (without the choruses of TETMD/WY and the whole HBTN..../ but he was brutal in Infinite Dreams and SSOASS).

I noticed it. It sounded kinda strange with changing the chorus.

Last edited:
Bruce attitude to this is one to commend: When he can no longer sing the songs in the original key it would be the time to call it a day. I wholeheartedly agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back