LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue with the rankings, afaict, is that they are the opinions of a relatively vocal minority who follow Maiden's music in a current basis and regularly exchange ideas and opinions on even Maiden's lesser known stuff. We have threads dedicated to the equipment each band uses, who wrote what songs when, links to books written by members of the Maiden crew who left said crew over 30 years ago. We are, for the most part, a very driven and informed community in regards to Maiden and we absolutely do not make up the majority of Maiden fans. I'd argue we're less than 1% of that total.

RTTH is a great song in and of itself, but in Maiden's extensive and prestigious catalog, I doubt it would be anywhere near the top 10 let alone top 50.
And the rankings were designed to be a reflection of that relatively vocal minority. The hardcore fan.

RTTH is a great song in and of itself, but in Maiden's extensive and prestigious catalog, I doubt it would be anywhere near the top 10 let alone top 50.

I'm not sure where exactly it would be in my list, but it's definitely a 10/10 Maiden classic.

Absolutely, and they serve that intended function well. I think the original idea was that RTTH was not a popular song among the average concert goer.
I think that the average concert goer enjoys the song. But I think the fact that it isn't quite the staple it used to be indicates something too. The Trooper is on every tour, RTTH is skipping album tours. The last time RTTH was on an "album" tour was on the "Matter of the Beast" tour in 2007, which combined AMOLAD songs and The Number of the Beast songs for 12 dates. The last time it was on a full album tour was Death on the Road.

Holy shit, you're right! I've been to the last 4 tours and for some reason I thought I'd seen RTTH on every show. Bananas! Between the tours I've seen and repeatedly watching their videos, it certainly feels like I'm watching RTTH quite often, and that's apparently not the case.

Note I'm referring specifically to Maidenfans, hence the rest of the post. :)

Fair enough, but as I said previously and you also acknowledged, this forum does not represent the majority of Maiden fans, just a small bunch of obsessed nerds. For most other people, Run to the Hills is a bona fide all time metal classic. ;)

When making lists, some great songs get unfairly discriminated against because we've heard them so many times. For example, it's not The Trooper's fault that you've heard it live 10,000 times already. But that will influence your vote.

Fair enough, but as I said previously and you also acknowledged, this forum does not represent the majority of Maiden fans, just a small bunch of obsessed nerds. For most other people, Run to the Hills is a bona fide all time metal classic. ;)
We're literally posting the exact same thing. I'd said that RTTH was a classic song and that the Maidenfans forums were not representative of the whole of Maiden fans around the globe.

Something I posted a page ago: "
I don't know what this means, but RttH was a hit single and is probably the number one song at Maiden concerts that every fan knows universally. It's definitely acclaimed."

We're literally posting the exact same thing. I'd said that RTTH was a classic song and that the Maidenfans forums were not representative of the whole of Maiden fans around the globe.

Something I posted a page ago: "
I don't know what this means, but RttH was a hit single and is probably the number one song at Maiden concerts that every fan knows universally. It's definitely acclaimed."

True. I was just making a cheeky post about the top 10 nature of the song, regardless of what the Maidenfans community might think, and quoted partially your message to that aim. Please accept my apologies for this. :)

When making lists, some great songs get unfairly discriminated against because we've heard them so many times. For example, it's not The Trooper's fault that you've heard it live 10,000 times already. But that will influence your vote.
And yet The Trooper is still universally acclaimed by Maidenfans as well as the generic Iron Maiden fan. There's a difference between the two tracks.

The lists are what they are. I definitely expect a hardcore fan list to look very different to a mainstream one.
Naturally.

So what is the Maiden song equivalent to these classic songs? Paranoid, Breaking the Law, Smoke on the Water, Enter Sandman, Ace of Spades, Raining Blood, Crazy Train, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Symphony of Destruction. Run to the Hills or The Trooper?

Thing about the Trooper that appeals to me is that they updated it to work with three guitarists and it sounds better now than it ever did. First time I realized that solo was TWO guitars at once my mind was blown.

So what is the Maiden song equivalent to these classic songs? Paranoid, Breaking the Law, Smoke on the Water, Enter Sandman, Ace of Spades, Raining Blood, Crazy Train, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Symphony of Destruction. Run to the Hills or The Trooper?
This is a toughie. Trooper is by far the better song, but I'm positive I've heard RTTH on the radio far more. Granted, where I live we have a shit-ass radio station called FM99 that is the most lame mainstream bullshit you can imagine. It's literally a station full of music that people listen to so they can tell other people they "like their music heavy".

Difficult one. I’d say Run to the Hills.

If I was hearing all those songs in a row for the first time with no prior knowledge of the bands, either Maiden entry would put them at the top of the pile. And I would still think Slayer are utter shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back