Metallica

A band called Incubus accused Metallica of stealing the riff from their song Hunger For Power and using it in their song Moth Into Flame, and issued them with a cease and desist order. I think in the end the band members or the manager or something came out and said that it was either a hoax or someone acting rogue and they weren't taking it seriously. The point was it was a massive thing (for a few days only of course) but the band never said a word officially, they just let it slide.

Thanks, I vaguely remember that now but couldn't remember the band name, I thought you were talking about the other Incubus. Late to the party, but that song sounds nothing like Moth Into Flame (or vice versa), though it was clearly influenced by Metallica. Which, given it was released in 1988, is not surprising in the slightest.

And this is how the rich get richer and we get screwed:

I'm surprised you didn't like Hardwired then, it's like Death Magnetic with Load-influences.
Right, but I only liked "most" of those two albums, and Hardwired seems comprised of the shit I didn't like from either album. This weird "groovy" guitar tone for lack of a better word that lacks any bite, James's voice while very competent is absolutely boring and devoid of any passion, and there's zero reason for it to be on two discs. Load is a longer album and is one CD. I like moments from Spit On My Boner and Dream On, but most of it is just...there.

So I've been on this Metallica kick this last week. I go through this "They had some good albums, they can't be that terrible right?" phase every 7-10 years and go through their discography. Yesterday on the way home from work I popped in (well it's on USB thumb stick, so I just selected the folder really) Stanger. I call it Stanger because it's funny, like Stranger without an "R". Say it. "Stanger." Good stuff! Anywho, I selected the Stanger folder and I'm about 8/9 through the album now and it's....not....bad. I'm actively enjoying most of it. And the thing I'm enjoying the most that I don't thing anyone would agree with is the drum sound. There is something extremely raw and destructive about that trash can snare sound. I wouldn't want it all the time, but on this album it works. Hetfield's lyrics are banana-brain nonsense most of the time, but his intonation is a lot better than on the Black Album and he's not "whoah-aah!" or "yea-aaa'ing" his way through every word.

I still stand by what I said regarding Hardwired. It's not a comeback album because Metallica never really left, and if they did
have a comeback it would've been with Death Magnetic, which I still quite like. Hardwired feels very try-hard at the same time as lazy. It reminds me of Force of Habit from Exodus, except I'm not sure I'm enjoying it as much. It's a very safe, by the numbers album. That might be why I like Load and now Stanger as well. Those albums aren't safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it wasn't Damaged Justice setlist since the album wasn't released yet, but never the less. My error. Only Harvester was played

After the news that Metallica's management was fixing ticket sales to send thousands of tickets straight to resale, Metallica were definitely in need of a PR boost: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-donates-279000-to-romanian-pediatric-hospital/

Looks like the extra cash they made from ripping off their fans is going to some good causes at least! :p

They have also announced some shows in South America next year, which is great news for Brazilian culture.

After the news that Metallica's management was fixing ticket sales to send thousands of tickets straight to resale, Metallica were definitely in need of a PR boost: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-donates-279000-to-romanian-pediatric-hospital/

Looks like the extra cash they made from ripping off their fans is going to some good causes at least! :p

They have also announced some shows in South America next year, which is great news for Brazilian culture.

View attachment 10234
Interesting choice going with Greta Van Fleet as the opener.

Back