Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

That actually made for quite sad reading. Such a promising start, and it all turned to ashes so quickly afterwards. Poor Blaze :(

(Incidentally, the 7th page seems to have got lost a bit over the left-hand edge ...)

It is kind of sad but also proves that Blaze was not fit for the job. I'm not criticizing him as a singer or his talent. I just want to point out that he didn't have the experience to be on a long tour with a world tour act without his voice being affected. He's lucky he can still sing (and to some better than when he was in Maiden) 'cause he did strain his voice on the X Factour and he certainly also struggled with nerves (I know they all get nervous before a show but he was the novice even though having played with Wolfsbane) and forgetting lyrics (because of the long sets).

I will always think that Steve made the error of choosing Blaze for a job he simply could not give 100% and it is kind of sad that Blaze suffered the consequences. Good for him that he is still able to do what he wants and that he lived his dream

It is kind of sad but also proves that Blaze was not fit for the job. I'm not criticizing him as a singer or his talent. I just want to point out that he didn't have the experience to be on a long tour with a world tour act without his voice being affected. He's lucky he can still sing (and to some better than when he was in Maiden) 'cause he did strain his voice on the X Factour and he certainly also struggled with nerves (I know they all get nervous before a show but he was the novice even though having played with Wolfsbane) and forgetting lyrics (because of the long sets).

I will always think that Steve made the error of choosing Blaze for a job he simply could not give 100% and it is kind of sad that Blaze suffered the consequences. Good for him that he is still able to do what he wants and that he lived his dream
Yes the diary did show that he was already having voice problems (and the measures he was taking to try to resolve them - surely no-one can accuse him of not taking his responsibilities seriously!) But the band and management could have done more to help him, if they had had the experience necessary to realise what the problem actually was. After all, on a some of the early live recordings Bruce sound pretty strained too. But he didn't have quite such a massive back catalogue of stuff written for someone else's voice, and I really believe he had an easier time because of this.

I can't agree about Steve having made an error by chosing Blaze. But I think he messed up by choosing Blaze apparently for his own qualities and then not realising that they would need to adapt to accomodate his different voice. But however Blaze ultimately didn't hold up well live he did contribute to two fantastic albums and wrote some great songs on them, including my all-time favourite. So I can never regret that he was there and I will always be grateful for his part in the story of my favourite band.

Maiden members answers to Kerrang magazine's readers' poll in 1986:

Steve Harris:
Favorite Band: Golden Earring
Favorite Male Singer: Geoff Tate
Favorite Female Singer: Ann Wilson
Favorite Sex Object (Male): I'm not that way inclined!
Favorite Sex Object (Female): Ann Wilson
Bore: The radio

Dave Murray:
Favorite Band: Deep Purple
Favorite Bass Player: Geddy Lee
Favorite Video: "Blind in Texas" (W.A.S.P.)
Favorite Sex Object (Male): Sooty (the adorable yellow bear glove puppet and star of UK television, stage, comic book and, films. Understandable)
Favorite Female Singer: Kate Bush
Favorite Album: The Good, The Bad, and the Waysted by Waysted (1985)

Adrian Smith:
Favorite Band: Saga
Favorite Bassist: Billy Sheehan
Favorite Drummer: Tony Thompson
Favorite Film: Pale Rider
Favorite Female Singer: Tina Turner

Nicko McBrain:
Favorite Band: Steven Marriott's Packet Of Three
Favorite Guitarist: Adrian Smith (awww)
Favorite Drummer: Tommy Lee (Mötley Crüe)
Favorite Sex Object: The missus (Rebecca McBrain)
Favorite Film: The Neverending Story

Bruce Dickinson:
Favorite Band: Marillion
Favorite Album: Misplaced Childhood by Marillion
Favorite Guitarist: Ritchie Blackmore
Favorite Keyboard Player: Ms. Edna Scroabes, 13 Edgehill Road, Leeds 7 (?)
Sex Object (Female): Nancy Reagan
Favorite Album Cover: The one with the pregnant lobster on it
Worst Rock Group: Anything to do with lobsters
Work Rock LP: Revenge Of The Shogun's Crayfish
Bore: Politicians

Steve Harris:

Dave Murray:
Favorite Sex Object (Male): Sooty (the adorable yellow bear glove puppet and star of UK television, stage, comic book and, films. Understandable)

Adrian Smith:

Nicko McBrain:

Bruce Dickinson:

It's really interesting to know the favourite Adrians band at that times was Saga :)
And Marillion always liked to the guys

Steve Harris:

Dave Murray:

Adrian Smith:

Nicko McBrain:

Bruce Dickinson:

I love Bruce's "Nancy Reagan" answer. An answer with class!

I did actually know about Steve and Golden Earring. (And Ann Wilson.) It's also been well reported that Bruce was at Fish's wedding, so there was a known Marillion connection as well. The rest is more or less a surprise. (Except for Bruce taking the piss, of course :D)

Works getting in the way. I'll try and do it in the weekend. Promise :)
Thanks! That diary does makes for an interesting read, so it would be nice to have it complete. (I've made a Powerpoint slideshow out of the pages, to make it easier to follow.)

Some interesting revelations about some of the other band members in there as well. I could never have imagined Janick as the type to pick fights on purpose, however drunk he may have been at the time. (With Ian Gillan's bad influence though ...) And if I'd been asked to guess which band member would be the "hero sportsman" who tried to play on through a cramp for an hour, my money would not have been on Dave!

It does i
Thanks! That diary does makes for an interesting read, so it would be nice to have it complete. (I've made a Powerpoint slideshow out of the pages, to make it easier to follow.)

Some interesting revelations about some of the other band members in there as well. I could never have imagined Janick as the type to pick fights on purpose, however drunk he may have been at the time. (With Ian Gillan's bad influence though ...) And if I'd been asked to guess which band member would be the "hero sportsman" who tried to play on through a cramp for an hour, my money would not have been on Dave!

It is indeed, that's why I asked for it. I dunno if any diaries were published for the Virtual XI Tour though... It would be interesting how things were, in the perspective of Blaze or other band members, during that tour. To my knowledge things were pretty rough and it is quite obvious that things on that tour ended up with the decision that Blaze had to go

It is indeed, that's why I asked for it. I dunno if any diaries were published for the Virtual XI Tour though... It would be interesting how things were, in the perspective of Blaze or other band members, during that tour. To my knowledge things were pretty rough and it is quite obvious that things on that tour ended up with the decision that Blaze had to go

I can try and flick through the FC mags from around the Virtual XI time and see if they did something similar. I doubt it though - because at the end of that tour, and before they even had time to publish diaries etc, they were already thinking about a reunion with Bruce I believe :lol:

I can try and flick through the FC mags from around the Virtual XI time and see if they did something similar. I doubt it though - because at the end of that tour, and before they even had time to publish diaries etc, they were already thinking about a reunion with Bruce I believe :lol:

It would be interesting to see what you can find. I do know that from october 2nd onward there were tour entries from different band members (Steve, Dave, Nicko and Rod) but I do not know if before that they published something in the FC Magazines as I have never seen those magazines around that era. Also, as I said and you also see, I think they were thinking about bringing Bruce to the fold.

Back