7. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - 9.25/10
  8. For The Greater Good Of God - 10/10
  9. Lord Of Light - 8.5/10
  10. The Legacy - 9/10
Average: 8.85/10

Last edited:
A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH (2006)

1. Different World - 10/10
At first glance, this seems like another rocker in the style of Wildest Dreams, but let it sink in. This is a level of maturity that the Judas Priests of this world can only dream of reaching.

2. These Colours Don’t Run - 10/10
I don’t think I truly got this song before now. What a masterful tale of what it means to be sent off to battle.

3. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 10/10
One of the heaviest songs the band has released. A tidal wave of nuclear energy.

4. The Pilgrim - 9/10
A very strong song, but I think I liked it a little more last time.

5. The Longest Day - 8/10
Everything through the first chorus is incredible, then it sorta dips off. Luckily it’s still solid enough throughout, but it could’ve been better.

6. Out Of The Shadows - 4/10
Godfuckingdammit. This song is just boring. What a blight on an otherwise strong album.

7. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - 10/10
Great song about PTSD’s affects on one’s psyche.

One of my favorite Maiden songs. I just love it so much.

9. Lord Of Light - 10/10
That chorus is jaw dropping. Another really heavy song.

10. The Legacy - 10/10
A lyrical masterpiece and the perfect closer for the album.

Let’s keep it simple: OOTS sucks, the rest is pretty much awesome.

Rating: 91%

Out of the shadows is a brilliant song man. Relisten it please
Exactly. Every performance on that song is near-perfect, and the atmosphere and dynamics of it are fantastic. I can’t understand where any complaints would be coming from on this one unless you just didn’t like the idea of Maiden playing songs in this style. And since @Diesel 11 apparently thinks “Journeyman” is a 10/10 this week, we know that’s not the issue here...

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH (2006)

1. Different World - 10/10
At first glance, this seems like another rocker in the style of Wildest Dreams, but let it sink in. This is a level of maturity that the Judas Priests of this world can only dream of reaching.

2. These Colours Don’t Run - 10/10
I don’t think I truly got this song before now. What a masterful tale of what it means to be sent off to battle.

3. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 10/10
One of the heaviest songs the band has released. A tidal wave of nuclear energy.

4. The Pilgrim - 9/10
A very strong song, but I think I liked it a little more last time.

5. The Longest Day - 8/10
Everything through the first chorus is incredible, then it sorta dips off. Luckily it’s still solid enough throughout, but it could’ve been better.

6. Out Of The Shadows - 4/10
Godfuckingdammit. This song is just boring. What a blight on an otherwise strong album.

7. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - 10/10
Great song about PTSD’s affects on one’s psyche.

One of my favorite Maiden songs. I just love it so much.

9. Lord Of Light - 10/10
That chorus is jaw dropping. Another really heavy song.

10. The Legacy - 10/10
A lyrical masterpiece and the perfect closer for the album.

Let’s keep it simple: OOTS sucks, the rest is pretty much awesome.

Rating: 91%
My ratings would probably be very similar, but I dislike Out of the Shadows even more. Your review gets a 9.6/10.

• Angry
Reactions: Jer
Not really a dig at Judas Priest, but more all the other bands that can’t stop singing about how metal they are. JP were just the best ones to be the ‘umbrella term’ for, since they have a lot of great rockers but not the most depth to them, and bands that copy their style usually have even less.

Exactly. Every performance on that song is near-perfect, and the atmosphere and dynamics of it are fantastic. I can’t understand where any complaints would be coming from on this one unless you just didn’t like the idea of Maiden playing songs in this style. And since @Diesel 11 apparently thinks “Journeyman” is a 10/10 this week, we know that’s not the issue here...
This coming from the man that dislikes “Paschendale”.

and bands that copy their style usually have even less.
There's no such thing as "Priest Style". This guys have really distinct eras/records (just check how different Sad Wings, Screaming For Vengeance, Turbo, Painkiller, Jugulator and Nostradamus are). And the proof of that diversity is that Priest's the main influence of bands as different as Virgin Steele, Accept and Helloween on one hand and Slayer,Voivod and Opeth on the other. Finnaly either you're a fan or not, I can't remember a single metal band that released 3 albums in 3 different decades that are so different from each otherregarded as hugely influential as Sad Wings Of Destiny (70's metal with prog influences), British Steel (some prefer Screaming For Vengeance but both are 80's straight in your face heavy metal/ rock) and Painkiller (Speed/ heavy metal). So I simply don't know what you mean by "Judas Priest Style".
Not really a dig at Judas Priest, but more all the other bands that can’t stop singing about how metal they are.
... Ah so you misspelled Manowar. Ok then :lol:

P.s. Not saying Maiden copied Priest or that they're worst than them. But Priest was the first metal band with dual guitar harmonies (one of Maiden's trademarks.

Last edited:
Again, Priest was just the best example I could think of to describe the bands I’m talking about. They play rockers, the songs aren’t too deep and a lot of them are all “fuck yeah, heavy metal”. That’s where the similarities end, because Priest are actually pretty great and the bands like Manowar aren’t.

EDIT: it probably wasn’t the best wording in the original post.

This coming from the man that dislikes “Paschendale”.
Yes, I prefer my songs well crafted and well executed. Checking a few high-level “epic” boxes doesn’t magically translate into an automatic 10/10 for me.

Back