Adrian Smith

I remember Bruce said that he wrote the lyrics of run silent run deep in 5 minutes or something like that
Bruce said at the time that the lyrics for RSRD were actually from one of the songs he wrote for Somewhere In Time (which, as I'm sure you remember, were all rejected ...) So basically, they'd been sitting around for a while. He thought that they would work well with a new tune Steve was writing and the others all agreed, apparently.

http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com...views08_npftd&lang=eng&link=albums#interview3

5 minutes though? Surely it would take anyone longer than that to physically write down that many words?
Unless they were fluent in shorthand, of course :D

I don't think it would've worked in the long run even if he'd stuck around. He was unhappy with the direction NPFTD was taking (rightfully so, it's a subpar album for them) and the rest of the band wouldn't budge. He also had misgivings about live tempos and those problems wouldn't be resolved by him staying either. It would've only gotten worse and Adrian woulda eventually left anyway. Likely with bridges burned badly enough that there would be no chance of reunion. He was apprehensive about it even in this timeline in 1999.
This.

Adrian in RTTH, explaining how he felt around the time of his departure:
Maiden had been my life for ten years. It had become like a family to me. It felt strange at first, I admit - I didn't have that day-to-day involvment any more that I'd lived on for so long - but at the same time it felt like it was a weight off my shoulders. The truth is, I was unhappy. I felt stifled, after doing my own album, and coming back and not having any new ideas.... It just got to me in the end.
In other words, he just needed to spend some time out of the band, like Bruce a few years later. And the band now is all the better because they did.

14469495_1387369157954851_2482801085313749611_n.jpg

H with Bernie Marsden in H's studio last month.

I went to see Bernie Marsden live yesterday (great gig with an acoustic set and an electric one; he sings the old Whitesnake classics miles better than Coverdale these days) and managed to have a quick chat with him during the interval. I asked him if it was true that he had recorded a blues album with Adrian. He said that yes, it was true, but that he does not really know when or if it will see the light of day and said that the album was "bloody good". He also praised Adrian's singing.

I even got a selfie with him and a record signed. Nice guy and superb guitar player.

As @matic22 posted last year, Bernie went to see Maiden and met with the band backstage:

The second picture (you will need to click on the picture to be able to see it) had me in stitches: Steve is sporting his "Meet the fans and carry and invisible umbrella" pose and Bernie looks like he is thinking: "Oh well, I'll do the umbrella thing too".

I went to see Bernie Marsden live yesterday (great gig with an acoustic set and an electric one; he sings the old Whitesnake classics miles better than Coverdale these days) and managed to have a quick chat with him during the interval. I asked him if it was true that he had recorded a blues album with Adrian. He said that yes, it was true, but that he does not really know when or if it will see the light of day and said that the album was "bloody good". He also praised Adrian's singing.

I even got a selfie with him and a record signed. Nice guy and superb guitar player.

As @matic22 posted last year, Bernie went to see Maiden and met with the band backstage:

The second picture (you will need to click on the picture to be able to see it) had me in stitches: Steve is sporting his "Meet the fans and carry and invisible umbrella" pose and Bernie looks like he is thinking: "Oh well, I'll do the umbrella thing too".
That's awesome man!!! A Blues record with these 2 guys. I think Kevin Shirley will put his hands on it. thanks a lot for share this review and the great news! Bernie is a nice man and even more with an invisible umbrella.

Bernie is a a legend. Always seems like a genuine and nice bloke. Great story man.

(Not to mention that he owns one of the most legendary and best sounding guitars ever, 1959 Les Paul named The Beast.)

Bernie is a a legend. Always seems like a genuine and nice bloke. Great story man.

(Not to mention that he owns one of the most legendary and best sounding guitars ever, 1959 Les Paul named The Beast.)

Sadly he did not bring it to the show yesterday.

He shared some funny anecdotes about his time with UFO and Whitesnake with the audience. He is not a big fan of neither Phil Mogg, nor David Coverdale. :lol:

Sadly he did not bring it to the show yesterday.

He shared some funny anecdotes about his time with UFO and Whitesnake with the audience. He is not a big fan of neither Phil Mogg, nor David Coverdale. :lol:

I'd imagine that, yes. In particular, I remember that Coverdale almost always tries to downplay his contribution to Here I Go Again in interviews and trying to tell that Bernie was a hired hand who just played guitar... He says something like: Bernie added 3 chords, the rest was mine (AFAIK Bernie wrote most of the music, while David wrote the lyrics). So yeah, I understand that.

Phil Mogg? I dunno if any ex-UFO member is a fan of him. Even with the current ones there is some doubt :lol:.

I'd imagine that, yes. In particular, I remember that Coverdale almost always tries to downplay his contribution to Here I Go Again in interviews and trying to tell that Bernie was a hired hand who just played guitar... He says something like: Bernie added 3 chords, the rest was mine (AFAIK Bernie wrote most of the music, while David wrote the lyrics). So yeah, I understand that.

Phil Mogg? I dunno if any ex-UFO member is a fan of him. Even with the current ones there is some doubt :lol:.
He also claims that he was the one behind the riff for Mistreated so I don't take much of what he says at face value.

Nice. Brings back memories of hearing The Whole Population Of Hackney bootleg.

Wonder if they did Reach Out.

P.S. I think this hotel is co-owned by H and Natalie + a few other investors.

Maiden management (Andy and I believe Rod too) and Nathalie apparently co-own the hotel with Mark Fuller.

Back