Iron Maiden backdrops over the years (WARNING: LOTB SETLIST SPOILERS)

Somewhere on Tour

1 & 1.2- Caught Somewhere In Time
2- ROTAM

- maaan, everything is so dark from the videos on YouTube and you cannot see almost nothing. Why Steve had to listen to Rod to not filming this amazing tour - a special unique tour. Unfortunately, we will never see a proper video from it. Maiden have bits of it, but not the whole show.... sad.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    600.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 1.2.jpg
    1.2.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.png
    2.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
World Slavery Tour

1- Aces High, 2MTM, The Trooper, Revelations and FOI
2- Powerslave, TNOTB and HBTN
& 3.1- Iron Maiden (3.1- big Eddie appears)
4- RTTH (sometimes they used a black background), and 22AA (at least in Poland 1984)

Note: Running Free, Sanctuary and 22AA - they used a black background.

! for ROTAM -> they used a white background.

- Losfer Words (Big 'Orra), Phantom Of The Opera, COTD, Wrathchild, DWYBO and MITRM -> there is no video (only audio).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.png
    2.png
    431.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.1.jpg
    3.1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
1- World Piece Tour (during the whole concert. Sometimes they used a black background too)

2- The Beast on the Road (during the whole concert)

3- Killer World Tour (during the whole concert)

4- Iron Maiden Tour (during the whole concert)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
1- World Piece Tour (during the whole concert. Sometimes they used a black background too)

I might be mistaken, but I think the black backdrop was used by default most of time during the show.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photo...recency=anydate&suppressfamilycorrection=true

worldpiecetour12.jpg

0de6baec9a2abde503bd46bb311a8ad3b8ca33c3.jpeg

I might be mistaken, but I think the black backdrop was used by default most of time during the show.

It's possible. I checked the Dortmund '83 concert and the big Eddie behind the drum kit was there all the time. This is the only concert where you can see the stage perfectly. All others videos from YouTube for that tour are with a very poor quality.

Last edited:
It's possible. I checked the Dortmund '83 concert and the big Eddie behind the drum kit was there all the time. This is the only concert where you can see the stage perfectly. All others videos from YouTube for this that are with a very poor quality.

If you check the link I posted you could see a significant number of pictures with the black backdrop. That was the way the stage looked most of the time on that tour.

Somewhere on Tour

1- Caught Somewhere In Time
2- ROTAM - a ship (sorry, couldn't find a picture)

- maaan, everything is so dark from the videos on YouTube and you cannot see almost nothing. Why Steve had to listen to Rod to not filming this amazing tour - a special unique tour. Unfortunately, we will never see a proper video from it. Maiden have bits of it, but not the whole show.... sad.

As cosmic punishment for Maiden failing to play Alexander the Great on the tour, no full document of it was allowed to exist.

I finally found a picture of the ship backdrop for ROTAM during Somewhere On Tour !

It is different from the one they used during SBIT tour.

I made an update on my original post for this tour (see on top of this page).

Last edited:
I found this picture of Donnington 88, building the stage and the backdrops used to surround it.

View attachment 9896
It's curious that only 5 Eddies are shown on the frozen artwork (I can recognize only Powerslave Eddie?) - 5 Eddies are also shown on the back cover of the album (SIT, IM, Killers, POM, Live After Death/Powerslave and TNOTB... the latter is not in the form of an iceberg sculpture).

We can find all icy Eddies from the first 7 albums (and Live After Death) in the Maiden England 2014 tour poster.

The icebergs on the left side are cool detail too.

No Prayer on the Road

3- Hooks In You and NPFTD (appears during the solos of the song - at least in Philadelphia 1991)
Watching some live videos from NPOTR tour today, I think I know why they used the backdrop of ''Hooks In You'' for ''No Prayer For The Dying'' too - the artwork fits the title of the album and is similar to the cover of Killers (the stripped down approach of the album).

Btw, using the ''Tailgunner'' artwork for the backdrop of ''Public Enema Number One'' (not every time though) was not a good move.

-> I love how massive the backdrops were for this tour (I think they were bigger than the ones for FOTD tour). They made the stage set so much better.

Edit: it's strange but they didn't used the album cover as a backdrop.

Last edited:
It's curious that only 5 Eddies are shown on the frozen artwork (I can recognize only Powerslave Eddie?) - 5 Eddies are also shown on the back cover of the album (SIT, IM, Killers, POM, Live After Death/Powerslave and TNOTB... the latter is not in the form of an iceberg sculpture).

We can find all icy Eddies from the first 7 albums (and Live After Death) in the Maiden England 2014 tour poster.

The icebergs on the left side are cool detail too.
Beware. Not too many icebergs that night. This was because of the Midlands airport next to the festival site: The plane from Southampton to New York could have hit one and then come down.

They kinda did something similar for Donington 1992 too. ;)

View attachment 13264

At the Monsters of Rock shows in 1996 they incorporated some Powerslave themes in the promotion and the stage set! To bad the audience only got one song from Powerslave! (2 Minutes to Midnight).

Attachments

• fddfgdfgfdg.png
    fddfgdfgfdg.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • c95161335e858aad0c8083ae0a004d8b--eddie-the-head-iron-maiden-eddie.jpg
    c95161335e858aad0c8083ae0a004d8b--eddie-the-head-iron-maiden-eddie.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 18
Back