The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

They're talking about a possible intermission now

Oh man, Haven't experienced one of those since I was a kid lol. Seriously, intermissions in theaters went by the wayside in the early 90s.

Also, Am I the only one who after Spider Man: Homecoming and Spider Man: Far from Home, is dying to see a Spider Man: Home Alone?

Don't know about an intermission. If they hadn't planned for one during the edit then I can picture it coming during an awkward moment, kinda like when an ad break interrupts a film on TV, y'know? I'd imagine the film will be good enough to not feel like it's three hours long, but like I said, my personal discomfort will make it torture.

Also, Am I the only one who after Spider Man: Homecoming and Spider Man: Far from Home, is dying to see a Spider Man: Home Alone?

I wasn't, but I am now. :lol:

I'm so excited. They are only showing old footage and footage from the first 15 minutes of the movie. Nothing will be spoiled. I'm going into spoiler lockdown mode after the review embargo opens and until I see the movie.

I'm going into spoiler lockdown mode after the review embargo opens and until I see the movie.
We'll see about that soon, Night Prowler. :devil2:

Last week I saw Captain Marvel. It's a very enjoyable and entertaining film. The pacing is just right so that it's not just one long fight scene like The Hobbit III and has enough non-action sequences to build up Carol Danvers' back story. I enjoyed the dated 90s references a lot, particularly the slow Windows 95 loading part. :D It's not my favourite Marvel film - that would be Thor Ragnarok - and one could cynically consider it as just a means of setting up Endgame (because that's essentially what it is) which is what I thought of Doctor Strange for Infinity War. Captain Marvel felt somewhat less perfunctory than that though, perhaps because it didn't follow the path I was expecting from the trailers (and bear in mind that I don't know any of the comic books). What I'd expected was for the film to start with Carol Danvers in the air force and then something to happen mid-flight that transported her to Cree space. I didn't expect the memory loss stuff and I'm not sure if Carol regained her pre-accident memory in full after ripping out the Cree implant, beating back the missiles and kicking Jude Law's ass. By the way, why wasn't Jude Law blue? Brie Larson was also a great choice for Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel. She certainly looks the part (i.e. fucking gorgeous in the red/blue/gold suit) and I like how she played Carol's slightly sarcastic, rebellious attitude. I'm looking forward to seeing how Captain Marvel fits in with Thor and Tony Stark. I'm also assuming that she doesn't age or ages very slowly as there are no superficial changes to her appearance in the Endgame trailers.

One big question that Captain Marvel raises is why the fuck didn't Fury call her up when Loki appeared in New York or when Ultron lifted an entire city into the sky? Those definitely counted as emergencies and she'd have been somewhat more helpful than Black Widow or Hawkeye. Maybe that will be answered in Endgame, but unless Fury did contact her then I doubt he'd have known that she was otherwise occupied. Since she stopped the Cree getting hold of the tesseract in the first place then it would have made sense for Fury to ask her to help prevent Loki from getting it. What even happened to the tesseract anyway? Was the infinity stone inside it the one that was part of Vision, and therefore obtained by Thanos in Infinity War?

Nope and for a very simple reason. Marvel's incredibly stupid decision to release their release calendar. Why should I care half these people die if their individual sequels have already been announced? Had Marvel kept their mouth shut about what movie is being released when, Infinity War would have been a very powerful movie, specially with Spider-Man. Instead I my reaction was, "Meh, I'll see him again in 2019."
I saw the Spider Man trailer before Captain Marvel and it felt a bit strange seeing it directly in sequence with the Endgame trailer as it means we know what the outcome of Endgame is. The Spider Man part of the MCU is probably the least interesting to me.

What even happened to the tesseract anyway? Was the infinity stone inside it the one that was part of Vision, and therefore obtained by Thanos in Infinity War?

Tesseract is the space stone, the one in Vision (originally in Loki's scepter) is the mind stone. Thor took the space stone to Asgard after The Avengers, Loki got it back in Ragnarok (or when he impersonated Odin) and gave it to Thanos at the start of Infinity War.

Last edited:
Tesseract is the space stone, the one in Vision (originally in Loki's scepter) is the mind stone. Thor took the space stone to Asgard after the Avengers, Loki got it back in Ragnarok (or when he impersonated Odin) and gave it to Thanos at the start of Infinity War.
What a wanker. I'm assuming he's not gone for good though. Loki is too good a character to be permakilled.

One big question that Captain Marvel raises is why the fuck didn't Fury call her up when Loki appeared in New York or when Ultron lifted an entire city into the sky? Those definitely counted as emergencies and she'd have been somewhat more helpful than Black Widow or Hawkeye.
Neither of those were extinction-level events. I get the feeling Fury was keeping Marvel in his back pocket for that style of event - what Nick saw at the end of Infinity War certainly qualifies.

It is possible that Nick would have popped his Marvel device if the Avengers failed in Avengers 1 or 2. However, they didn't, so he kept it in his back pocket.

Or, Marvel just hadn't thought that far ahead. ::)

What a wanker. I'm assuming he's not gone for good though. Loki is too good a character to be permakilled.

He did try and kill Thanos immediately after giving him the Tesseract and IIRC he traded it for Thor's life, so, good intentions and all that. I agree with the last part, but I hope they don't bring him back. His death was probably the most shocking in the whole film, I'd hate for that moment to be wasted.

Obviously, I thought we were talking in-universe here.

He did try and kill Thanos immediately after giving him the Tesseract and IIRC he traded it for Thor's life, so, good intentions and all that. I agree with the last part, but I hope they don't bring him back. His death was probably the most shocking in the whole film, I'd hate for that moment to be wasted.

http://whatculture.com/film/marvels-loki-tv-series-everything-we-know

Neither of those were extinction-level events
She didn't specify extinction level events, but was "extinction level" event not specifically mentioned in Age of Ultron? If I remember correctly, that's precisely what Ultron planned by dropping a city back down on the planet. Captain Marvel would've done a better job of stopping it.

I think this is very likely, but they'll probably try and write around the inconsistency in Endgame and future additions to the MCU.

I'd forgotten about the upcoming TV series. It says the show will follow Loki "throughout human history" which allows them to keep the mystery of Loki's fate alive. Marvel will keep saying that he's dead, right up until he's not. If Loki does return then it will be a significant part of the story and not one that Marvel will spoil willingly.

She didn't specify extinction level events, but was "extinction level" event not specifically mentioned in Age of Ultron? If I remember correctly, that's precisely what Ultron planned by dropping a city back down on the planet. Captain Marvel would've done a better job of stopping it.
Can't recall, who watched that one more than once?

I did, mostly to see if it was as bad on a second viewing (it was). But yeah, causing an "extinction level event" was the whole reason Ultron wanted to drop Sokovia out of the sky. You could still say that Fury was pretty confident in his and the Avengers' ability to prevent that from happening, when he saw everyone disappearing in Infinity War he likely (rightly) assumed they'd lost.

At 4:50 Ultron mentions extinction and at 8:20 says there will be "billions dead". It also says "the only living thing will be Metal". That sounds good to me! :rocker:

The events of Avengers 1 could ultimately have led to extinction of humans for all we know. It was an alien army with massive dragon things that even some super powered humans struggled to defeat. Marvel will have to find a way of getting around the absence of Captain Marvel in these critical moments. I reckon it's pretty easy for them to say that Fury knew she wouldn't be available at the drop of a hat (I doubt she was based in Earth's orbit) and that either incident would have been resolved either positively or negatively by the time she arrived (the Endgame trailer and Captain Marvel credits scene suggests that it will take her a while to show up), so calling her up was pointless. However, Fury waited until half the population was disintegrating before calling her up. She could have prevented that by turning up at Wakanda.

I hadn't realized that Andy Serkis' character was in Age of Ultron. I didn't find it particularly memorable, the extinction thing just popped into my head again.

What did Fury know about the events of Infinity War, though? Does he even know Wakanda exists or who Thanos is? He probably would've found out about the fights in New York and Edinburgh, but both were resolved pretty swiftly so there's a chance he didn't consider either of them something to call Captain Marvel for.

He definitely didn't seem to be involved. Did the Avengers cut ties with him once the infamous accords were signed?

He went into hiding after SHIELD collapsed in The Winter Solider, I believe he went off to Europe to fight the remnants of HYDRA (probably seen in Agents of Shield, never watched that myself). He turns up in Age of Ultron as I mentioned, but I don't think it's said where he goes after the final battle, then he isn't seen again until Infinity War. Can only imagine he went back to fighting HYDRA.

He went into hiding after SHIELD collapsed in The Winter Solider, I believe he went off to Europe to fight the remnants of HYDRA (probably seen in Agents of Shield, never watched that myself). He turns up in Age of Ultron as I mentioned, but I don't think it's said where he goes after the final battle, then he isn't seen again until Infinity War. Can only imagine he went back to fighting HYDRA.
I've only seen the first two series of Agents of Shield, but there's one episode where some old people try to take control of SHIELD away from Coulson and then Maria Hill phones up and the old people are pretty surprised.

That sounds much better than it probably is. :lol:

I've also just remember Fury's line in The Winter Soldier; "They can't kill you if you're already dead". He likely cut ties with the Avengers to keep his survival secret.

Part of it is also that the Avengers is Fury’s pet project. He probably believed (rightfully) that his team of heroes could do it without Marvel’s assistance.

Back