Metal Essentials I: Grandfathers of Metal (1970 - 1975) - FINAL ROUND - Zeppelin vs Sabbath

vote for your FAVORITE song in each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To narrow this album down to 7 songs, I eliminated low scoring songs from past survivors.

Oh, of course. I just never would have imagined "Greensleeves" scoring lower than "Snake Charmer" or "Black Sheep".

Speed King vs Man on the Silver Mountain
Bloodsucker vs Self Portrait
Child in Time
vs Black Sheep of the Family
Flight of the Rat vs Catch the Rainbow
Into the Fire
vs Snake Charmer
Living Wreck vs Temple of the King
Hard Lovin' Man vs Still I'm Sad

5-2 win for Rainbow.

Toughest choice was "Flight of the Rat" versus "Catch the Rainbow", both songs I like very much. In general In Rock is unlucky here - "Speed King" and "Living Wreck" are great, but can't do much when up against "Man on the Silver Mountain" and "Temple of the King".

I gotta say, even without the match-ups, I still think I prefer Rainbow as a whole. In Rock, for all the amazing individual performances by the band members, sounds like one huge jam-session (which it basically is), whereas the songs on Rainbow are properly structured and arranged.

The problem with Still I'm Sad is that the live versions are grand and awesome and have Dio on it.
The studio version is a short instrumental dominated by cowbells.

Greensleeves would do much better in this game.

Last edited:
This was harder than I thought.
I know every diamond and wrinkle on Rainbow and it should have a serious advantage, while this is the first time I've listened to In Rock.
But In Rock is really good.

Same here! I’ll keep it open til Sunday, is that cool?

That should work. I was hoping to find a vinyl copy of In Rock so I could listen to both on Vinyl but i guess CD is good enough for it...

Until last week, I haven't listen to Rainbow and I'm surprised how much I like this album. In Rock isn't my favorite Purple album, but still I though it would gain a win. It ended up 4-3 for Rainbow.

Still, I have to note that last pair was a bit wishy-washy, it could lean on either side. I also wanted to protest why isn't Black Night in the poll but later realized it was single, not on the album. (Same thing happened in last poll with When a Blind Man Cries).
I also have to say that If You Don't Like Rock n' Roll really kills the mood of the album.

And who the fu** keeps voting for hyphens?!?!

I voted for the hypens, I thought that's what you vote for when it's a draw??

It is not. They are only there to indicate that each vote counts as a head-to-head instead of an overall vote for every option. Voting for a draw is the same as not voting.

Until last week, I haven't listen to Rainbow and I'm surprised how much I like this album. In Rock isn't my favorite Purple album, but still I though it would gain a win. It ended up 4-3 for Rainbow.

Still, I have to note that last pair was a bit wishy-washy, it could lean on either side. I also wanted to protest why isn't Black Night in the poll but later realized it was single, not on the album. (Same thing happened in last poll with When a Blind Man Cries).
I also have to say that If You Don't Like Rock n' Roll really kills the mood of the album.

And who the fu** keeps voting for hyphens?!?!

I agree adding Black Night to In Rock instead of removing Greensleeves may have been a better choice.

SCG is one of my favourite Rainbow songs...

Man on the Silver Mountain / Bloodsucker / Child in Time / Catch the Rainbow / [undecided (yet)] / Temple of the King / Hard Lovin' Man.

3:3 :)

Man On The Silver Mountain V Speed King
Self Portrait V Bloodsucker
Black Sheep of the Family V Child In Time
Catch The Rainbow
V Flight of the Rat
Temple of The King V Livin Wreck
Snakecharmer V Into The Fire [Tie]
I'm Still Sad V Hard Lovin Man

Since there is a Tie I'll do:
Sixteenth Century Greensleeves V Black Night [Marked Under the tied bracket]

In Rock Wins 4-3