Megadeth

I loved Dystopia. Kiko shines on the album and he is easily the best guitarist Megadeth has ever had. Politics aside, the music kicks ass and it is the most Rust In Peace like album we have gotten.

Kiko shines on the album and he is easily the best guitarist Megadeth has ever had.
I still think Marty is the strongest, but outside of Rust In Peace he never really got much of a chance to shine given the stylistic changes they had along the way. I hope the same doesn't happen for Kiko, because he is damn great too.

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (1986)

Peace+Sells...+But+Who%27s+Buying.jpg

1. Wake Up Dead - With the band's debut, Megadeth placed themselves on the metal map as a band that would play with speed and agility and kick in the teeth of their rivals with ease. With their sophomore release - from thrash's critical year of 1986 - they doubled-down on that concept and upped the ante they'd set up with the first album. Right from the first track in, it's already far better than their debut album was. David Ellefson kicks the record off with a short bass intro before the guitars erupt in the listener's ear. Dave gives off an efficient verse that details what this whole thing is about - the bastard has been cheating on his girlfriend and doesn't wanna get his ass kicked. The solos here are absolutely stellar, screaming out in metallic delight, and then the band just gets into a groove and starts riffing away in an attempt to show their newly found power and might. A little way down the road Dave comes back in a fizz because he's worried that the truth will be revealed soon and he's gonna get fucked (not literally, obviously). We change up into a solo-y bit before we enter the title refrain that we close with. This song doesn't even really rely on vocals much, instead putting emphasis on the music over the words. And it works, spectacularly well. "Wake Up Dead" is one of metal's great opening songs, much more powerful than anything the debut had to offer. This line-up is exactly the same, but it's a tighter and more efficient group of musicians that have assembled it, and they kick a phenomenal amount of ass in the process. Simply put, this song fucking rocks. 10/10

2. The Conjuring - Oh fuck, look at how Satanic this band is, kids. I mean, listen to this guitar opening. You cannot tell me that it wasn't created in the infernal fires of Hades; no way any sort of mortal could come up with it, let alone play it. And that singer, man, it's not like he's good or anything, but it works stupidly well. Obviously demonic. And then the riffing here absolutely slays all competition. This demon person moves in and out with whatever devil shit he recorded those vocals with. Spooky! Oh god, oh fuck, they changed up into a grooving riff section. I can see Satan rising up from my bedroom window calling me beyond. Oh no, that's not Satan, it's just the "devil's advocate". I think he's calling for my soul. What to do, what to do? My newly-found master has summoned me to obey. Forsake ye Christians to the sights of Heaven, for I must dig deep into the abyss. Obey I shall. Ave Satanas! 10/10

3. Peace Sells - One of the most iconic basslines in metal played by our guy Dave, Jr., leads into a screaming guitar lick that brings us to Dave's verse, which isn't really singing so much as it is a pretty aggressive spoken piece that somehow works really, really well. The refrain utilizes more singing and despite being short it works really well. There's some cool soloing before the song changes up into a really cool piece that repeats the song title, similar to the title track on the debut. The big difference is that it works way better here. This song is short but pretty goddamn great nonetheless. It's catchy, it's cool, and it's a metal classic for a reason. #VoteMustaine2020 10/10

4. Devils Island - We've been through three different tiers of Hell so far - relationship Hell, literal Hell, and societal Hell - and now we head into the fourth tier, as Mustaine and the boys take us to the French penal colony we call "Devils Island". The opening packs a wallop and a half in terms of sheer force and destruction, and I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck Schuldiner heard it and revamped it into the slower but just as enthralling riff that kicks off "Pull The Plug". Meanwhile, Ellefson comes in for a bass fill before we run into the first verse, with Dave using his imperfect but effective vocals to set the scene in some of the fastest singing he's ever done. We're here on an island, held captive as a prisoner, with no escape possible. The chorus consists of nothing but the song's title, but they make it sound pretty fucking awesome. The bridge piece showcases that Our Father Who Art In Heaven has some sort of emotional stake in this poor captive and stops his execution with a storm that instead punishes those about to punish him. The solo announces the destruction of his enemies, but the final verse comes with the realization that though the prisoner is still alive, he's never getting off this damn place anyway. Some grade-A Megadeth riffage and soloing and we exit with the faster final chorus and the sound of a gate slamming shut. This song is my pick for the best one on the album. It takes all the bite that the previous ones have, but adds in a good does of imagery in creating a perfect but underrated thrashterpiece. Easily one of my favorite songs on the band and deserves more recognition than it's ever received. 10/10

5. Good Mourning / Black Friday - With the conclusion of the phenomenal Side A, you either have the choice to flip the album over to Side B or just listen to the first side over again. There are many times where I'd rather just do the latter, but I won't because I'm trying to review the entire entity. Point being this: Side B isn't half as memorable as Side A is. Not that the songs are bad or anything, they really aren't. Take this one for example, the double-packed "Good Mourning / Black Friday". Ha, see what they did there? It actually opens up Side B with a pretty nice, quieter guitar bit that feels unquestionably '80s but works really well despite that vibe. The downside is that when Dave says "good mourning" it feels kind of out-of-place. But we follow on as the guitars start to build up as the riff starts to kick in and the leads entwine into each other. Dave's vocals still seem a bit out of place on this verse but he does let off a nice shout. And then we speed up into the "Black Friday" part. It's kind of a weird transition honestly. Oh, hold up, we're changing up a bit again into a pretty paint-by-numbers Megadeth verse. It's not bad but it isn't outstanding either. Hold on, we're transitioning again into another faster bit. I don't really think Dave sounds as good here as he did on the first side of the album. I do think that the "I'm out to destroy and I will cut you down!" line is pretty great though, I'll give them that. Aside from that this song really isn't that outstanding. I think it's fine, it isn't bad by any means, but I don't love it. Could've been better. 7/10

6. Bad Omen - An eerie piece opens this song and leads into a heavy eruption that's actually pretty cool. This slowly builds into a pretty cool bass-driven piece that works its way into the verse. Like with the previous song, it really isn't that outstanding, but it's not bad by any means. There's some cool rising guitar that I like though. The song seems to come to a complete stop, but pumps right back into an even faster riff section that's kinda badass. This second piece is definitely better than the first and takes the whole thing to a bit of the next level. The one issue with this song is that it's the one I come out remembering the least of, but it's actually quite nice when actually listening to it. I think on that basis I can round up the score. 8/10

7. I Ain't Superstitious - This cover song opens with a pretty neat guitar piece before setting into a grooving blues-gone-metal bit. Dave details his lack of superstition as he and Chris Poland wank about their guitars. Whole lotta swearin' goin' on, as an aside. Don't play this song for your kids. The song speeds up eventually but I still don't think it's that great. Not that this is a terrible song or anything, but it's the biggest lowpoint of the album and it's one of the reasons why I disagree with the notion that this is one of the best metal albums ever. I do like this album, but I wish they'd been more creative and not just thrown a cover in. Definitely prefer "These Boots". 6/10

8. My Last Words - Another quiet and eerie piece opens up the final song on the album, and it provides a perfect amount of build-up to lead into the actual bulk of the song. A fast riff runs into the eardrums and it makes this song quite a banger. The verse here is pretty awesome, with Mustaine detailing the thoughts of someone about to participate in Russian roulette. Ellefson's basswork here is the driving heartbeat of the song and it helps everything work to a T. This one's frantic and forlorn and that feeling is broadcast quite well by the band. I think the change-up piece kinda wonks out for a bit before it starts actually moving, which is one lowpoint in an otherwise great song. There's some cool soloing before Dave starts calling on the YOU - NEXT VICTIM! It's a fantastic ending to a pretty strong album, and the riffing here is pretty fucking aggressive. This song is almost perfect - almost - and I'm glad the album ends on a high note. 9/10

Peace Sells... really takes a lot of what the debut was going for and takes it to the next level. Side A is fucking perfect, and while Side B isn't quite that good, the whole work is pretty strong as a whole. Megadeth would get a bit better down the line, but it really showed that this band was able to hold its own amongst its rivals, particularly in a year where both Metallica and Slayer both released genre-defining pieces. Mustaine and Co. bit down hard and riffed their way into the history books, and if it's anything, Peace Sells... is absolutely rifftastic.

Rating: 88%

Great album, it's never really clicked with me though. It's definitely not my favorite. I love 'Wake Up Dead' and 'Peace Sells' though.

Great album. Surprised you ended up rating Good Mourning/Black Friday low, one of the more well-liked songs on the album.

Wake Up Dead is my favorite Megadeth song. Super groovy.

Surprised you ended up rating Good Mourning/Black Friday low, one of the more well-liked songs on the album.
Yeah, never really clicked with me.

As an aside, Peace Sells... is one of the Megadeth albums I've heard in full before this discography listen, the others being Rust In Peace, United Abominations, and Dystopia.

Yeah, never really clicked with me.

As an aside, Peace Sells... is one of the Megadeth albums I've heard in full before this discography listen, the others being Rust In Peace, United Abominations, and Dystopia.
You haven’t heard Countdown To Extinction in full?
That’s their Black Album.

Back