European Politics

Good insight — I just gathered that the CDU see her as carrying on Merkel’s legacy policy-wise.

No, that is exactly what the CDU does not want, and none of the candidates who stood any sort of chance stood for Merkel's policy in general.

No, that is exactly what the CDU does not want, and none of the candidates who stood any sort of chance stood for Merkel's policy in general.

You’d know better than I.

The press make AKK out to be “mini-Merkel” and cast it as though Merkel backed her but I see she’s more centre-left on economics and more conservative than Merkel on some social issues. She seems to align with Merkel where immigration/refugees are concerned.

Alex Salmond - Scotland's former First Minister - has been arrested and charged. The police haven't said what for yet, but he was being investigated for sexual harassment.

Lock. Him. Up.

So what's this second referendum crap? I thought Brexit was a done deal, but for at least a month May seems to be embroiled in a "Oh never mind, we want to stay!" fight with the rest of parlaiment.

A question for Brits. Best asked using a following map

ertv48shcyc21.png

So Norway and Iceland's fishing is too important factor of their economies to have any EU-imposed limits. Do you have an industry that has a meaningful share of GDP that was severely gimped by EU membership, that would bloom and separate itself like those two on the upper map?

Pretty interesting. The Good Country Index measures countries' contribution to the common good of humanity. Turns out Bulgaria is pretty altruistic, ranking at number 11. If only it could be a little more selfish and contributed to the good of its own citizens...

What's your country doing for the rest of us? Discuss!

Croatia in between Colombia and Guatemala down on 60 something...The map is flawed there's no happiness due to drugs category. :D

Let's break it down :

42nd in sci output - for our pitiful spending in the science r&d, I thought it's gonna be even worse
32nd in culture output - don't understand this measurement in detail
82nd in support of global order - very average
118th in prosperity and equality - i think this is very far off and should be in average domain
107th in health and wellbeing -
I may not understand those, but it's not important, we're left with two that are :

126th in international peace and security
9th in planet and climate

Edit - more in detail when you click the country

International students - full negative score
International publications - full positive score
Arms exports - full negative score
Environmental agreements - full positive score

I don't get the "Internet security" 90% negative score. You need a court warrant to snoop on Internet users, police routinely persecutes abusers and threats over social networks, etc. I don't see it anywhere off "free country" average.

For the rest, it is pretty much OK however the site cannot go into detail. Croatia's arms exports go to USA for law enforcement primarily. Our chief products are NATO chambered bullpup assault rifle and a service pistol someone here might know as Springfield XD and the chief market is the USA so this does not impact world peace as shipping the same quantity of weapons to Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
118th in prosperity and equality - i think this is very far off and should be in average domain
107th in health and wellbeing -this is extremely far off. All things considered, Croatia is top 25 quality of life country.
These are surprising indeed and sound off. I wonder how much the war played a role in these assessments.

Edit: Bulgaria measures negatively in charity giving (severely negative), development assistance and press freedom (slightly negative).

I deleted QOL part from my post because it doesn't affect other countries. This is wrong perspective, it is international impact, e.g. how outsiders from outside perceive you. If you click on the subcategory you can see the breakdown - we are not a big donor to WHO, we don't give much to charity, provide space for refugees, etc.

Russian Federation - Full positive score on arms exports, 90% positive score on Internet security.

Bunch of hippies ready to be conquered by Croatian world peace destabilizing forces.

Maduro throwing around some whataboutisms, but from that I learned PM is not direct democratic vote in Spain, it is sworn in by the congress.

Back