European Politics

The domestic production relies on hydro (about 60%) and coal (20%). Wind, sun and gas follow. Clean domestic production is about 70% while share of domestic production in overall consumption is cca 60%. Slo and us also split atoms together at the border but the plant is registered in Slovenia and thus treated as import in Croatia.

Hydro potential in Dinaric parts of the country - Dalmatia, Lika, Kvarner, Mountain County and Istria - was accessible from the get go, and the strategy for these parts of the country was always hydro, so from necessity in early 20th century it aligned with modern views on energy today. The town of Sibenik I believe is first or among the first places in Europe to get electrical powered city lights sometime in mid 1890s. The plant still exists today and it's located inside or close to a national park in Krka river.

It also helps that country was open for the most of the 20th century, excluding wartime and a decade immediately after WW2, important for technology imports and ability to track and follow standards set by (then) western Europe. No need for additional hire of contractors that would certify and/or bring stuff up to standard - an extra cost that countries relying on Soviet/Eastern tech had to pay, regardless of the Soviet stuff in some cases being better than western. The mentioned Krsko nuke is built around a Westinghouse reactor, for example. Everything nicely played out and energy is slowly evolving with the same plan it had in mid-20th century while being up to times :)

Meanwhile, a third of Europeans in the poll said they knew just a little or nothing at all about the Holocaust,

I call horse shit on this poll. Who did they interview? 6 year olds??

I agree that’s a bit overarching to classify 7 countries as “Europe.”

What collateral effect do you anticipate the inclusion of Spain, Portugal, Italy, the Baltic nations, Greece, etc would have had on the results?

Well, Spain was under a fascist dictatorship for nearly 40 years and one of the pillars of Franco's regime was the Judeo-Masonic conspiracy theory...

A third of Europeans said that Jews use the Holocaust to advance their own positions or goals.

I do not believe this must equate to antisemitism in all cases. Some people just don't properly differentiate between Jews and State of Israel.

Also "Jews" really fuels the conspiracy theorists, they're obviously in each one, from WTC to Illuminati, Soros, Masonic Lodge, everywhere. A bit of a fertile ground. With that in mind I say 1/4 is not too many considering it is normalized (inclusion of Poland and Hungary). All that it matters is that other 3/4 still know how lynch mob easily turns into Holocaust.

The most problematic current outbreak of anti-Semitism is the notion that Jews are trying to destroy Western civilization via cultural Marxism. It's not an unpopular view, it's the position of the alt-right and alt-lite, which are the most vibrant conservative movements going on at the moment. The last time a large political movement embraced the position that there was a Judeomarxist plot to destroy Western civilization, it led to the Holocaust.

It's definitely something to keep in mind, because far-right movements continue to gain momentum across the West and anti-Semitism is a feature in all of them.

Which is the scary part. We're starting to approach the situation where you can't tell if a text was written in 2018 or 1933.

With that in mind I say 1/4 is not too many considering it is normalized (inclusion of Poland and Hungary). All that it matters is that other 3/4 still know how lynch mob easily turns into Holocaust.

The inclusion of Poland and Hungary doesn’t mean it’d be a rosey picture of tolerance otherwise.

From the article:
“Lack of Holocaust knowledge is particularly striking among young people in France: One out of five people there between the ages of 18 and 34 said they’d never heard of it.”

Last edited:
The most problematic current outbreak of anti-Semitism is the notion that Jews are trying to destroy Western civilization via cultural Marxism. It's not an unpopular view, it's the position of the alt-right and alt-lite, which are the most vibrant conservative movements going on at the moment.

Yes, anti-semitism is the sick punchline to most modern reactionary (alt-right, etc) identity politics movements. I think in part because it gives the predominately straight white males who follow far right rhetoric a means to classify themselves as victims of another group.

Bari Weiss from the NYT also used the CNN poll to criticize the radical left:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/opinion/antisemitism-europe-jews.html

Last edited:
Croatian firms cannot fill at least 30,000 jobs, largely in tourism, which accounts for almost 20 percent of gross domestic product, and in construction, retail and manufacturing

30.000 maids and bartenders, low-key clerks, construction workers, factory line workers, and point of sale personell.
If you paid these people the money they deserve, then that wouldn't be a problem.

A lot of people around me, obviously, work in the tourism "industry". It is not a good place for a worker. The employer invests zero in enabling or education and expects these people to work in harshest conditions for a pay that would be classified as "very good" for a normal city caffe bartender, but there they see how it is actually dozen of them running the place that gets its owner a new Mercedes every month. So people had a few years of that and it was enough. Most of them probably invested whatever little they have saved from the tourism "gig" smartly while swearing they won't do that shit ever again.

Back