Blaze Bayley

I’d never heard Blaze’s solo work before the Blaze ranking thread, and my impressions posted there were after 1 or 2 listens. I’ve picked up almost all of his solo albums since then (no need for The King Of Metal, thanks), and I’ve warmed to some of the material a bit more.

After repeated listens, I have to say that Tenth Dimension is the one I consistently come back to the most, with Blood & Belief close behind. The production is great on these, the songwriting is mostly solid, and there are a few great tracks along with a lot of OK-to-good ones.

The Man Who Would Not Die and Promise And Terror have consistently great music, but Blaze’s bad phrasing and uneven vocal performances drag them both down. That said, there are some gems in the mix, including IMO Blaze’s best solo song and vocal performance on “While You Were Gone”.

The Infinite Entanglement trilogy is enjoyable, and has a few great songs with an interesting back story. My main issues with these are weak production, a feeling of sameness and rehash in the songwriting, and some of the weird quirks in Blaze’s new approach to singing (see the end of “Escape Velocity”). I will say that he’s much better at hitting the notes on these albums, at least when he’s trying to, which makes me wonder if he took some singing lessons. Also, after repeated listens I think “Escape Velocity” may have the best chorus of any of his solo tracks.

The King Of Metal is a steaming pile of garbage with a couple of moderately OK tracks on it. No need to say anything more.

Which brings me back to the big puzzle of Blaze’s solo discography, Silicon Messiah. Most people seem to think this is far and away his best solo album, but I just don’t get it. It’s not terrible or anything, and there are certainly some good moments, but I generally find it to be mediocre when it’s not being openly plagiaristic. So many of the vocal lines meander around without landing on the notes, and large parts of the album are just mindless nu-metal crunch to me. And the number of parts that are directly cribbed from other bands’ songs is pretty appalling. Let’s review:
  • The chorus vocal line from “Ghost In The Machine” bears a striking resemblance to the guitar line from the chorus of Iron Saviour and Gamma Ray’s “Watcher In The Sky” from 1997.
  • The outro groove on “Evolution” is lifted from Metallica’s cover of “The Wait”.
  • The vocal line in the title track is lifted from Yngwie Malmsteen’s “Disciples Of Hell”, while the descending guitar bit came straight from Queensrÿche’s “Spreading The Disease”.
  • The delivery of the verses in both “Born As A Stranger” and “The Launch” directly mimic “Man On The Edge”.
  • The outro of “The Hunger” is lifted from Queensrÿche’s “I Don’t Believe In Love”.
His later albums don’t crib on this level, aside from going back to the “Man On The Edge” well a few more times.

So, yeah. Silicon Messiah. I don’t get it. His second worst solo album, IMO.

Does anyone know which 2019 Blaze shows would feature the 25th anniversary of him joining Maiden setlist? I could not find the information anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Even though the 2019 North American tour hasn't been announced yet (as far as I can tell), tickets are now available for Blaze's show at the Rockpile in Etobicoke (western suburb of Toronto) on Friday May 10th. Tickets are $30 including service charges - I just bought mine.

Even though the 2019 North American tour hasn't been announced yet (as far as I can tell), tickets are now available for Blaze's show at the Rockpile in Etobicoke (western suburb of Toronto) on Friday May 10th. Tickets are $30 including service charges - I just bought mine.
Hopeful he comes through Ottawa or Montreal on the Saturday!

The chorus vocal line from “Ghost In The Machine” bears a striking resemblance to the guitar line from the chorus of Iron Saviour and Gamma Ray’s “Watcher In The Sky” from 1997.
It's similar, but the chorus as a whole is different enough that both can be enjoyable for two different reasons. Blaze's is more dark and menacing while Gamma Ray's is more thrashy, possibly optimistic, and has a higher pitch in singing. The similarity doesn't ruin the song.

The outro groove on “Evolution” is lifted from Metallica’s cover of “The Wait”.
It took me several listens of both songs to kinda get what you were talking about here, and even then I feel it's a stretch. Not that similar to my ears.

The vocal line in the title track is lifted from Yngwie Malmsteen’s “Disciples Of Hell”
Okay, this one I can see a little better, but it's still not like it's done exactly the same. They use it differently and I feel like there's a tempo difference as well. It's too different vocalists as well, so that makes all the difference, as Blaze does it lower than Soto does, to better effect I might add.

while the descending guitar bit came straight from Queensrÿche’s “Spreading The Disease”.
I really don't see any similarities between either song here, sorry.

The delivery of the verses in both “Born As A Stranger” and “The Launch” directly mimic “Man On The Edge”.
Yes, but like I've said before, it's done again really well in my opinion and works better than the first time. A person will either like them for it, or dislike them for it.

The outro of “The Hunger” is lifted from Queensrÿche’s “I Don’t Believe In Love”.
This one is similar but again, it feels different and definitely can't ruin the song.

All of these similarities are either similar but work different, or not as similar to my ears as you seem to think. If they are, then they were probably subconsciously done and I really don't see why they'd be deterring because they don't smack one over the head or reek of plagiarism. They're only elements, and again, some of these claims don't feel strong enough as a whole.

Besides, plagiarism didn't deter you from giving "Hallowed Be Thy Name" a 10/10 and you didn't even bring up the stolen elements in your reviews of both it and "The Nomad". I don't think plagiarism really matters much in the long run so long as the end product is great. Led Zeppelin is the biggest example of this. I think overall a lot of this is just nitpicking because you don't like the songs, which is fine, but I still don't think a lot of this is as similar as it sounds, and if it is, it doesn't matter as much as you think.

It took me several listens of both songs to kinda get what you were talking about here, and even then I feel it's a stretch. Not that similar to my ears.
If you set aside the ascending note bits in the Metallica track there’s a strong similarity, IMO. And the Blaze band used Metallica-style elements in a number of spots, so I doubt it’s a coincidence. I can see how this one might not pop to everyone, but it stands out to me every time.
I really don't see any similarities between either song here, sorry.
The descending guitar bit in “Spreading The Disease” right after the opening drum fill follows the same line, just in a different key and playing the chords directly instead of arpeggiating them.
All of these similarities are either similar but work different, or not as similar to my ears as you seem to think.
I’m not sure what this sentence is supposed to mean. :huh:
If they are, then they were probably subconsciously done and I really don't see why they'd be deterring because they don't smack one over the head or reek of plagiarism.
Well, they smack at least one over the head, because they do that to me. :p

You can hear the influence of Queensrÿche, Metallica, and Gamma Ray in all of those first three Blaze albums (Zakk Wylde, Priest, and Maiden too), and that’s great when it’s just an influence. On Tenth Dimension and Blood & Belief that’s all it is. But at least for me, Silicon Messiah repeatedly crosses the line from homage into cribbing.
Besides, plagiarism didn't deter you from giving "Hallowed Be Thy Name" a 10/10 and you didn't even bring up the stolen elements in your reviews of both it and "The Nomad".
I’m completely unfamiliar with the Beckett songs that were apparently ripped off, so I’m not in a position to judge. If Harris stole lyrics and music, which it sounds like he did, then he should be held accountable for it.

I wouldn’t say that most Maiden fans would be likely to be familiar with Beckett prior to those accusations. But most people listening to a Blaze Bayley album would be familiar with Metallica, Queensrÿche, and Gamma Ray; and the parts lifted from Queensrÿche and Gamma Ray are from some of their most well-known songs.
I think overall a lot of this is just nitpicking because you don't like the songs, which is fine
Your telepathy machine must be on the fritz, because once again you’re dead wrong about my motives. I don’t start from an opinion and then troll around for evidence to support my beliefs — I start from evidence and form my opinions from it. I listened to these songs with an open mind and these were the impressions that they left. If you disagree with them, that’s fine.

Blaze is so proud that Maiden is still performing songs from his era. He is happy with the recent praise from Steve about the two albums with him and he really want to write a song with Adrian. Well, he can invite him to write one song for his next solo album... and he can also invite Bruce, maaaan, I really want to see a song co-written by Blaze and Bruce.... Bruce and Blaze duet.... Do it Blaze ! It seems he is very grateful to Bruce and they're friends. Blaze is such a class act and a very humble person. :)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bl...orming-two-songs-from-his-time-with-the-band/

Last edited:
That whole thing came directly from the Talking Maiden podcast. Should be a link to it in their thread.

Interesting, it sounds like it influenced the concept for the Infinite Entanglement-trilogy too.

Actually, the "sheer force of will can get you further than talent"-part might just be the most accurate description of Blaze's career in general.

Don't get me wrong, I probably like his voice and music more than most people, but there's is no doubt that it's because of him working his ass off and never giving up that he's where he is today, rather than his vocal talent (or lack thereof, as some would say). As to whether he has gone further than he would had he been in possession of a voice like Bruce's, for example, is debatable, but the man deserves credit for his strength and determination.
The guy is an absolute hero. Just indomitable spirit

At some summer festivals.

These are the festivals that have been mentioned at the official Fan Club forum:

Sweden Rock, SWE - 5-7 Jun
Rock The Coast Festival, Spain, 14- 15 Jun
Mannried Open Air, SWI - 8-10 Aug
Dark River Festival, FIN - 9-10 Aug

Info about the upcoming CD/DVD release of Blaze - ''Live In France'' (will be released in March 1st this year) -> http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/blaze-bayley-to-release-live-in-france-cd-dvd-in-march/

The track list for the live album and DVD is as follows:

Redeemer
2.Are You Here
3.Futureal
4.The First True Sign
5.Silicon Messiah
6.Dawn Of The Dead Son
7.Escape Velocity
8.Fight Back
9.Prayers Of Light
10.Virus
11.Independence
12.Immortal One
13.Human
14.Calling You Home
15.Endure And Survive
16.The Angel And The Gambler
17.Man On The Edge
18.A Thousand Years
19.Infinite Entanglement
20.Dark Energy 256

"The Angel and the Gambler"? Really? Otherwise a solid setlist, though it needs moar Tenth Dimension.

"The Angel and the Gambler"? Really? Otherwise a solid setlist, though it needs moar Tenth Dimension.

I think the setlist is built around the recent ''trilogy'' of Blaze.

TAATG live - ohhhh yes... :lol:

Last edited:
They’ve changed up the song recently to make it more interesting to audiences, so don’t knock it till you hear it.

Info about the upcoming CD/DVD release of Blaze - ''Live In France'' (will be released in March 1st this year) -> http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/blaze-bayley-to-release-live-in-france-cd-dvd-in-march/

The track list for the live album and DVD is as follows:

Redeemer
2.Are You Here
3.Futureal
4.The First True Sign
5.Silicon Messiah
6.Dawn Of The Dead Son
7.Escape Velocity
8.Fight Back
9.Prayers Of Light
10.Virus
11.Independence
12.Immortal One
13.Human
14.Calling You Home
15.Endure And Survive
16.The Angel And The Gambler
17.Man On The Edge
18.A Thousand Years
19.Infinite Entanglement
20.Dark Energy 256

Wow, I used to be a big BLAZE fan of the first line up, and kept in touch up to Promise and Terror, but I reckon other than the Maiden tracks the only one I know there is Silicon Messiah

Wow, I used to be a big BLAZE fan of the first line up, and kept in touch up to Promise and Terror, but I reckon other than the Maiden tracks the only one I know there is Silicon Messiah
It is based around the Trilogy, so if you missed that then that explains it.

Back