The Longest Day

How good is The Longest Day on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Dude, some people love “The Apparition”. Why don’t people except that? I think the crazy thing is to consider it a turd and despise it altogether.
I was joking that we could both agree with that statement even though the meaning would be totally different for each of us.

I don't hate "The Apparition", I gave it a 5/10.

Very good song. The chorus and the verses are great. Great riff (like the bass line and the drums), the intro is majestic, great solos and triple guitar harmonies. Very melodic song, Bruce shines through it. 9/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
I've spoken about why I dislike this song a lot. Amazing intro, building verses, explosive pre-chorus, and a bland, repetitive chorus that goes nowhere. Once it passes, the verses and pre-chorus feel trite and not even the instrumental can save this song. It's one that could have been great had it been severely edited, but alas. 4

7/10. While I used to like this song more, it has just lost its favor with me. The buildup through the first verse and prechorus is great. The chorus is okay. I'm a big fan of the instrumental.

Really like the difference between the takes on the pre-chorus on this recording.
Bruce sounds a lot more strained during the second take, really ads to the song's lyrics as well, with the second wave of soldiers reaching the beach.

Really no copy and paste with Shirley. :)

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

During my first listenings I thought it was nearly perfect. Especially the entering of the drums in the intro, a great moment! The lyrics and atmosphere created here is something else and fits very well the D-day theme.

Last edited:

A very polarising song. The atmosphere of the verses is fantastic, and it has a really good solo section as well. The section around ~5:50 is especially good! Every time I start the song up, I feel like I'm underrating it. The chorus then kills it for me, though.

Back