Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 3 3.7%

Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 17 21.0%

Votes: 17 21.0%

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
Another slow intro after an album chock full of them. Blaze sounds a little better on the soft stuff than on most of the equivalent material on The X Factor, but he's still inconsistent and a bit off key. The back and forth between the softer and harder sections is kind of interesting, but goes on a bit too long.

After 2 minutes of this we do a hard left turn into what feels like a completely different song with a pretty good Maiden vibe. Blaze's delivery is sloppy, but mostly works until the chorus, where his attempts to harmonize with himself completely fall down. When you can't hit and hold your notes, and when your vibrato and tremolo are inconsistent, singing on top of yourself sounds terrible -- a chorus of bleating goats is what comes to mind for me in this case.

Blaze tries to hold the note at the end of the chorus, but fails miserably, wavering off-key until he contorts it into an awkward "yeah". The musical interlude that follows is fine, but nothing special. The choral accompaniment is nice, though.

"The rats in the cellar, you know who you are" is delivered poorly, almost like he's doing an ironic punk take on it...but he's not. His self-harmonization on "or do you" actually sounds pretty good, though.

The song should have ended there, but we get another unnecessary callback to the intro, because that was apparently Steve's thing during this time period.

Another mixed bag from Blaze-era Maiden. Some strong positives and some equally strong negatives. 5/10.
I don’t hear any of this stuff you’re saying about blazes voice at all

I don’t hear any of this stuff you’re saying about blazes voice at all
Here you go...
2d7df4cf-2d53-47a3-b3d0-6718a40f97f8_1.ba44a8460483ee9245a582afafa7b81a.jpeg

Love the Single cut version (8/10) but the calm beggining with those wtf bursts completely undermines the integral version (5/10)

To me, the buildup is an integral part of the song. Without it, the return to it in the end makes zero sense and sounds terribly misplaced. Plus the way the cut version starts sounds forced, you can definitely tell something is missing.

To me, the buildup is an integral part of the song. Without it, the return to it in the end makes zero sense and sounds terribly misplaced. Plus the way the cut version starts sounds forced, you can definitely tell something is missing.

The build is alright but doesn't need 4 verses, but the "rape of the mind" section is abysmal.

The single version doesn't start like this. It has a proper start on the first compass (this was the only youtube example I found and of course some seconds were clipped at the beggining)... and, with the exception of the last seconds, the 2nd section has little to nothing to do with the 1st part.

Here are the 2 versions that came together in a fold back in the day:

https://mikeladano.com/2012/11/10/review-iron-maiden-virus-1996-single-metal-for-muthas-1979/

Re: Daily Song: Virus

WTF? Someone really gave this a 1? It's really in the worst bunch of Maiden songs? :blink: :blink:

Actually, this is just as bad as the person that gave a Powerslave a 2 (again a mystery voter)!
A 1 seems too high for this song. This is by far the worst song IM have ever done. Nothing comes close to it in terms of suckiness.

Not a 1 by any stretch but far from a 10. I want to continue to live in my perfect world and believe the only version atround is the single edit :D:D:D

I don't think it's fair to knock off a point for the video. I love this song. Whenever I hear that riff I immediately perk up and think "ah, my day just got better!"

10/10

(But why are the numbers in such a strange order ??? :confused:)

Back