Steve Harris

It looks like the Toronto show has been moved from the Queen Elizabeth Theatre (capacity - 1,250) to The Great Hall (capacity - 480). I've been checking Ticketmaster and it looked like the seats just weren't selling (I don't think more than 250-300 or so).

I've never been to The Great Hall, but I'm pretty sure it standing room only (probably better for this type of show anyway).

(Source - see the British Lion Facebook page, or else check Ticketmaster - fortunately it says the original tickets will be honoured).
Yes, Steve said the venue change in the interview I posted above ;)

Definitely like the song, good riff and pretty banging durin the final section.
Mix is poor, hard to understand how professionals end up with something like that. 2 guitars are really playin second fiddle to the bass and theres definitely times when the guitars are inaudible. I can only assume that it is 100% intentional and thats just how Steve wants it.
The singer is a mixed bag for me, some sections of this song he sounds great and sometimes not. Not quite sure what it is, maybe its his lower register and/or choice in melody I have a problem with. Overall, good song and il get the album when its out.
Yup, not bad at all, but feel like I've heard it before, feel like I've heard it before.
Singer is two dimes a dozen, not awful but meh.

I agree with Brigs though, hes much better live. In response to @matu maybe I was a bit harsh and its all a matter of taste but I still feel that the guitars are too low at times. Maiden have this problem too, I find.
Shame they had to downsize that gig. Hope it doesn't happen too often.

https://omny.fm/shows/rock-talk-with-mitch-lafon/iron-maidens-steve-harris-and-gilby-clarke

On this episode of Westwood's One Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - new interviews with Iron Maiden's Steve Harris, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke and co-host Alan Niven.

In the show's first interview Iron Maiden's Steve Harris discusses his band British Lion, their current tour, their upcoming live album, finishing their second album and already starting on a third, retirement and should Iron Maiden be in the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame.

We close the episode with former Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke. He talks about his current tour, the MC5, being inactive for a while, his new album, Pawnshop Guitars, Guns N' Roses and a whole lot more.

I went to the British Lion show in Toronto last night - it was a great experience.

It was my first time at the Great Hall (a smaller venue - it has a capacity of 400-500, and it didn't look like it was close to selling out). The biggest negative? The bar closed right after the set ended, and we were soon kicked out; but the acoustics were good. After waiting in the cold and rain, I was able to secure a spot, pretty much front row centre, where I met @harrisdevot

Coney Hatch opened. I wasn't familiar with their music before the show. It was a good set - a dozen solid, hard rock songs. Pretty good stage presence and energy.

British Lion's set was excellent. Without getting into the specifics, they played the majority of their first album (many of those songs were played a bit heavier than on the album, which suited them). They also played several "new" songs (which they've been playing live for years, and will presumably be on their upcoming album). I believe one of those songs had never been played before live.

I agree that the singer was underwhelming on their debut, but he sounded more forceful and confident. I mean, he's not Bruce Dickinson, but he was solid. It was thrilling seeing Steve Harris playing two meters away from - it was remarkable to see the level of energy he maintained over the ~80 minute set. I was also able to play close attention to the technical aspects of what he was playing (useful as I've been trying to learn how to play some of the songs from the debut on bass). The band seemed to be having lots of fun.

Sadly I can't go to the Waterloo show tonight, but I'd recommend anyone reading this who's undecided to check out the band. If you liked their debut (as I did), they sound quite a bit better live. Even if you didn't like the band, it's worth seeing a show - where else can you (more or less) guarantee yourself a chance to watch Harris play 2-3 meters away from you?

Sadly I can't go to the Waterloo show tonight, but I'd recommend anyone reading this who's undecided to check out the band. If you liked their debut (as I did), they sound quite a bit better live. Even if you didn't like the band, it's worth seeing a show - where else can you (more or less) guarantee yourself a chance to watch Harris play 2-3 meters away from you?
Can't wait. Was there any chance at meeting Steve after or did he just disappear?

Yep, not wheeling out Steve's cutout cardboard with the "meeting fans" smile and holding the fictitious umbrella is not fair!

45265387_2241121992626508_886189514240819200_n.jpg

21105473_1652357681464823_3928760775915778329_n.jpg

Joking aside, I bet the "no meet and greets" policy is going to be a disappointment to many people who expect to meet Steve at the British Lion gigs.

Congratulations! Do you have any pics?

I do - I'll post them later on.

I was really excited to meet him after waiting in the cold & rain for over an hour. But thinking back, I feel somewhat bad - he looked pretty tired and I'm sure I wouldn't want to be accosted by strangers at 12:30 AM either. Although I recognize I being selfish - I still think I'd do it again.

No meets and greets indeed, but I saw him twice. I've been waiting since 2 p.m. with two english girls and a Canadian guy, and he showed up at approx. 5 p.m. for the sounchecks. So he recognized us, had a quick chat and a nice smile and took photos with those there. So, if you want to see him, that's not an impossible task.
As @BloodOnTheBassistsHands (whom I'm delighted to have met) said, the show was great. It was a really intimate venue, and Tony Newton is doing a great job at the mixing desk. The new song sounds really good. And, hell, at the end of the gig, he directly threw me his wristband. 32 years waiting to get one of these sweaty pieces of tissue, and finally I got it.

Last edited:
Meet and greet is a punk thing, and Steve is a prog snob :D

No meets and greets indeed, but I saw him twice. I've been waiting since 2 p.m. with two english girls and a Canadian guy, and he showed up at approx. 5 p.m. for the sounchecks. So he recognized us, had a quick chat and a nice smile and took photos with those there. So, if you want to see him, that's not an impossible task.
As @BloodOnTheBassistsHands (whom I'm delighted to have met) said, the show was great. It was a really intimate venue, and Tony Newton is doing a great job at the mixing desk. The new song sounds really good. And, hell, at the end of the gig, he directly threw me his wristband. 32 years waiting to get one of these sweaty pieces of tissue, and finally I got it.

Thanks for the review and congratulations on catching the wristband! Don't forget to wash it! :D

Back