THE BOOK OF SOULS: LIVE CHAPTER - New Live Album! - November 17th

Speed of Light and Empire of the Clouds are not there either.

Oh yeah, and some other ''Best Of'' compilations... this site could be more informative with more pictures of the band, Eddie, more info about the tours (stage sets, setlists), interviews and other great stuff...

Why was Tears of a Clown left out? I understand Hallowed, but why Tears? Also no shows from the states? I was at Madison Square garden, the sound was great and the crowd were into it, should’ve taken a song from that show. I do have a decent sounding bootleg of that particular show though.

Why was Tears of a Clown left out? I understand Hallowed, but why Tears? Also no shows from the states? I was at Madison Square garden, the sound was great and the crowd were into it, should’ve taken a song from that show. I do have a decent sounding bootleg of that particular show though.

The whole thing was below the Maiden standards - no DVD and Tears of a Clown should have been added as a bonus song !

The whole thing was below the Maiden standards - no DVD and Tears of a Clown should have been added as a bonus song !

Still it's my favorite Maiden concert video or DVD. The energy, performance and set list are incredible. I also love the clarity of the sound - great production! I watch it regularly. It's great with a little smoke!

Well, not releasing a Blu-ray/DVD might qualify as "below Maiden standards", but not including Tears of a Clown - and I would've loved that, mind you - does not. :D The release was built around the 2017 set, even though most of the songs were filmed & recorded in 2016, and it's not like they've included any other bonus songs from another tour legs to any recent live release. Sad as it is.

I still dream of Tears of a Clown 7" (+digital) with that backdrop artwork as cover art and the live version of the song included. :)

I made some posts giving my opinion on why there is no Maiden exclusive Blu-ray releases, which were in essence educated and qualified opinions and conclusions on Blu-ray technology and Blu-ray adoption. I got attacked by one ex-member who saw my comments as irrelevant nerd fest and had opinion that all that it mattered about Blu-ray is that you can see HD tits on the screen. Normally the business world of technology is a bit more complicated, you know?

Anyways I don't think there'll be Maiden Blu-rays in future and DVD is a bit obsolete, while still viable (En Vivo looks great in full HD, upscaling doesn't matter if there are no artifacts to be seen). However the idea of physical media in physical packaging appeals to sizable amounts of the fan base (myself included), and they should look into read only USB keys shipped in the standard DVD box format.

BlueTit-Chicks-jessowey-from-down-under-and-friends-39481246-1920-1200.jpg

Anyways I don't think there'll be Maiden Blu-rays in future and DVD is a bit obsolete, while still viable (En Vivo looks great in full HD, upscaling doesn't matter if there are no artifacts to be seen). However the idea of physical media in physical packaging appeals to sizable amounts of the fan base (myself included), and they should look into read only USB keys shipped in the standard DVD box format.
The market for those would be even more limited and the costs a massive increase over optical media, so it's unfortunately not a realistic plan. If anything, limited Blu-ray box releases for fans would be the more realistic option, and even that's not happening.

Last edited:
Increased cost, yes. Economically viable, I don't know. Limitations, just the opposite, everyone has something that can display videos on USB media. If the media is big enough you can have the content in multiple versions like 4K and full HD for the poor.

This kind of media could be realized in full, e.g. complete product outsourced from China for few bucks a piece. Let's say that DVD costs zero for the sake of simplicity. On Amazon blu-ray En Vivo is 4 bucks more than DVD, if you can negotiate $4 per product on bulk, and you can because you're targeting 50 to 100 thousand samples in the first batch considering how En Vivo sold and considering you have a very loyal fanbase you can count on sales. Bulk investment isn't risky.

They have a lot of products around the main discography, the merchandise, some factory is assembling an Iron Maiden item, packaging it and sending it into distribution. why couldn't it be a boxed USB of live show? If record companies and record shops are problematic, just go the merch way and no problems.

Increased cost, yes. Economically viable, I don't know. Limitations, just the opposite, everyone has something that can display videos on USB media. If the media is big enough you can have the content in multiple versions like 4K and full HD for the poor.

This kind of media could be realized in full, e.g. complete product outsourced from China for few bucks a piece. Let's say that DVD costs zero for the sake of simplicity. On Amazon blu-ray En Vivo is 4 bucks more than DVD, if you can negotiate $4 per product on bulk, and you can because you're targeting 50 to 100 thousand samples in the first batch considering how En Vivo sold and considering you have a very loyal fanbase you can count on sales. Bulk investment isn't risky.

They have a lot of products around the main discography, the merchandise, some factory is assembling an Iron Maiden item, packaging it and sending it into distribution. why couldn't it be a boxed USB of live show? If record companies and record shops are problematic, just go the merch way and no problems.
It might just be an experiment to try a new type of distribution that doesn't require physical media. Maybe see if they get more/less sales, and in what regions, etc.

and they should look into read only USB keys shipped in the standard DVD box format.
Frank Zappa’s family did something like this for a release last year and it was honestly a disaster. Many of the USB sticks (including mine) were defective and they were incompatible with certain devices. Obviously that’s not so much a problem with the technology as much as the execution and incompetence within the Zappa camp, but it left me thinking that all the effort toward a physical product should’ve just went toward CDs or DVDs.

I thought at the very least they could have thrown in Tears of a Clown. It wouldn't have been too hard to do.

Frank Zappa’s family did something like this for a release last year and it was honestly a disaster. Many of the USB sticks (including mine) were defective and they were incompatible with certain devices. Obviously that’s not so much a problem with the technology as much as the execution and incompetence within the Zappa camp, but it left me thinking that all the effort toward a physical product should’ve just went toward CDs or DVDs.
Buckethead did the same with his Halloween Pikes releases (31/32 half-hour albums, or whatever it was) on a USB Stick. With Bucketheadland it's not possible to say with certainty whether that was successful or not though. Personally, it had no physical appeal to me; and the content could simply be downloaded anyway. The only hook, really, was the one-price for all of the "mini-series". No difference once it's an MP3 on your computer/phone though. Didn't hear of anyone with any issues with them.

A Blu-ray of The Book of Souls: Live Chapter would have been greatly appreciated. I have a high quality bootleg on DVD I can watch at home, but I would have rather spent my hard-earned cash on an official release.

Back