Judas Priest

I remember when Ozzy first hired Zack on guitar for No Rest For the Wicked. Ozz said Zack knew the Sabbath songs better than he did!

Goddamnit, I decided not to go.
I was just wondering if you went!
Well, I must say I'm surprised that Priest rotates so many songs during this tour. - that's what I call a fresh approach. Metallica also rotated many songs on their recent tour - I wish Maiden do that more often. :blush:
I thought exactly the same. When do Maiden realize that such variation is valued more than a great show (the non musical aspects).

I'm glad Maiden aren't as sloppy live as Priest or Metallica. Plus I don't give a fuck if they play a rare track at some gig that I wasn't at.

Maiden are definitely the tightest of any of these bands, though Priest was pretty solid when I saw them.

Metallica change the set so much that they can't help but be sloppy, especially since Kirk doesn't practice anything ever.

I think Priest are hit or miss, rather than sloppy, so it was unfair to use that word. I've seen them 5 times, 2 were lacklustre, while 3 were very good. But they were never near anyway as incendiary as Maiden at these shows, and I reckon Maiden are right not to fix something that isn't broken.

Saying that I saw priest this summer and they played these tracks:

1. Firepower
  2. Grinder
  3. Sinner
  4. Lightning Strike
  5. Bloodstone
  6. Turbo Lover
  7. Prelude
  8. Tyrant
  9. Freewheel Burning
  10. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
  11. Hell Bent for Leather
  12. Painkiller
I'm pretty sure I hadn't seen 8 of the first 9 tracks before. I wouldn't be opposed to Maiden doing something like that, provided they played the rare stuff everywhere.

It's a bit of a double edged sword, the rotating setlist idea. On the one hand, it does make every show unique, but it can also lead to some disappointment. When I saw Slash on the World on Fire Tour a few years back he played my favourite song from that album ("Wicked Stone") the shows before and after I saw him. Needless to say I was a bit peeved.

That happened to me when I saw Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour. They played Middletown Dreams (1 of my favs I have never seen live) the night before; plus they sold out programs before the show even started so I was not in a good mood for the first half of the show...until they played The Analog Kid!

It's a bit of a double edged sword, the rotating setlist idea. On the one hand, it does make every show unique, but it can also lead to some disappointment. When I saw Slash on the World on Fire Tour a few years back he played my favourite song from that album ("Wicked Stone") the shows before and after I saw him. Needless to say I was a bit peeved.
If the band has more than a few awesome songs the upsides will win from the downsides. The unpredictability is really cool. Midnight Oil did more than 100 different songs during their 77 gigs in 2017. Awesome.

I thought exactly the same. When do Maiden realize that such variation is valued more than a great show (the non musical aspects).

^That is very true. :ok:
Maiden also has a much bigger show going on than either band. It would be so hard to do the stage work they like with different songs every night.

Yes, the Maiden show is always with a massive production, especially the current one, but they have songs with the same backdrop (HBTN and TETMD from LOTB tour) and I think in that place is easy to put a fresh new song to the setlist. On TBOS tour also the first 4 songs of the set, in the 2017 leg, were with the same backdrop.
It probably helps that they have three members (both guitarists and Scott Travis) who likely already know every single Priest song and could do anyone at any time.

...:confused: I'm confused. I think all of the Maiden members knows the band discography by heart. And for them will not be a problem to play whatever they want !

Last edited:
It's not that easy. Midnight Oil took three months to rehearse before they started their tour with that insane amount of different songs. It also took long because the band was broken up for 15 years.

Maiden does not seem to be the type of band to spend so much time for relearning songs.

Last edited:
AC/DC played the same set for two years because Malcolm had dementia, so Maiden have no excuse not to change it up.

Part of the problem is many bands are not truly playing live, using programmed click tracks, phoned in backing vocals etc so they can’t be arsed to change it.

So well done Priest. Now please just retire LAM and BTL.

I wouldn't have minded hearing KKs take on some of Glenns solos. But I think they would've simply let Richie take them and KK fill his old role.

This is the first thing that popped into my head months ago when KK said he should have been asked to play in Glenn's place on tour:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ju...ying-glenns-parts-wouldnt-have-sounded-right/

K.K. is great, especially as a rhythm guitarist, but it is certain that he would have done better than Andy Sneap, who is a great producer, but he has no stage presence !

I really like Faulkner's take on the Painkiller solo - the Glenn one. Very hard solo and for me it is the best one by Glenn !

Back