The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

Saw Ant Man & the Wasp

Pretty enjoyable. Glad that Luis got one of his storytelling scenes in! Cool that Bill Foster was introduced and talked about Goliath. I was a fan of Black Goliath in the comics. Action & humor was well balanced and Paul Rudd was spot on again. Pretty cool villain.

Before the film my son and I were joking "what if everyone goes to all the trouble through the whole film of getting Janet back only to have her vanish when Thanos snaps his fingers?" Little did we know how close we were to that shocking mid-credits scene! 8 months until Captain Marvel...

Bad points: The trailers showed too much of the good action scenes though. Also...

You MUST see the mid credits scene but the after credits scene is a COMPLETE waste of time. Don't even bother staying.

Don't listen to him about the post credits scene, FAKE NEWS!!!!!

Great movie though. Will go see it again next week.

So with the news that Cate Shortland (who I'm not familiar with at all) has been announced as director of a Black Widow movie, it got me thinking. What do you guys think about a Black Widow movie even being made? Personally, I could not care less. I think majority of people just like her because it's Scarlett Johansson, but that's the cynical side of me.

I've never got the appeal behind the character, I find her very inconsistent - she was somewhat interesting in Iron Man 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but outside of that she's been boring or overly dramatic. I barely remember anything she does in Infinity War.

At this point I think it's just too late for a Black Widow film, the best time was probably in Phase 1 when the character was still new and exciting.

I think the reason the character hasn't been exciting is because directors don't know what the fuck to do with her. The Russos had her pining over Cap, Joss Whedon was primarily interested in shooting her butt, and Jon Favreau gave her the best spin. Giving her a movie of her own is the best way to let the character get developed and get over.

I have heard good things about Lore - maybe I will check it out.

Regardless, I have rarely been to a Marvel movie that I didn't enjoy - so I suspect I will see this too. But make no doubt - this is due to the criticism on Marvel for failing to have female leads during the Phase 1/2 days.

But make no doubt - this is due to the criticism on Marvel for failing to have female leads during the Phase 1/2 days.

Oh I have no doubts about that :p There's been some reports about Captain Marvel being "the most powerful character the MCU has ever seen" or something along those lines, which I see as another big reaction to that criticism.

Giving her a movie of her own is the best way to let the character get developed and get over.

I kind of agree with you, but depending on how they handle her character it could make her seem even more uneven. I think the best time would've been in the early stages of Phase 2, flesh her out a little and big her up for her appearance in The Winter Solider.

Oh I have no doubts about that :p There's been some reports about Captain Marvel being "the most powerful character the MCU has ever seen" or something along those lines, which I see as another big reaction to that criticism.
That and necessary based on the storyline told in Infinity War. If she's a joke, it won't help them out much.

James Gunn Fired From Guardians 3

*record scratch*

What the hell?!?!

Edit: Reading a bit more into it, some of the stuff he came out with is fucking disgusting. I'm not above a bit of dark humour, but this isn't funny at all.

Last edited:
Wow. I mean I understand that the jokes were bad, but it's not like he did anything irl. And he apologized for them years ago...

I think Disney had to be seen doing something about it, that kind of thing doesn't fit with their wholesome image.

But now, who should take his place? I saw some suggest Phil Lord and Chris Miller, but I don't think that's very likely after Solo.

I think majority of people just like her because it's Scarlett Johansson
eca.jpg

So I discovered the Marvel Unlimited app. WOW. Now I can read almost any comic they have published in their history. No more searching Amazon for Collected Editions or bargains at conventions. Technology is amazing.

BTW, finally reading Iron Fist early first few years of appearances makes me finally understand his origins better that are only hinted at in the Netflix series'. Like everyone else, I enjoyed the first half of the first season, but then was shaking my head at the rest of the season. First time I watched the Defenders, I liked the 2nd half of the season of Defenders better than the first half (opposite of IF). However, after reading IF's origins in the comics, I went back and rewatched IF and the Defenders on Netflix and I can say that I better understand who all the characters are (The Thunderer Lei Kung, the father of Davos for example). Also I noticed the Defenders answered some of the questions that the IF series had posed. Knowing these helps understand and enjoy IF more. It reminded me of when I was a kid studying martial arts (something I wish I had not given up). The focus, kata, almost meditation while going through the motions brought back memories. I appreciate the peace Danny is trying to achieve during his daily workout.

One BIG difference between the comics and IF Netflix series: in the comics it was MISTY, not Collen, Danny was romantic with!

After watching Defenders, now we know that Bakuto and Gao are both immortal and are two of the five members of the Hand. We also now understand why Harold Meachum kept coming back from the dead; this happens to anyone the Hand gives immortality to (like Elektra). Most importantly, we know why the Hand (especially Gao) kept NOT killing Danny every time they had the chance: they needed the IF to open the door to a dragon skeleton under NYC to use the bones to make more of the formula for immortality.

When I rewatched IF, I forgot that during the opening of one of the later episodes, there is a flashback to outside the cave of Shou-Lao just after Danny has defeated the dragon. The IF dragon brand on his chest is new and bloody. Danny is barely alive and is helped by Davos. (pretty cool but short scene) This dragon was mentioned throughout the series and also in Luke Cage season 2 episode with Danny (don't see how Luke can believe in aliens and immortals, but not a dragon). Hopefully we will finally see Danny's battle with the dragon in Season 2.

Venom trailer 2 has been released. Note that there is a bit of a spoiler in there.

Colour me mildly interested. Venom himself looks pretty cool, we seem to be getting a fair bit more of him than it looked like in the first trailer. Also, a much improved tagline. That final line though... blah.

Doesn't look like we're getting Carnage. Boooo.

I finally saw Deadpool 2.

It was fine, and I chuckled a few times, but overall I didn't find it to be nearly as funny as the first. Quite frankly, I thought it tried too hard to be irreverent, whereas the first movie merely was irreverent. The difference was in intent, of course. I think my favourite part was the prison fight scene. Felt Juggernaut was a little unnecessary, too. Josh Brolin was epic as Cable, though.

I found Deadpool amusing in places, but overall it's not for me, I don't really like that style of humour. Might watch 2 just to see it.

Quite frankly, I thought it tried too hard to be irreverent, whereas the first movie merely was irreverent.

I had a similar opinion on Guardian of the Galaxy 2. The first caught lightning in a bottle, but the second tried too hard to recapture it and failed.

I think we can talk about Guardians 2, it's been out for over a year! See, I disagree that it tried to do the same thing - I felt Guardians 1 was really about Quill learning to be an adult (semi-successfully, that arc doesn't finish until Infinity War) whereas Guardians 2 was about the Guardians learning to become a really weird, fucked up family (an arc that doesn't fully pay off until the Russos explained a certain thing about Infinity War).

People still get iffy if you talk about things that happened in the first series of Game of Thrones, can't be too careful ;)

I was more referring to the tone of the films and how they handled the humour and emotion. To me, what made the first film stand out was its genuinely funny and, at times, heart wrenching moments. In Vol. 2, I felt like it had this strange sense of overconfidence, this undertone of "Well, people liked that in the first one, so let's just do it again but more so" and it didn't really work. For me, at least.

Back