Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it has, only we've never heard it, alas. And you can hear Ides Of March live on 1979 bootlegs, e.g.

I'm little confused about something - on this Facebook page from where you shared the Maiden setlist '77, it has a setlist which says that Prodigal Son is also being played live ! I thought the only new songs that were written for the Killers album are MITRM and Prodigal Son.... :confused:

Wtf are you always talking about 4/4? There‘s other time signatures you know! Just put the riff in 3/4 notation, because 4/4 is wrong! And then, below, in a new staff, try to notate the claps of the audience. What you‘re gonna see is a superimposed 3/2, resolving every second bar of 3/4. Just basic math.

I just showed you how @matic22 was right and you saying he was wrong, was wrong. Basic math.

That it's also 3/2 in relation to what Maiden are playing you already established. But using that as the basis for the discussion completely disregards the point - we were talking audience clapping, after all, and it makes way more sense to look at what they're doing then than what the band is actually playing. Hey the audience is clapping 3/2... No they're not, they just think the band is playing old regular 4/4. What makes more sense to you?

Oslo 2016: Ghost/Raven Age

Pretty envious of this. We got Opeth in Gothenburg, my least favourite live band I've seen.

I'm little confused about something - on this Facebook page from where you shared the Maiden setlist '77, it has a setlist which says that Prodigal Son is also being played live ! I thought the only new songs that were written for the Killers album are MITRM and Prodigal Son.... :confused:
Well in case such as this, and with access to so many ex-members, I guess M77 know what they're talking about.
Genghis Khan was new as well I think.

I just showed you how @matic22 was right and you saying he was wrong, was wrong. Basic math.

That it's also 3/2 in relation to what Maiden are playing you already established. But using that as the basis for the discussion completely disregards the point - we were talking audience clapping, after all, and it makes way more sense to look at what they're doing then than what the band is actually playing. Hey the audience is clapping 3/2... No they're not, they just think the band is playing old regular 4/4. What makes more sense to you?
No. The audience doesn’t think about fucking 4/4 or 3/4 at all! Most of them probably don’t even know what that is. They just feel the beat a certain way. And what they feel is hemiolic in relation to Maiden’s riff, NOT 4/4! For rhe last time: Notate it, and you‘ll see what I told you: 6/8 vs. 3/4 or 3/4 vs. 3/2.

Well in case such as this, and with access to so many ex-members, I guess M77 know what they're talking about.
Genghis Khan was new as well I think.

I will be surprised if they actually played Burning Ambition and Prodigal Son live...

According to Wikipedia, the only new songs written for Killers are indeed MITRM and Prodigal Son:

Each song, with the exception of "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "Prodigal Son", had been written in the years prior to the recording of their debut album, though none were recorded professionally until the Killers sessions with the exception of "Wrathchild" (an early version recorded in 1979 was featured on the Metal for Muthas compilation).

Though not new as in 'written for the occasion', neither "Killers" (for a different set of lyrics) nor "Purgatory" (then called "Floating" and which I can't find on any pre-1981 bootleg) had been played in their definitive form before the album was released.

I will be surprised if they actually played Burning Ambition and Prodigal Son live...

According to Wikipedia, the only new songs written for Killers are indeed MITRM and Prodigal Son:

Each song, with the exception of "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "Prodigal Son", had been written in the years prior to the recording of their debut album, though none were recorded professionally until the Killers sessions with the exception of "Wrathchild" (an early version recorded in 1979 was featured on the Metal for Muthas compilation).

1. They played Burning Ambition live. There's even a recording of it on a B-Side, The Trooper, if I'm not mistaken.
2. I don't always like the attitude or grammar of the guys behind Maiden '77, but I would be inclined to believe them in matters such as this, because the info is coming straight from people who were in the band at the time. Wikipedia is not always correct.

No. The audience doesn’t think about fucking 4/4 or 3/4 at all! Most of them probably don’t even know what that is. They just feel the beat a certain way. And what they feel is hemiolic in relation to Maiden’s riff, NOT 4/4! For rhe last time: Notate it, and you‘ll see what I told you: 6/8 vs. 3/4 or 3/4 vs. 3/2.

I think that discussion of 3/2 vs 3/4 vs 6/8 is on a more detailed level than the initial reaction asks for. The crowd is clapping on every second beat while the music is asking for clapping on every third one.

Maybe Bruce should start leading the audience on this song like he does on the interlude in Blood Brothers when they play that.

1. They played Burning Ambition live. There's even a recording of it on a B-Side, The Trooper, if I'm not mistaken.
2. I don't always like the attitude or grammar of the guys behind Maiden '77, but I would be inclined to believe them in matters such as this, because the info is coming straight from people who were in the band at the time. Wikipedia is not always correct.

It's not on The Trooper single (Burning Ambition (studio version) is a B-Side on the Running Free single)...

However, maybe they indeed played these songs live - it's sad that we don't have a recording somewhere on YouTube to hear.

New (short) interview with Nicko about the setlist, where he talks about the tempo of Icarus/Sign of the Cross, and also mentions "the controversy" surrounding Hallowed (first time I think anyone in the band has touched on this in an interview, albeit very briefly)

I'm glad they waited for the right time to bring back Icarus. I can't imagine them playing it with that amount of restraint even ten years ago.

I wonder if Sign of the Cross is the most difficult song for them to play live.

Anybody else would like to see a Maiden/Priest co-headlining North American tour next year? How can we make it happen?

Is that even possible? Swede here, Priest played the hockey arena in my hometown (10 000 capacity/60 000 population) and sold about 4000 tickets, while Maiden would only ever play the big cities (Stockholm/Gothenburg) in stadiums like Friends Arena (65 000), Tele 2 Arena (40 000) or Ullevi (75 000). How they could co-headline anywhere in the world is insane to me.

Anybody else would like to see a Maiden/Priest co-headlining North American tour next year? How can we make it happen?
They are my two favorite bands. You would think I would be all about this, but I'm not. I would prefer to see them headline their own tours. I will be seeing a "co-headline" tour with Deep Purple and Priest in September. I'm not sure if they are rotating who opens first...I would rather it be Priest playing last. I am worried Priest (and Purple, for that matter) will be playing a shorter set than usual because of this.

Is that even possible? Swede here, Priest played the hockey arena in my hometown (10 000 capacity/60 000 population) and sold about 4000 tickets, while Maiden would only ever play the big cities (Stockholm/Gothenburg) in stadiums like Friends Arena (65 000), Tele 2 Arena (40 000) or Ullevi (75 000). How they could co-headline anywhere in the world is insane to me.
We went over this when the Maiden/Priest coheadline tour was being treated as a sure thing late last year.

The thing with co-headline tours is that they're for bands who can't fill up a big venue by themselves. Priest couldn't play the Pepsi Center in Denver by themselves, but they can if they combine their powers with Deep Purple. Meanwhile, Maiden filled the place up with nobody other than themselves and Steve Harris' son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back