Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Looks quite thin, or versions are liquor which is 20-30% alcohol or straight up rakija type which is like vodka or worse (50% ;)).

The Tej I enjoyed was probably below mead you linked, around strong beer levels of alc.

Gotcha. Yeah, that's really high. Mead here in the States is more of a wine and seems to be consumed more like a wine. It's not a huge market right now so I guess that's the easiest sell.

On mead and "honey wine"/"honey beer"; If we take into account that a normal definition of beer is a drink made by fermentation of grains, and wine is a drink made by fermentation of grapes (or in a wider definition, any fruit or berry) I don't think mead can be classified as either. So whether you call it one or the other must be down to what the local variety resembles most.

I'd expect something made by fermenting honey to have very little of the "bread-like" character of something made from grains. In other words, I'd expect mead to have more in common with wine than with beer, taste-wise. But I'm sure there are varieties of all three that will go against any conventions and expectations. I have myself tasted beers that definitely had a wine-like character.

On mead and "honey wine"/"honey beer"; If we take into account that a normal definition of beer is a drink made by fermentation of grains, and wine is a drink made by fermentation of grapes (or in a wider definition, any fruit or berry) I don't think mead can be classified as either. So whether you call it one or the other must be down to what the local variety resembles most.

I'd expect something made by fermenting honey to have very little of the "bread-like" character of something made from grains. In other words, I'd expect mead to have more in common with wine than with beer, taste-wise. But I'm sure there are varieties of all three that will go against any conventions and expectations. I have myself tasted beers that definitely had a wine-like character.
It ranges from sickeningly sweet weak wine like stuff to something that's a bit more like a spirit, but sweet.

Here's something from a local vendor

medica.jpg

Medica is a spirit of distinctive fragrance, enriched with aromatic, full-taste honey

I definitely think we should do an international booze swap

I'm up for this. Btw, in ex-Yu we have sort of a beverage gender. The name will have the source (fruit or plant) and gender suffix which denotes liquor (usually female), or spirit (usually male). There are exceptions if the word has been used for a toponym prior to the beverage. The ruleset can be shrunk to; if there are two variants and one doesn't end with an "a", that's the spirit, the other is liqour. If both end with an "a" the simpler word will be liquor, the longer or the one with more consonants a spirit.

My fav : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelinkovac

This one does not have a liquor variant as far as I know ;)

Back