Bruce Dickinson

:funnypost:With all the things he claims to have done, it has always surprised me that such a musical genius hasn't met any kind of success after.
None of these has anything to do with musical genius but might have been useful for the band nevertheless.

Last edited:
Another great contribution to the band by Dennis Wilcock (? or Willcock) that hasn't been matched by Bruce - getting Dave Murray thrown out of the band!
True. But Dave was back while Dennis was still in the band, even though official bios might have made you think otherwise.

I think Bruce met Paddy in 1987, so he probably got the dates mixed up (the 8 years ago bit).
I always assumed that he was referring charitably to his first wife, but thinking about it now I read another interview which said that he was married in May 1990 to a woman he'd been with for five years (from memory - I though that was on the Commentary as well, but I can't find it now). So you may well be right.
It was in the Dirt, and not an assassination attempt as such. Nikki says Bruce invited him to go fencing. Nikki at the time suspected that Bruce must have known about the incident with his wife and was therefore asking nikki to go fencing so that he could "accidently" hurt Nikki, so he didn't go. So the whole thing is just nikkis suspicions.

although it may be backed up by the fact Tattooed Millionaire is about Nikki Sixx.
When "The Dirt" was first published in 2001 Bruce was something like 11 years into his current marriage so I doubt he would have been too shocked by the discovery that other things had happened so long ago (although it may well have raised a few bad memories). But actually literally challenging the guy to a duel does display a certain level of style, and no less than we've come to expect from Bruce. I doubt he wanted to actually hurt him, but the prospect of making Sixx look like a (bit more of a) twit (than he usually looks) probably appealed to Bruce's sense of mischief. (Nikki Sixx being somewhat paranoid is no surprise though :lol:.)

Regarding Tattooed Millionaire, Bruce historically always denied it was about anyone in particular - he seemed to have a particular bee in his bonnet about the LA rock scene generally and how it was having a bad influence on British bands. So even if Sixx has subsequently been revealed as the spark that started the idea, I think it's probably unfair to conclude that it was only about him :).

Yes, this was a joke. He was asked by a french journalist about the possible similarities with Steve though.

Yeah, he did share the stage with some tattooed millionaires whilst in Maiden, although I would say none of them matches (thankfully) the description of the guy from Tattooed Millionaire.

Yeah, he did share the stage with some tattooed millionaires whilst in Maiden, although I would say none of them matches (thankfully) the description of the guy from Tattooed Millionaire.
I don't know, I've heard Dave Murray can be an absolute prima donna at times ... :innocent:
:ninja:

This mentions the separation (indicated as recent as of October 1988) and tells us about his wife getting the big house while he moved on to something more sensible. But doesn't say anything about bad behaviour on either side, which was also alluded to in your previous post. I'm not disputing you really read that somewhere but I'm just curious to know a) who said what, b) when & where they said it/what state of mind they were in at the time and c) where it was reported.

I don't particularly care what they got up to (none of my business really) and I'm not suggesting for a minute that there was any requirement for him to be a boy scout but when stuff like that starts getting reported as news, even if it's true, there's always the possibility that someone, somewhere, had an axe to grind ...

This mentions the separation (indicated as recent as of October 1988) and tells us about his wife getting the big house while he moved on to something more sensible. But doesn't say anything about bad behaviour on either side, which was also alluded to in your previous post. I'm not disputing you really read that somewhere but I'm just curious to know a) who said what, b) when & where they said it/what state of mind they were in at the time and c) where it was reported.

Bruce himself has mentioned more than once his experiences with groupies during the 80s... That is straight from the horse's mouth, isn't it? :lol:

I read the comments about the expenditure on Bruce's credit card in a post from one of his German fencing pals I read online (in German) some time ago. Apparently Bruce invited some of them to come backstage to Donington as his guests (I think this was in 1987, when Bruce appeared on stage with Bon Jovi), covering their costs. The fencing pals (allegedly) saw Jane buy a huge amount of drinks to everyone present and ask them to be charged to Bruce's credit card as some sort of revenge whilst she could still use it. Bruce was (apparently) mad about it. Regarding the state of mind of his fencing pals, if I remember correctly it was a thread with some anecdotes from Bruce's time in Germany. I did not notice anyone with an axe (or épée) to grind. :)

As all this stories, it is always wise to take them with a pinch of salt. My original post was a tongue-in-cheek summary of Bruce's (alleged) activities during the 80s that did not make it to his autobiography. ;)

Bruce himself has mentioned more than once his experiences with groupies during the 80s... That is straight from the horse's mouth, isn't it? :lol:

I read the comments about the expenditure on Bruce's credit card in a post from one of his German fencing pals I read online (in German) some time ago. Apparently Bruce invited some of them to come backstage to Donington as his guests (I think this was in 1987, when Bruce appeared on stage with Bon Jovi), covering their costs. The fencing pals (allegedly) saw Jane buy a huge amount of drinks to everyone present and ask them to be charged to Bruce's credit card as some sort of revenge whilst she could still use it. Bruce was (apparently) mad about it. Regarding the state of mind of his fencing pals, if I remember correctly it was a thread with some anecdotes from Bruce's time in Germany. I did not notice anyone with an axe (or épée) to grind. :)

As all this stories, it is always wise to take them with a pinch of salt. My original post was a tongue-in-cheek summary of Bruce's (alleged) activities during the 80s that did not make it to his autobiography. ;)
This is the sort of detail I was trying to get at, and why I asked if you could link to the sources ;).

Here is the soul of a man...

It's official! After a long while of writing and recording, Iron Maiden vocalist, Bruce Dickinson, is back with a seventh solo album. Thirteen years after he released the masterpiece Tyranny of Souls, he returns with a full-fledged concept album, If Eternity Should Fail.

Iron Maiden fans should already know the title track - after all, it opened Side One of their latest offering, The Book of Souls. However, originally it had been intended as a solo song for Bruce's concept album, and he's taken command of it again and re-purposed it for the album it was intended for.

And what's in this album? Three discs - count 'em! THREE discs of pure Bruce Dickinson. This triple album is an incredible taste of the man behind the music, and the story it weaves together is one of horror, fear, and heavy metal mania. As a special surprise and thank you to his fans, Bruce is releasing, in a limited edition box, all three discs, special memorabilia from his solo career, and a hardcover book, also called If Eternity Should Fail, which he wrote to help with the musical writing process. This is something that any fan of the solo career or Iron Maiden will want to have!

"It's been a long time in coming," says Dickinson, "and at last I can claim that we've delivered. I've enjoyed writing it and getting back with Roy Z and the rest of my band from my '90s solo career. We've been on a warpath of creation and it's been a blast. We're also doing a few different things, parts of this album will be heavier. Ever since my bout with cancer, I've been working my voice back into shape. I might not be able to hit all the highest of notes anymore, but I have been experimenting and realized that low notes work perfectly. Notes as low as ones utilized in death metal vocals. So I threw in two tracks that utilize those vocals. Which ones? You'll find out when you hear the album!"

The track-listing of the album is as follows:

DISC ONE
1. If Eternity Should Fail
2. Necropolis
3. Virgin World
4. Soul Harvest
5. Magma
6. The End of Man
7. The Shaman
8. Hellhound
9. Corpsegrinder Sacrilege of the Fourteenth Commandment
10. To Hell With It!

DISC TWO
1. And He Shall Smite The Wicked
2. Creation
3. The Serpent
4. The Soul of a Man
5. We Shall Return
6. I Stand Alone
7. This Desolate Space
8. My God
9. Fucked With A Rusty Nail
10. Back To The Future

DISC THREE
1. The Beginning of the End
2. Necropolis Pt. II
3. This Empty World
4. Reaped
5. Death Comes As The End
6. The Sign
7. The Devil
8. Judgement Day
9. April Fools
10. Armageddon

The release is slated for June 20th of this year. Bruce Dickinson is planning to tour the album with his band next year, but make sure you catch Iron Maiden on their Legacy of the Beast tour, slated for later this year.

Listen to Iron Maiden performing "If Eternity Should Fail" live from The Book of Souls Tour:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bruce-dickinson-to-release-new-solo-album/

Back