Thoughts on Steve Harris British Lion?

I liked the album. Lost Worlds, Eyes of the Young and These Are The Hands are my favourites.

The singer sounds better live though.

One of the unreleased trackw which I really like as well. It will propably be the highlight on the next album!
yes the singer actually sound much better live

Didn’t like it, poor outdated production and average/weak songs plus not a very good vocalist. Glad I paid just a couple of euros for the album.

But I’m sure their next album will be much better and focused than the debut.

Didn’t like it, poor outdated production and average/weak songs plus not a very good vocalist. Glad I paid just a couple of euros for the album.

But I’m sure their next album will be much better and focused than the debut.

I am glad I could listen to the official stream of the album before forking out some money for it; that saved me a few quid. Really disappointing, which is quite sad considering the idea sounded great on paper (Steve going back to his 70s hard rock roots).

I revisited it a few weeks ago and it was worse than I remembered. Couldn’t even get through the whole album.

PRR holds up surprisingly well though.

Threw British Lion on a month or so ago.
Was as solid and unremarkably enjoyable as I remembered.

solid and unremarkably enjoyable
I just gave it a listen and this is the best way I can sum up the album.

There's nothing truly special about British Lion, but for what it is, it's pretty successful. The first four tracks I wasn't too fond of, but starting with The Chosen Ones, everything actually got better. A World Without Heaven was awesome and The Lesson was a beautiful closer.

It's not Maiden, but if you can look past that, this album is enjoyable.

People probably thought it would be similar to Bruce's solo stuff.

Well if they did it would totally be their own fault since the British Lion stuff was always promoted as a return to the influences/straight up 70s inspired hard rock album. The thing about British Lion that people seem to forget is that it was a regular band that Steve happened to like way back in the 90s and wanted to give a push. The fact that his name is even on the album is just marketing really. Fact of the matter is that there's very little Steve Harris about it - he's "just" playing the bass in the band, and that's cool, it must be nice to have a band outside Maiden where he can just play for the fun of it. I'm happy that Steve didn't *just* end his career in a band like British Lion (which he might have if things had gone differently) but actually was lucky enough/skilled enough to carve his own way with Iron Maiden :)

Re-listened to British Lion album earlier, some grand stuff on there, really and then also some poofster Percy stuff. I will revisit for sure though.

It's certainly different to Maiden, but I guess that's the point. I like it and I'd certainly go and see them live when I eventually return to Europe.

The albums are kinda bland, but the band is fantastic live. Looking forward to seeing them again with The Darkness in Dec.

I hear a lot of Steve in there, not just the bass playing. It is not that bad. The singer is disturbing!

Was pleasantly surprised with the first album and the second one pleased me even more. Of course large part due to Steve's presence all around, as his bass playing has been by far the main attraction for me in Maiden. The guitarists are OK and the singer doesn't sound unpleasant to my ears at all, despite singing a bit off pitch sometimes (the music is by far the most important ingredient for me anyway, where the singer is often the weakest link i.e. the reason why I don't like certain bands. Can only tolerate an annoying singing style when the music is that good that it makes up for it, two extreme examples being Atheist (Unquestionable Presence) & Exmortus (Ride Forth))
Most British Lion songs are kept reasonably short and have some fine musical parts and often a catchy chorus and nice melodies, exactly what always has characterized Maiden, up to Senjutsu that is, which I still find so dull and monotonous...but that's a whole different matter:(

Back