The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang

Qualifications are not needed? Perhaps I still don't get it. But if I think I get it, then with this event it sounds easier to compete at the Games than for most other sports, at least skating. Please tell me where I go wrong here (if that is the case).
It's an individual event.
Then I don't get why the rules differ per sport. When a speed skater retreats because of whatever reason, he would not be replaced.

In a team event (relay) the coach selects, per race, which skaters compete (one is always not competing, in both speed skating and short track).
But in individual events, the skaters qualify. No one changes anything at the games.

Or is this not the sport, but (also) the country who decides the rules?

It all comes across as: convenience
I miss this extra luxury factor in (some) other sports, at least the ones I am familiar with.

Last edited:
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The legendary double! Kjeld Nuis wins both the 1500m and the 1000m. Not done since 1984 (Boucher, Canada)!

And what a thriller!! So close to Lorentzen. Also with that false start... brrr.

1984:

Qualifications are not needed? Perhaps I still don't get it. But if I think I get it, then with this event it sounds easier to compete at the Games than for most other sports, at least skating. Please tell me where I go wrong here (if that is the case).

Then I don't get why the rules differ per sport. When a speed skater retreats because of whatever reason, he would not be replaced.

In a team event (relay) the coach selects, per race, which skaters compete (one is always not competing, in both speed skating and short track).
But in individual events, the skaters qualify. No one changes anything at the games.

I miss this extra luxury factor in (some) other sports, at least the ones I am familiar with.

You ask a lot of questions and I honestly do not know the answers :)

But your first point makes no sense to me. Easier to compete? Why? In order to be allowed to race in any one event, you must still be picked as one of four athletes from your country. In theory you can be part of the squad and not compete in a single race (like an unused substitute in football). And to be picked (and thus to be given entry to the squad that is submitted to the IOC) you must obviously have performed at a level that makes the management have faith in you.

Norway has never had a tradition for the American-style way of picking the Olympic squad, with designated qualification events (i.e. picking the four best at one particular race some time before the Games), thus the squad selection is subjective to a certain extent. But the competition is hard.

Just think about speed skating in the Netherlands. With the exception of aces like Kramer and Nuis (btw, congrats on the 1000m), I'm sure there are dozens of skaters who could travel to the Olympics and perform at almost the same level as the Dutch 3rd and 4th choices. The situation is the same in cross-country in Norway.

The picking is based on performance. Qualificatuon criteria. The thing I am more surprised about is the latter matter of my post which I like you to address.

The quoted part is the very part I referred to when I wrote that I do simply not know.

It seems obvious that the IOC allows for athletes to travel to the Games as part of the squad as reserves - i.e. not picked for any particular event, but allowed to compete if another athlete withdraws. Obviously, all of them must meet the IOC's qualification criteria, but Norway probably has 20 cross-country skiers who do that. Or more. The Netherlands probably has plenty of skaters who could.

Then I guess it is up to the national committees (and perhaps even the team management in each sport) to decide if they want to nominate reserves.

Hmm. I'm afraid you don't see the point I'm focusing on. Or at least we do not understand each other.

Replacing people for individual events during the Games (not before, not a selection/qualification before the Games) is apparently possible for sport A and not sport B (when someone in sport B competes, they are not replaced; a sporter is out, medal chance is gone, so is that chance for the country he represents). If that is correct: Would you agree that these differences between sports improve the chance of a skifaring nation to win more medals?

Last edited:
And Germany is 3-0 ahead vs Canada!

Do certain countries suffer from not having NHL players? Yes. Do they care? I hope.
I hope some anger is directed at the NHL.

4-1!!!

Dirty foul I just saw. Pathetic loser that Brulé.

Not I hope the Germans continue with making crème brûlée of their opponents.

Last edited:
Hmm. I'm afraid you don't see the point I'm focusing on. Or at least we do not understand each other.

Replacing people for individual events during the Games (not before, not a selection/qualification before the Games) is apparently possible for sport A and not sport B (when someone in sport B competes, they are not replaced; a sporter is out, medal chance is gone, so is that chance for the country he represents). If that is correct: Would you agree that these differences between sports improve the chance of a skifaring nation to win medals?

No, if there is another point in addition to the one you lay out in details here, I don't see it (and I suspect we could end up splitting hairs for some time here). But to the direct question:

Yes, if the replacement is of a caliber that could see him compete for medals. I doubt this happens very frequently. However, I don't see it as a problem as long as the contestants are OK with it. Why would, say, Dario Cologna or Alex Harvey care that Norway field their 5th choice on the 50km rather than their 3rd choice, when the only one who poses a threat to their winning chances is the 1st choice (Sundby) who would race anyway?

Yes, if the replacement is of a caliber that could see him compete for medals. I doubt this happens very frequently.
I can't judge that since speed skating does not have this advantage to try that out.

Some sports have two advantage to have a replacement.
Major advantage: competing at the Games.
Another one, however small: a chance to have a good performance.

Other sports do not have this advantage at all.

Number of registered ice hockey players, including male, female and junior, provided by the respective countries' federations (September 2017).:
Germany: 20,646
Canada: 631,295
:help:

I saw that! :lol: The equivalent would probably be Italy beating New Zealand in Rugby Union. I guess the sport only matters if your team does well though.

The equivalent is "anybody beating Canada in hockey". That's what you normally explain sports dominance with.

WTF...

Not sure how good Italy is in Rugby, but the Germans are subdivision though (around 7th, 8th place in the world). And they had some successes in the past.
E.g. they had bronze in 1976 and 1932. World Championship: Germany had three silver medals in 1930, 1934 and 1953.

Canada did still better than in 2006.

Germany: 20,646
Canada: 631,295
:help:
Number of NHL players on the rink:
Germany: 0
Canada:0
33uu.gif

Back