Was Somewhere Back in Time their best tour ever?

Yes or no?

• Total voters

naikon

Nomad
Reflecting on the times Ive seen Maiden and about what tour I think was their best ever.

My conclusion is that SBiT 2008-2009 was their best tour ever.
- The setlist was absolutely amazing
- The guys were in their best years and their performance was outstanding
- The general hype and vibe of the tour (maybe cause of first Ed Force One- and "greatest hits"-tour)

Do you agree yes or no

For me, it was the World Slavery tour 1984 (UK leg, before Bruce's voice was shot)

The vibe around the band was fresh and exciting, with less people having seen the band live, pre internet. The anticipation leading up to the gig lasted for months and was almost uncontrollable.

Not even the best nostalgia tour. I might go with TBOS for best tour actually.

Ed Hunter Tour was the best for me. Obviously seeing Bruce and Adrian on their first gig back in Europe would have made it a highlight anyway, but I think it was the best setlist I've seen from them (I've seen every tour since '93 except Virtual XI)

Not sure, naikon. It certainly was special. After 16 years since I saw them for the first time, I saw my favourite song for the first (and still only!) time ever. RIME!
Plus this tour marked the first meeting with two fine members of this community (Perun and national acrobat). On Wacken 2008 I witnessed the best sound as well: I was far away from the stage, in the middle near the sound (or light) tower.

But yeah, there's The Ed Hunter tour and the first one was also very special as many others.

Last edited:
"best tour" is hardly definable. As for "fondest personal memories" (of course linked to the setlist and/ or stage scenery), I would say Gimme Ed Till I'm Dead.

Last edited:
Whatever tour Death on the Road was gets my vote. Overall sound (guitar tones and solos are fantastic), setlist and energetic performances. Shame the DVD is edited to bits, but I often play the live album.

Somewhere Back in Time is a very special tour for me simply because it was the first time I saw them live. So the June 11, 2018 show will always have a special place in my heart (and particularly hearing Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner).

But I don't think it's the best tour. Ed Hunter 1999 and Early Days 2005 both had spectacular setlists (and were a bit more experimental). I obviously didn't see these live but I have listened to enough bootlegs and watched pro shot footage of both on youtube countless times so I feel like I can confidently chime in.

My favorite history tour that I personally have seen was definitely Maiden England 2013. It had an amazing setlist for someone like me, who had only started seeing Maiden since 2008. Lots of great classics: Moonchild, Aces High, Seventh Son, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, The Prisoner, Phantom, plus all the other staples. I think the 2014 setlist became weaker with the inclusion of Wrathchild and Revelations in place of Clairvoyant and ATSS.

So I'd have to say Maiden England 2013 has Somewhere Back in Time beat in terms of performance and the setlist overall.

I think 1988 Seventh Tour is the greatest tour they've ever done, personally.

Last edited:
The best tour for me has to be the ed hunter tour.

I’d seen them before but this was a special tour for me. Firstly not only was Bruce AND Adrian back but they had no album out at the time so the set list was a fantastic best of. Plus being from the U.K. me and a mate got to see this tour on a special event organised by the fan club so we saw them in Paris and then again the following night in Rotterdam. Great little package spending a few days drinking and watching maiden with like minded fans and very little sleep lol.

It sure was. The return of Rime was amazing. I saw Maiden twice on the original World Slavery tour. What a thrill to see it recreated so many years later. I think I saw 4 or 5 shows in 2008-2009*. Nothing will top that.

*with my beautiful ex-wife, now lost to me forever. :(

I missed Somewhere Back in Time. The only Iron Maiden tour which has visited the UK since I started listening to them that I have missed. :(:(:(:(

I think so. The performances they lined up in particular that summer were something else. I saw Maiden in Oslo, it remains by far the gig I have ever attended. They were on fire, Bruce was in a terrific mood.

The setlist was probably the best they have done. Aces High and 2 Minutes to Midnight is the best opening combo there is. Hallowed is the best way to finish any gig. And then you can add songs like Revelations, Rime and Powerslave plus several hits, performed better than ever before.

So yeah, for me that was their best tour.

Maiden England that I’ve actually seen live.

But then my favourite Maiden video was always the VHS of the same name.

Book Of Souls was very good too.

My main gripe with Maiden shows are they are always too short.

Of the reunion era: Give Me Ed... 'Til I'm Dead Tour or Eddie Rips Up the World Tour.

But I guess The first tours with Bruce in the 80's May have been the best, based on early days DVD.

It sure was. The return of Rime was amazing. I saw Maiden twice on the original World Slavery tour. What a thrill to see it recreated so many years later. I think I saw 4 or 5 shows in 2008-2009*. Nothing will top that.

*with my beautiful ex-wife, now lost to me forever. :(

Great to hear that you also loved it but im sorry about your wife... hopefully you have fond memories of both the tour and her.

I think so. The performances they lined up in particular that summer were something else. I saw Maiden in Oslo, it remains by far the gig I have ever attended. They were on fire, Bruce was in a terrific mood.

The setlist was probably the best they have done. Aces High and 2 Minutes to Midnight is the best opening combo there is. Hallowed is the best way to finish any gig. And then you can add songs like Revelations, Rime and Powerslave plus several hits, performed better than ever before.

So yeah, for me that was their best tour.

This is exactly what I mean... u took the words out of my mouth, except that I saw them at Ullevi (which is one of my best memories of my whole life)

Best is kind of subjective point, but from personal point of view, it was one of my favourites. I was definitely most hyped for that one, saw them 3 times on that tour and been on stage during HCW. So, yeah, I really have fond memories of SBIT.

Considering band's point of view I think it was definitely one of the major step-ups for them, like going from "big in heavy metal" to "big in music industry". There are probably lot of people who haven't heard of them until then, and the tour made it possible, people who heard of them but never listened a song and at least heard few songs after SBIT, and most important a hunder thousands of them who saw them for the very first time. The fact that they copied the blueprint of that tour 2 more times somehow approves the fact how succesfull it was.

Back