Bruce Dickinson - What Does This Button Do?

Why not? We compare stuff on this boards all the time. If someone can compare Maiden to Metallica (as in the "most popular band" thread). Besides, DSToM is not an universal masterpiece, walk out of the rock box into classical and jazz and see what people there consider "masterpieces". Anyways, your input into everything Samson in much appreciated, as you being on-board so don't consider this anything more than a constructive argument ;)

Why not? We compare stuff on this boards all the time. If someone can compare Maiden to Metallica (as in the "most popular band" thread). Besides, DSToM is not an universal masterpiece, walk out of the rock box into classical and jazz and see what people there consider "masterpieces". Anyways, your input into everything Samson in much appreciated, as you being on-board so don't consider this anything more than a constructive argument ;)

Thank you so much, Zare, I'm very happy to being here!

And I'm an Iron Maiden fan too. Of course, there are Iron Maiden albums that I love a lot, and others than I love less. I guess it works that way for almost anyone here.

Man, I haven't been here a while.

Anyway, I read the book and was sorta disappointed. I mean, what was here was nice, but there was barely anything about maiden. There were, I think, 2 sentences about Adrian and Dave, and 3 more about Nicko and Steve. Janick got a bit more because of the solo album. Where's the discussion about the writing process? Individual songs? That sort of thing.
Also him returning to the band sounded kinda cocky.

Also, he did mention deciding not to include his wife and kids, but that was a really poor choice I think. The human element is what drives biographical stories, not airplanes and fencing. That's why the music chapters and the cancer chapter are the best in the book (but could be better).

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but very much wanted more about the writing process and his band mates.

I loved it. Loads of stuff about piloting and solo albums. Really liked the Sarajevo bits, had no idea what it was like, no complaints from me.

I loved the book ,but from reading it i got the strong impression that Bruce prefers aviation to music ,on the other hand all his recent interviews indicate that his passion for music and touring remains intact.

I actually thought that the most interesting sections were where he talked about his voice training (partly because this is genuinely news - as far as I'm aware he's never gone into this before). He's self taught but he did it properly, which probably explains a lot about both the quality of his voice and the fact he still has it.

Not sure. I feel he has been talking at least as much about flying as about music since he started flying profesionally. I am glad a lot of flying talk was cut from the book.

I don't think Bruce prefers aviation to music. I think Bruce has been talking about music since 1981, and people still ask him more about that than his love of flying. This was his time to talk about flying, is all.

It's exactly what my girlfriend is saying :bigsmile:

Back