Black Metal

I like the use of keyboards on this particular album. Adds a melodic but also "epic" (hard to describe) touch.

And from my experience of it so far, black metal is a genre that really benefits from the lo-fi approach.
Iryo. No matter the genre, I can't tolerate garbage production, that, for example, Mayhem uses intentionally. Btw... Keep Of Kalessin almost qualified for Eurovision, they aren't exactly lo-fi :p Armada is a way better album btw, altho Reptilian has my favorite song of theirs (Dark As Moonless Night).

Btw. interested if you're gonna continue towards newer albums by Borknagar, Satyricon, Darkthrone and Primordial. All 4 bands sound drastically different (and better IMO) lately.

No matter the genre, I can't tolerate garbage production, that, for example, Mayhem uses intentionally.

Full on garbage sound isn't what I'm looking for either, but what I heard from Emperor, Darkthrone, Dissection, Satyricon and such still retain that lo-fi aesthetic without dragging the music down or inducing ear fatigue.

Keep Of Kalessin almost qualified for Eurovision, they aren't exactly lo-fi :p

Well yeah, that's my point. Their music sounded way too overproduced and pristine for me.

Btw. interested if you're gonna continue towards newer albums by Borknagar, Satyricon, Darkthrone and Primordial.

I've really liked what I've heard from Darkthrone and Satyricon, so probably. The other bands, only if I have a lot of time on my hands, most likely.

How do you like this, Flash? Pretty symphonic. Love that calmer part. From: Aspera Hiems Symfonia (1996).
(BTW: the title is wrong. It is "To Thou Who Dwellest in the Night")

Last edited:
I can say now with certainty that the project so far has given me three new favorite bands: Darkthrone, Emperor and Satyricon. Heard eight albums between them and loved every single one.

One of my favorite black metal albums is Svartalvheim by Ancient (also one of my fav bm bands) from 1994. Perhaps not the best playing, but its black atmosphere and the riffs and the sound (especially the guitar) grabs me very much.
Aphazel: Guitars, bass & keyboards
Grimm: Drums & vocals

Two EP in the same vein:
Det Glemde Riket

Two songs from their Trolltaar EP (1995)

Their second album, The Cainian Chronicle (1996), is a classic:
but changed their sound.

Last year they released their seventh album Back to the Land of the Dead, after a break of 12(!) years. Sounds a lot tighter and modern, with excellent drummer Nick Barker. Great album if you ask me.

I'll be seeing Ancient in December, looking forward to it as hell.

Last edited:
T Genix Drink lots of water. You need at least eight glasses of water a day to keep you hydrated. If you don't like water, then you can replace it with other healthy beverages such as fruit or vegetable juice, and soup. Stay away from coffee and tea as they contain caffeine. If you are suffering from diarrhea or vomiting, then you need to drink more water or other fluids.

http://www.strongtesterone.com/t-genix/
That is the most black metal song I have ever heard.

And, on the subject of diarrhea, there was a much better recommendation today:
This works for me. Well, I say it works, I mean it worked one time and I now stand by it for all time. It is this; tighten up. Pretend yer fine.
I discovered this method when bored with diarrhoea. I was abroad and I didn't move for a few days, sick as fuck, which ate into my fun-time-travel-time and I eventually decided that if I was gonna shit myself, I may as well shit myself on the road. This was quite a big decision, given my circumstances at the time. Literally the day I made this decision I stopped shitting myself. Now, I am not saying that some sort of positive mental attitude can cure all ills but it certainly increased my good-time-fun-time. And get some vitamin C tablets.

Gave Nattens Madrigal by Ulver a shot, but had to stop after the first song. Tinnitus, the Album right there.

Back