Black Metal

Updates, @The Flash? :p

Also, I'll hate Mayhem forever. Because of their garbage production, I had to blast their last album on max volume on headphones, then got tinnitus the next day. Probably unconnected, but meh.

Oh, another recommendation - Bal-Sagoth are awesome!

I was a huge fan of Bal-Sagoth as a kid, before I lost interest because they started to sound overly cheesy :p. I think they have a couple of very cool songs, though. In the Raven-Haunted Forests..., The Scourge of the Fourth Celestial Host, Starfire... and A Black Moon... come to mind. The last could be the ultimate black metal song if it was trimmed here and there and sounded more professional - the intro and the calm middle section are disgustingly good.

Regarding Mayhem, @Magnus is on the money. The rest of you are insane.

Let's not forget Deathcrush too now, the title track of which is probably the best black metal song (outside of Mercyful Fate) I've heard up to now.

And some more recommendations

Drottnar - Stratum
Carach Angren - Where the Corpses Sink Forever
Elgibbor - The Imminent Invasion
Holy Blood - Волны танцуют
Fire Throne - Day of Darkness and Blackness

Difficult to get to everything, but I've heard the following records since asking for suggestions:
  • A Blaze in the Northern Sky by Darkthrone. Very dark, but in an exciting manner. I can see this one turning into a favorite after a couple more spins, enjoyed it quite a bit. Favorite track: "The Pagan Winter"
  • Under the Sign of Hell by Gorgoroth. Good, but didn't stick with me as much as the one above. Could use more tracks, felt too short. Favorite track: "The Rite of Infernal Invocation"
  • Isa by Enslaved. Opeth's black metal counterpart? I read that they evolved into this sound later on so maybe not a great representation. But I enjoyed it so maybe it is. Favorite track: "Violet Dawning"
  • Aspera Hiems Symfonia by Arcturus. Had some cool stuff but way too symphonic for me. It's not understated like it is on In the Nightside Eclipse. Favorite track: "Fall of Man"
  • The Mantle by Agalloch. This is almost a post-rock record, very few genuinely dark moments. Acoustic parts sounded a bit samey at times, but overall quite good. Favorite track: "Odal"
  • Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection. Fuck this was good. So many tight riffs throughout, significantly catchier than the other stuff on this list. Favorite track: "Unhallowed"
  • The Shadowthrone by Satyricon. Fell off a little bit near the end but the first side of the record was immense. The drumming is the best I've heard on a black metal record so far. Favorite track: "Woods to Eternity"
  • Till fjälls by Vintersorg. Did not enjoy this record even a little bit. Sorry @JudasMyGuide. The vocals were a huge turn-off and the music wasn't terribly exciting either. Favorite track: "Fängad utav nordens själ"

Last edited:
I'm curious what you think of the lyrics to The Throne Of Tragedy and Of Nails And Sinners by Arcturus

IIRC, The Throne of Tragedy is a.) very thought-out and poetic lyrics-wise, b.) actually not that blasphemic, or not any more than Paradise Lost. It's written from the Lucifer's point of view and it definitely does not make him look like a hero, IMHO. Anyway, even if it did, yes, this is the kind of stuff I was talking about.

The lyrics to Nails I honestly admit I've probably never fully understood, apart from maybe the general "proud to be damned" vibe - which shows kind of misunderstanding what "damnation" really is, but I don't mind. Probably not as well-written as Throne, but cool anyway.

Honestly, for example a lot of Epica's lyrics show low understanding what religion, Christianity or possibly belief in general is actually about, yet I like them anyway. While preachy and heavy-handed at times (gee, what an irony), Jansen's lyrics show at least the thinking atheist's point of view and sometimes raise vaild points which make me stop to think and come up with my own answers. (Nightwish's Weak Fantasy is several levels lower, for example, only fitting since that was the album they started toying around with Dawkins).

So, to answer your question, yep, that's the stuff I have no problems listening to. Honestly, some of Opeth's stuff might be more "problematic" in that regard. :D

Last edited:
IIRC, The Throne of Tragedy is a.) very thought-out and poetic lyrics-wise, b.) actually not that blasphemic, or not any more than Paradise Lost. It's written from the Lucifer's point of view and it definitely does not make him look like a hero, IMHO. Anyway, even if it did, yes, this is the kind of stuff I was talking about.

The lyrics to Nails I honestly admit I've probably never fully understood, apart from maybe the general "proud to be damned" vibe - which shows kind of misunderstanding what "damnation" really is, but I don't mind. Probably not as well-written as Throne, but cool anyway.

Honestly, for example a lot of Epica's lyrics show low understanding what religion, Christianity or possibly belief in general is actually about, yet I like them anyway. While preachy and heavy-handed at times (gee, what an irony), Jansen's lyrics show at least the thinking atheist's point of view and sometimes raise vaild points which make me stop to think and come up with my own answers.

So, to answer your question, yep, that's the stuff I have no problems listening to. Honestly, some of Opeth's stuff might be more "problematic" in that regard. :D

Thank you for this, Judas. As for the Nails lyrics, I've always understood them to portrait Lucifer as the true (or "the veracious one") firstborn son?

Albums I've heard since the last update:
  • Hvis Lyset Tar Oss by Burzum. Dark ambient type repetitiveness going on here, but it was engaging throughout. Going full on ambient and leaving the black metal element alone is a bad idea though, the last track does that and it's nowhere near as good. Favorite track: "Det som engang var"
  • The Olden Domain by Borknagar. There were a couple of cool tracks here and there, but I'd be lying if this one really stuck with me upon the first listen. Wasn't as striking as I seem to prefer my black metal to be. Favorite track: "The Winterway"
  • Transilvanian Hunger by Darkthrone. I may have a new favorite band brewing here. I enjoyed this one even more than I did A Blaze in the Northern Sky. Just comes, crushes your soul and leaves; delightfully excellent in its one-dimensionality. Favorite track: "Skald av satans sol"
  • Dark Medieval Times by Satyricon. Pretty good, more clean passages compared to The Shadowthrone, but overall still quite gnarly. Drumming is clearly inferior compared to its successor, but the riffs are there. Favorite track: "Walk the Path of Sorrow"
  • Spirit the Earth Aflame by Primordial. Enjoyed the playing and the songwriting, but can't help but feel like this album could've been a lot better with a couple of tweaks. It could benefit from a rawer production and higher emphasis on harsh vocals. Favorite track: "Gods to the Godless"
  • Reptilian by Keep of Kalessin. Way too overproduced. Some great riffs and drumming on the record, but I've just never been able to get into modern, super clean metal production. And from my experience of it so far, black metal is a genre that really benefits from the lo-fi approach. Favorite track: "Judgement"
Stands outs from what I've heard so far are In the Nightside Eclipse, Transilvanian Hunger, Storm of the Light's Bane, A Blaze in the Northern Sky, The Shadowthrone, Dark Medieval Times and Isa.

Last edited:
@The Flash It's cool you're exploring the genre! Here are some recommendations from me:

The two best EPs by Mgła. Just a bit over 20 minutes. Perfect entry point to the band's catalogue:

If you like the above, check out their latest LP. The first track is one of my favourites ever, seriously.

And this third recommendation is probably the best BM album I've heard. The riffs are insane. It might be a difficult one to take in, but I really recommend it. It's pretty twisted. The atmosphere is quite unique.

Dark Medieval Times by Satyricon. Pretty good, more clean passages compared to The Shadowthrone, but overall still quite gnarly. Drumming is clearly inferior compared to its successor, but the riffs are there. Favorite track: "Walk the Path of Sorrow"
Walk the Path of Sorrow is also my fav! I'd say Frost (Kjetil-Vidar Haraldstad), the drummer in Satyricon is one of the best (live) drummers in the metal scene. Damn, he should've been nominated (if he isn't). This is very good stuff.
At the Heart of Winter by Immortal so far. .... did not enjoy the Immortal record whatsoever.
Also not the title track? I liked that one much more than the rest of the album.

I might do some other recommendation later, but for now:

Satyricon - Nemesis Divina. Their best album.

Back