Buckethead

Yea I've been paying attention to all that stuff, pretty exciting time in Bucketheadland. I'll definitely get the Bucketheadland 3 thing on vinyl, dunno if I'm interested in anything else.

Yeh, me too. I don't actually have anything I can play vinyl on but I've pre-ordered the Slunk Pass edition of the new Bucketheadland 5 13 10 31 anyway! :p

What do you think might be motivating the re-recordings? It's strikes me as kind of odd. In terms of the tour, if he has a band (e.g. Brain or something crazier) with him then I'm seriously thinking about pricing flights.

It does seem weird, honestly it's something I've never really understood from any artists. If you want to give a "modern" take of your music, that's what the live show is for. Could also be a case of Buckethead being a perfectionist and wanting to give promising material a second chance with his current skill and resources.

Also damn, just saw CO is one of only two tourdates so far. I assume there will be more, but it's probably going to be an exciting show.

It does seem weird, honestly it's something I've never really understood from any artists. If you want to give a "modern" take of your music, that's what the live show is for. Could also be a case of Buckethead being a perfectionist and wanting to give promising material a second chance with his current skill and resources.
But most people are suggesting the Pikes production (e.g. drumming) is actually poorer than earlier material (more of which was probably recorded & mixed in a full studio); so any re-recording is going to sound worse. I'm not sure if I entirely agree, but there may be more to it than simply re-recording these for the vinyl pressing. There may be some link to the new set of shows...
Also damn, just saw CO is one of only two tourdates so far. I assume there will be more, but it's probably going to be an exciting show.
Yeh, there'll be more. This happened last time with dates being found on venue sites before Buckethead actually had them announced on the Pikes site. The last time (2016) the tour turned out to be pretty extensive; I think ~60 gigs over nearly four months between early April and late July, with four more gigs in September. It is exciting; but also kind of disappointing (again) if it's just him with a backing track. It's kind of sad that we've not seen him with a band set-up since early 2012 (with That 1 Guy as "Frankenstein Brothers"). I'm still really hoping to see him & Brain back on stage together.

But most people are suggesting the Pikes production (e.g. drumming) is actually poorer than earlier material (more of which was probably recorded & mixed in a full studio); so any re-recording is going to sound worse. I'm not sure if I entirely agree, but there may be more to it than simply re-recording these for the vinyl pressing. There may be some link to the new set of shows...
I'd have to listen to some of these re-recordings then since I usually skip those. My thought is that Buckethead's production has gradually gotten better (some of the earlier stuff borders on unlistenable production) and the Pikes are good if he's putting effort in. I assume if he's going out of his way to redo something, he's probably putting effort into the production.

Holy shit, five CO shows. I'll be at the Gothic for sure

Okay, seriously now guys. What would be a feasible gig for me to attend if I'm getting an international flight in from the UK? A weekend could be possible. I'm going to hold off for some east coast gigs to be announced as it looks like he'll maybe be there later in the year.

Last edited:
Dunno what would be best as far as price/logistics go, but CO obviously has the most options. Boulder has an airport not too far from the Fox Theatre, which is a great venue. That's the show I'd want to go to out of the 5 in Denver, although Gothic is closer so I'll probably end up with that.

Dunno what would be best as far as price/logistics go, but CO obviously has the most options. Boulder has an airport not too far from the Fox Theatre, which is a great venue. That's the show I'd want to go to out of the 5 in Denver, although Gothic is closer so I'll probably end up with that.
@Mosh you attending any of the CO gigs? Would love to hear some feedback/review from you if you attended. Tour starts tonight...

Forgot all about it tbh. Been crazy busy this semester but the gig closest to me is Saturday night so I'll try to make it.

Back