Buckethead

I’m considering buying them all. Went back to some of the albums that were released and remembered that these are mostly cream of the crop. I wasn’t crazy about Elephant Man’s Alarm Clock the first time around but I might give it another shot for the vinyl.

The Pikes are interesting picks too. I remember Roller Coaster Track Repair being a lot of fun.

Any idea what Live From Bucketheadland is? If it’s the current tour I’m probably not interested.

I’m considering buying them all. Went back to some of the albums that were released and remembered that these are mostly cream of the crop. I wasn’t crazy about Elephant Man’s Alarm Clock the first time around but I might give it another shot for the vinyl.
Yeh, I'd buy them all in a flash; shipping to UK is all that's holding me back.
The Pikes are interesting picks too. I remember Roller Coaster Track Repair being a lot of fun.
Still a pretty bizarre early pick for vinyl treament. Maybe he digs that cover?
Any idea what Live From Bucketheadland is? If it’s the current tour I’m probably not interested.
Not sure what Live From Bucketheadland will be. I always assumed it would be recorded later in the tour when they start playing the material off Bucketheadland 5 13 10 31; assuming that's what happens.

Still a pretty bizarre early pick for vinyl treament. Maybe he digs that cover?
Seems as likely an explanation as any. Putting all the Pikes on vinyl is unrealistic so I’m curious about the selection process. They’re short enough that you could cram each Pike onto a single side of vinyl or he could 10” records.
Not sure what Live From Bucketheadland will be. I always assumed it would be recorded later in the tour when they start playing the material off Bucketheadland 5 13 10 31; assuming that's what happens.
Right, that makes sense. Could also be an in studio performance.

Seems as likely an explanation as any. Putting all the Pikes on vinyl is unrealistic so I’m curious about the selection process. They’re short enough that you could cram each Pike onto a single side of vinyl or he could 10” records.
Honestly, who knows. For example, Decaying Parchment (Pike #269), which was only just out, is getting a vinyl release with a new cover. I mean, why?
Right, that makes sense. Could also be an in studio performance.
It could be. The "Soothsayer" Live DVD Pre Order for example (track choice & price aside) has been confirmed as a totally individual & separate recording for each buyer. So... how many studio/live recordings of this is he going to have to do? He's crazy! :D

I can't imagine many people are going to cough up $100 + shipping for the Soothsayer DVD.

For me to even consider spending that much I would want to at least pick the song he performs. Soothsayer is cool but the original on Crime Slunk Scene is enough for me.

Pike 267 - Throacic Spine Collapser: What's with the sudden endings in the tracks?

Not a bad Pike at all. His rollercoaster themed Pikes tend to be pretty exciting and this was no exception. I liked the short song format, the sudden endings were pretty abrasive but then again it fit the material. Some shreddy/noodly moments, I think I enjoy those more now that I've taken some time off from his music. Nerve Stability at T6 had a really awesome build, one of the Pike's highlights. The closing track was also atmospheric Buckethead at its finest. Buckethead's albums in general are usually especially good when there is a sort of theme. This Pike had that and for the most part it worked. I could absolutely see this being the soundtrack to a rollercoaster, much like the previously mentioned Roller Coaster Track Repair (although not quite as good).

Pike 268 - Sonar Rainbow: Going back to a longer song format. Love the buildup in the opening title track. Lots of great atmosphere before Buckethead really gets going with a ripping guitar solo (he played a similar sort of solo during Animal Behavior at the concert and it was awesome).

The Maddening of Mercury is even better though. Some relentlessly heavy stuff here. The riffs are brutal and the melodies are sinister. Some eerie guitar noises top it off. One of his best compositions in recent Pikes.

Debris continues the mood of the previous song but with a more syncopated angular riffing. Short but good stuff.

Venomous Fog is back to the atmospheric melodic style of the title track, although there are still some heavy moments sprinkled in. Very dynamic track.

And a very dynamic Pike overall. One of the best this year. Don't miss it.

Pike 269 - Decaying Parchment: Lots of variety here. Some crazy atonal shredding but also some melodic stuff (mostly in the first track). I really like the last track where he piles on a bunch of overdubs. I'm usually not fond of that sort of thing but it's pretty cool in this context. One of those Pikes that has something for everyone, although I wish there was a bit more mellow stuff. That opener was such a tease.

This is a very weird selection for vinyl. It's a good Pike, but Sonar Rainbow is much stronger. Not sure how this stands out among nearly 300 other contenders for vinyl release.

Pike 270 - A3
: A noise Pike? If I'm not mistaken, there hasn't been one of these since the 31 Days Til Halloween gauntlet. He's really come a long way since then, this is by far the best noise album he's made. There are some melodic moments that are really sparse and creepy sounding. The atmosphere is perfect. This is a moody album and it's obvious he put a lot of thought into it. None of those needlessly abrasive noises that ruin the atmosphere of earlier albums, everything seems carefully placed. This gets a half recommendation. I liked it a lot, but I don't know if it's enough to win over those who don't like the style. Personally, I would put this on a Halloween sound track (most of his actual Halloween albums wouldn't make the cut).

Pike 271 - The Squaring Of the Circle: The title track is awesome. The rest isn't quite at the same level of quality but it's still very good. Lots of great riffs and jams, some really well thought out moments that remind you that more thought goes into these Pikes then you would think. Also some sonic variety, mostly in the guitar tones. Love the different sounds in Decake. The only song that wasn't doing it for me was Scalp Assail, the rest is well worth checking out.

Pike 272 - Coniuncito
: A one track Pike, another thing that hasn't been seen in some time. This is ambience unlike any of Buckethead's previous ambient/noise Pikes. Much more calm and minimalist. Very Brian Eno-esque. It w as relaxing and perfect for background music while reading. I love this kind of thing but, like A3, it's not for everyone. This would go on a background music playlist for sure.

I try not to get too enthusiastic about recommending Pikes but I really enjoyed all of these. They had variety and it felt like Bucket was experimenting more than usual. 2017 has really shaped up to be one of his best years. After listening to these, I'm more confident in Bucketheadland 3 and look forward to how he finishes off the year (surely there will be some more Pikes to come?).

< Previous Review
I'll finish my review-of-reviews (the #250's and #260's) at some point over the next few months.
Catch up time! :ok:
Pike 250 - 250: Nice new logo. This Pike was kinda disappointing. Lots of noodling. There were some exciting moments mixed in but overall it seemed like a filler Pike. Yet it was his 250th and he felt it was necessary to commemorate that, I’m surprised the music wasn’t that special. Is the number of albums more important than the musical content? Times like these make me wonder.
Yeh, like you I was pretty disappointed by this Pike what with it being #250; although to be fair I probably wouldn't have thought that if he hadn't highlighted it himself in the title. Most of these milestones have come & gone without any tip-of-the-hat what-so-ever from Bucket. First/main track, Two, has quite a lot going on; I like the big cookie-monster tone again. I think someone suggested it sounded like a bit of a live mix i.e. that the tone/mix sounded very reminiscent of how he'd just sounded on the previous tour. There's some nice little interludes & it's entertaining enough but way too long (4*). Hundred is pretty bizarre. Starts off Primus-ey then goes pretty off-the-rails. A total style mishmash, but an enjoyable enough listen (4*). And is probably the poorest track of this Pike; and there already haven't been any real highlights. Tone is pretty rough & heavy to begin with & has this cool fairly unprocessed booming bass bit early on too; but kinda descends into generic Buckethead thrash/shred stuff. Potential, but too much unpolished stuff going on here (3*). Fifty is slightly better. Again there is quite a prominent bass tone thing going on which is a welcome change. Quite experimental this one; interesting listen with sweeping/shred stuff later in the track which is actually serving a purpose for a change too (4*). Overall a pretty average release.
Pike 251 - Waterfall Cove: And it doesn’t take long for him to redeem himself with this one. Great mellower Pike. It ends with a heavier tune, which usually works in this format, but I found it kinda unnecessary on this Pike. Everything else is great.
Fantastic Pike from start-to-finish. Waterfall Cove has that dreamy, pensive, urgency that he does so, so well. Nice synth work & just a really natural, flowing track that breezes by as you dream of other place/times. Superb track (5*). Whispers Way is slower & far more melancholy. Again, amazingly dreamy track; this stuff just seems to flow out of him. Nice mid-section lead work, nothing too flashy. Glorious overall (5*). The Barren Plains is very short, but very good. Similar in feel to the first track; acoustic with urgency. Two minutes in is just lovely, lovely stuff. Very nice (5*). 9001 is slightly different; starts off in a similar vein to everything else on this release, but then goes all cookie-monster heavy. As you say, feels slightly unnecessary in a way. Jumps about between acoustic & heavy pretty effectively though. Still think it's a great track, although perhaps the weakest of the four (5*). Overall a great Pike.
Pike 252 - Bozo In the Labyrinth: Another group of relatively shorter songs. I feel this is what 250 should’ve been. A nice variety of Buckethead’s different styles with solid songwriting, riffs, and solos. This Pike has a little bit of everything and most of it is high quality. The best stuff is actually toward the end of the album. Love the melodic riffing on The Chambers and the Latin guitar work on the closing title track. Nice Pike.
Mirrors of the Sleeping Mind is a great track. The guitar work is really everything here; from that lovely skipping guitar work at ~02:14 mark, to the screaming lead work a minute later. The soloing dominates the second half of the track & is actually pretty intense; but the tone is light & it keeps it from sounding like mindless shredding. Good stuff (5*). Cliff Faces starts with that really laid-back but strangely epic feel Buckethead sometimes slides into; heavy but melodic too. That phrasing at ~03:04 is simply awesome. Another really fine track (5*). Flooded Bathroom is a bit more upbeat with rock riffing; he still has that pretty fuzzy lead tone though. Some nice bluesy elements too. Would be kind of generic if it wasn't for that glorious soloing from midway through (4*). The atmosphere returns with Branch. Really stripped down acoustic work with brooding synths. Quite like the "beats" instead of programmed drumming too; sometimes this just works better. Short but good (5*). The Chambers is the real odd chicken here. Unashamedly upbeat & catchy to begin with; hard not to love this! More thoughtful solo mid-section. Pretty damn fine (5*). Bozo in the Labyrinth starts pretty ferociously with driving riffing & pounding drums; this is juxtaposed with latin guitar interludes, shredding & then some acoustic sections. Sounds bizarre, but it totally works (5*). Love this Pike.
Pike 253 - Coop Erstown: This Pike was a bore. Lots of noodly shreddy tracks and generic bluesy stuff. The last track has some decent stuff but not enough to save this Pike. I dig the artwork though.
Yeh, overall this release was quite disappointing; don't know if it's the tone/mix, but it all sounds kinda the same. Real flat sound to this Pike, which pulls down quite a lot of what he's actually written. Coop Erstown (the first track) is decent; I can listen to this sort of shredding mixed with that reasonably groovy bass line. Some decent riffs in here & the soloing is pretty melodic too. I like that simple open chord work at ~04:40 (3*). Tinkertrack starts all muddy sounding. The shredding is actually quite melodic here & there; and that bassline is pretty badass. But overall it's just way too meandering without really going anywhere (3*). Quadruple Chicken Barn starts off all funky/bluesy. Sometimes I find these tracks quite good, but this lacks the real groove of better tracks & just feels totally generic. Doesn't go anywhere (3*). Clay Hen is better. In fact if you can get past the tone/mix there's actually quite a lot of decent stuff to like about this track. A step up but still nothing to write home about (3*). Now Rooms of Brooms is something even better. Some really pretty stuff early on here; with the lead work ghosting in really nicely. Main soloing is a bit long I suppose & we've heard all this before. Still, I think this track is decent (4*). Poor Pike overall.

Next Review >

Last edited:
I'm totally stunned.

EDIT: There's so much revelatory material in this interview it's hard to know where to start. One thing I always wondered & which he basically confirms is he really can't see that much in respect to playing live. One thing I've noticed with Buckethead (which you can't really miss if you've watched loads of live clips of him), that isn't that common with other "virtuoso guitar players", is that he sometimes slips seriously out of position while playing. I always suspected having a mask on probably didn't help him instantly "save" that kind of situation; which is what other players would do. And clearly that is actually a massive problem. He says "but I mean, I blow it a lot too [in terms of his live playing], so, and then I can't see 'cause I have these eye things on, it's hard to see..." and then goes on to describe how he "can't really see" and the audience looks "ghost like". Just one of the many very interesting insights...

Last edited:
Nice he "came out" finally. The content is very open, very personal and the man even gives an (asked) advice to Buckethead.

I hope he feels better than he seems to come across now. This makes me a bit sad even. I hope he won't get too lonely.

Last edited:
Nice he "came out" finally. The content is very open, very personal and the man even gives an (asked) advice to Buckethead.

I hope he feels better than he seems to come across now. This makes me a bit sad even. I hope he won't get too lonely.
Explains quite a lot, doesn't it? I mean, he's been really unwell in some respects. Just makes me love the guy even more. Pretty brave to put this out there.

Last edited:
100 was not good enough to concerning obtaining it. Not adventurous/melodic enough for my taste. On 101:
The final track, Pathless Road, I really like (5*). It has some really choice soloing in the second half of the track; well worth hearing,
Yes.
but not sure if it's enough to rescue this Pike.
Since it is less than a quarter of the total: no.
Again, an uneven release.
Yes. I wish I had made a list of nice tracks on uneven pikes (in the first 100). Now these songs are going to be cursed with oblivion.
Will do from now on.

Last edited:
I have such a list...
We need to talk about that at some point. Meanwhile

The most viewed (listened) Buckethead studio album videos on YouTube
(all over 50.000 views; all others album videos have less than 50.000 views):

01. Electric Sea (2012)
02. Hold Me Forever (In memory of my mom Nancy York Carroll) (pike #65, 2014) -uploaded by Zoran Lozanoski-
03. Electric Tears (2002) -uploaded by Kaizoku Buggy-
04. Crime Slunk Scene (2006)
05. Colma (1998)
06. Claymation Courtyard (pike #51, 2014)
07. A Real Diamond in the Rough (2009) -uploaded by Ion Gheorghe-
08. Electric Tears (2002) -uploaded by PoliPoli-
09. Shadows Between the Sky (2010)
10. Albino Slug (2008)
11. Pepper's Ghost (2007)
12. It's Alive (pike #1, 2011)
13. Population Override (2004)
14. Monument Valley (pike #49, 2014)
15. Captain EO's Voyage (2010)
16. Leave the Light On (pike #66, 2014)
17. Bucketheadland (1992)
18. Footsteps (pike #60, 2014)
19. The Spirit Winds (pike #17, 2013)
20. Telescape (pike #23, 2013)
21. It Smells Like Frogs (pike #38, 2013)

22. Look Up There (pike #5, 2011)
23. Crumple (pike #213, 2015)
24. Heaven is Your Home (For my Father, Thomas Manley Carroll) (pike #150, 2015)

25. Acoustic Shards (1991)
26. Untitled (pike #13, 2013)
27. Pitch Dark (pike #50, 2014)
28. March of the Slunks (pike #9, 2012)
29. Worms for the Garden (pike #26, 2013)
30. A Real Diamond in the Rough (2009) -uploaded by PoliPoli-
31. Project Little Man (pike #104, 2015) - uploaded by PoliPoli-

32. Rise of the Blue Lotus (pike #32, 2013)
33. Celery (pike #71, 2014)
34. Bucketheadland 2 (2003)
35. Rooms of Illusions (pike #209, 2015)
36. Racks (pike #8, 2012)
37. The Shores of Molokai (pike #7, 2012)

38. Listen for the Whisper (pike #90, 2014)
39. Project Little Man (pike #104, 2015) - uploaded by BurnHoleInMyHeart-
40. Our Selves (pike #86, 2014)
41. Coat of Charms (pike #40, 2013)
42. Hold Me Forever (In memory of my mom Nancy York Carroll) (pike #65, 2014) -uploaded by Polipoli-
43. The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock (2006)
44. Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot (2007)

45. Twisterlend (pike #39, 2013)
46. Cycle (pike #56, 2014)
47. Poseidon (pike #264, 2017)
48. Backwards Chimney (pike #42, 2014)
49. The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell (2004)
50. Enter the Chicken (2005)

51. Coaster Coat (pike #93, 2014)

Non-pike album videos: 19

Pike videos 2014: 13
Pike videos 2013: 8
Pike videos 2015: 5
Pike videos 2012: 3
Pike videos 2011: 2
Pike videos 2017: 1
Pike videos 2016: 0

Last edited:
Actually quite surprising that there are so many Pikes even on this, since they're all of pretty recent release and there are so many of them. It would be interesting to see what are the most played individual tracks on iTunes or Spotify or something.

Also, Hold Me Forever is on that twice.

I just edited it @CriedWhenBrucieLeft

There are more albums twice. And look! There is one 2017 pike! How did that one end up on there. There isn't even one from 2016.

And I can't resist saying I am grinning to know The Pit is not there. Muhaha. Good to know I am not the only one who finds it one of the lesser ones in that particular run.

What a coincidence that I just listened to Project Little Man. Apparently an album that was checked out a lot (twice in the list).

Last edited:
And here is the overview translated to albums only (without the double ones):

The most viewed (listened) Buckethead studio albums on YouTube (all over 50.000 views; all others albums have less than 50.000 views):

01. Electric Sea (2012)
02. Hold Me Forever (In memory of my mom Nancy York Carroll) (pike #65, 2014)
03. Electric Tears (2002)
04. Crime Slunk Scene (2006)
05. Colma (1998)
06. Claymation Courtyard (pike #51, 2014)
07. A Real Diamond in the Rough (2009)
08. Shadows Between the Sky (2010)
09. Albino Slug (2008)
10. Pepper's Ghost (2007)
11. It's Alive (pike #1, 2011)
12. Population Override (2004)
13. Monument Valley (pike #49, 2014)
14. Captain EO's Voyage (2010)
15. Leave the Light On (pike #66, 2014)
16. Bucketheadland (1992)
17. Footsteps (pike #60, 2014)
18. The Spirit Winds (pike #17, 2013)
19. Telescape (pike #23, 2013)
20. It Smells Like Frogs (pike #38, 2013)

21. Look Up There (pike #5, 2011)
22. Crumple (pike #213, 2015)
23. Heaven is Your Home (For my Father, Thomas Manley Carroll) (pike #150, 2015)

24. Acoustic Shards (1991)
25. Untitled (pike #13, 2013)
26. Pitch Dark (pike #50, 2014)
27. March of the Slunks (pike #9, 2012)
28. Worms for the Garden (pike #26, 2013)
29. Project Little Man (pike #104, 2015)

30. Rise of the Blue Lotus (pike #32, 2013)
31. Celery (pike #71, 2014)
32. Bucketheadland 2 (2003)
33. Rooms of Illusions (pike #209, 2015)
34. Racks (pike #8, 2012)
35. The Shores of Molokai (pike #7, 2012)

36. Listen for the Whisper (pike #90, 2014)
37. Our Selves (pike #86, 2014)

38. Coat of Charms (pike #40, 2013)
39. The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock (2006)
40. Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot (2007)

41. Twisterlend (pike #39, 2013)
42. Cycle (pike #56, 2014)
43. Poseidon (pike #264, 2017)
44. Backwards Chimney (pike #42, 2014)
45. The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell (2004)
46. Enter the Chicken (2005)

47. Coaster Coat (pike #93, 2014)

Non-pike albums: 17

2014 pikes: 12
2013 pikes: 8
2015 pikes: 4
2012 pikes: 3