Official Hockey discussion thread

Which is not too bad, actually. The term is great for the Oilers and it's not even close to the highest percentage of cap (which is the real metric by which this should be measured, imo). And good for me, because I have McDavid and Price in my fantasy pool.

Nice! and I agree regarding cap percentage. Kid definitely deserves it. I'm just excited for Edmonton in general. The teams I'm keeping a close eye on next season are the Penguins, Edmonton, Toronto and Vegas. My Bruins seem to be in a rebuild mode or in denial, either way, I don't see much to be excited about outside of Rask and Bergeron. Chara is old and Marchand, while a good player, is an ass.

A wild card team to have an eye on are the Calgary Flames. The team doesn't have a Mcdavid, but they have Johnny Gaudreau (scored up 80 points in 2015/2016), Sean Monahan (averaged around 60 points for the last three years), then upcoming stars Michael Ferland and Matthew Tkachuk, along with a great defensive lineup with Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, Stone and Hamonic.
If Mike Smith can be fairly consistent for the team in net, I'm seeing the potential for a deep playoff run. Maybe like Ottawa this season with Craig Andersson. Patrick Roy, Dwayne Roloson and Tim Thomas had some of their best seasons past 35 years as well, so I think Smith has the potential to do well.

Last edited:
Hamonic was a smart pickup for the Flames, but I'm not ready to say they go deep yet. They couldn't win a playoff game last year - maybe second round, unless something crazy happens. I fear they may end up getting good just as the Oilers again get great - shades of the 1980s.

Shades of the 80s? Bring it on! Calgary won in 89! I mean it doesn't beat EDM's success, but at least they won. As for smith... he's good, definitely not Roy good, but not ready to say he is at the very least as consistent as Thomas or Roloson were for their teams. He needs to be very sharp, he doesn't have the team Cory Crawford has in front of him to get by on being competent.

DIU_lkNW4AAlhzx.jpg

Some news on Jarome Iginla:
http://nationalpost.com/sports/hock...unsigned-by-choice-as-nhl-training-camps-loom
His agent is more or less saying that he is only going to sign a contract if an offer comes from a team with a real chance of winning the Stanley Cup.

Turning down an offer from the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2014 and signing with Colorado instead, propably cost him his last shot at winning it though.

Last edited:
Not at all. I'm curious if he's doing the same thing that Iginla is doing and waiting for a call from the right team.

Oh yeah, I'd seriously consider getting a Jagr 68 jersey if he joined les Habitants. Or Iginla, for that matter (though his traditional 12 wouldn't be available in Montreal).

There's a small chance that Jagr could be signed at a later point (at least if he goes home playing).

As an example, Calgary signed a 40-year old Curtis Joseph in January 2008 to relieve Kiprusoff a bit, who had appeared in 45 of 46 games. Joseph had only played in the Spengler Cup for Canada up to that point during the season http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/curtis-joseph-back-in-nhl-with-flames-1.754425

If Jagr goes home, then appears in the olympics and plays well, I think someone could sign him for a playoff push.

Is it me, or does it feel like the IOC, IIHF and NHL conspired to keep NHL players from the Olympics? Are pros from other leagues, like the KHL, allowed to go?

Back