Where do you see Iron Maiden going after TBOS ?

I agree that RE production on the Blaze albums but The X Factor in particular puzzles me. I like the songs. But there is a sluggish/turgid/ploddy quality to a lot of it. There are moments where the band sound downright disinterested. How could this be allowed? If it was all just down to production then surely somebody would have interjected. Is it possible that everyone was so afraid of Steve that they couldn't question his choice of producer or studio or his own co-production work? I can't really see that. However, if Steve decided that he wanted the album to sound exactly as it does, I can imagine him digging his heels in. I mean, if Steve listened to the playback and wasn't happy then surely he could/would have done something? Twiddled a knob, recruited a professional. Maybe its like the parent who can't admit that their child is ugly as fuck. But aye, maybe I am underestimating the skill and quality of a good producer.

I think Steve was happy with the production. I think he wanted the music to sound dreary and sludgy and brutal, and he was pleased with that sound. He's said many times that it's a very personal album for him. I'm not saying I agree with Steve. I quite like The X Factor, but part of me is curious what it would have sounded like if Martin Birch had mixed it.

I remember seeing an interview with Blaze when he said that that the first time everyone played the songs together at the same time was at the rehearsals for The X Factour, perhaps that can explain some things. Maybe was a video interview from 1995 or the fanclub magazine from that time, I can't remember now.

Absolutely, I am a big fan of the album but will admit that there is a certain something missing at times and maybe Birch or someone would of made it better. Still, I appreciate it for what it is

I remember seeing an interview with Blaze when he said that that the first time everyone played the songs together at the same time was at the rehearsals for The X Factour, perhaps that can explain some things. Maybe was a video interview from 1995 or the fanclub magazine from that time, I can't remember now.
I remember a similar interview where he mentioned that he was surprised that they'd rehearse a song like Sign of the Cross without being able to get through the whole thing and then decide to go ahead and record.

I've actually been really into X Factor lately. It's one of those albums that gets a little better every time I listen to it. That being said, it lays the foundation for better things later on. As far as the production goes, I don't even think Birch is necessary. The X Factor seems to be going for a similar raw sound that they get with Kevin Shirley. Say what you will about Shirley, but I imagine most people would agree that the Shirley produced albums are mostly better than X Factor sonically.

If the X Factor was recorded by Shirley with current line-up it would be as good an album as any of the reunion ones. I think it has a lot more in common with the reunion era than the 80's or other 90's albums.

they're done making new albums..... that's how I feel. TBOS is a great album to end their career with. TFF was not.... they have been on a hit or miss deal for awhile from my prospective with their albums...

probably see 2 more tours history related to something, whether it be the Legacy game or whatever.

they're done making new albums..... that's how I feel. TBOS is a great album to end their career with. TFF was not.... they have been on a hit or miss deal for awhile from my prospective with their albums...

probably see 2 more tours history related to something, whether it be the Legacy game or whatever.

Why would they be done making new albums? I fully expect one more album.

Absolutely, I am a big fan of the album but will admit that there is a certain something missing at times and maybe Birch or someone would of made it better. Still, I appreciate it for what it is

For my ears, the biggest problem is that the drums are so damn loud in the mix. It sucks the energy out of the guitars.

Man on the Edge has loads of energy, and if you play that back to back with the other songs, just listen how much louder the guitars are on that one song, with the drums pulled back a little, and everything then sounds great.

It is a great album, with a bad mix in terms of drums and guitars.

Re reading interviews from TBOS release in classic rock magazine I'm convinced there will be one more studio album. Came from Harris himself.

I would definitely like a 90s tour. FOTD is a stellar underrated album and NPFTD has some killer tracks. It was just a bad time for metal in general in the 90s.

Why do people always say the 90's were bad for metal???

I hear this a lot along with how grunge killed metal blah blah blah. Pantera were one of the biggest bands on the planet in the 90's and there were hardly a timid band with a soft sound! Machine head were big plus slipknot emerged and became a major force. Then you've got all the fantastic death metal that came through the 90's. Bands like obituary, morbid angel, cannibal corpse, Death, carcass, napalm death and many more all released career best albums in the 90's. Metallica might have watered down their songs but they became massive and still played plenty of classic stuff on their tours. Megadeth released some quality stuff and so did slayer.

I got into metal and the very start of the 90's and found loads of great albums and. If metal tours to see. People seem to easy to dismiss 90's metal which puzzles me.

Off topic I know but whenever I see someone diss the 90's to me it sounds like a cliche these days.

I think it matters on where you lived and what media you were tuned into at the time. I was not tuned into the metal bandwidth in the 1990s, and I hadn't heard of any of the big names until the end of the decade.

It retreated further from mainstream culture in the 90s, imo. Ostentatious 80s excess was really sniffed at in the early 90s in particular. The metal that came to the forefront was more gritty.

You misunderstood. I was asking if you'd like another cup.

But while you're here, pass the jam, would you please?

Man on the Edge has loads of energy,

That is true and adds to my confusion with the album as a whole. Fortunes of War, The Aftermath and Edge of Darkness could all be classics. Edge of Darkness is pretty much Maiden in a nutshell. But a combination of personnel (thats for assholes), performance and production have conspired against the Blaze albums I hate to make comparisons but, really, truly, The X Factor with good production and maybe Bruce but more so Adrian's influence on the songs would be class. Its not that I want it to be different, its just that when I hear criticism of it I always feel that people maybe miss its potential and don't hear its good points. And Adrian or a proper producer would lift this album from a 'cult classic' to a Genuine Classic. BUT, I love the album and as they say in Russia, 'if yer granny had balls she would be yer granda'

I think both The X Factor and Virtual XI are solid releases with some really refreshing aspects to them. I think if the band paid more attention to them today fans would maybe re-engage with them and appreciate them for what they are. I listened to them a lot during the 90's but perhaps they're hard to approach for new fans.

I think both The X Factor and Virtual XI are solid releases with some really refreshing aspects to them. I think if the band paid more attention to them today fans would maybe re-engage with them and appreciate them for what they are. I listened to them a lot during the 90's but perhaps they're hard to approach for new fans.
This. Both albums aren't as bad as people make them out to be. And I don't even really care about the production - it fits them.

The X Factor pros:
-Sign of the Cross and Lord of the Flies are masterpieces
-Man on the Edge, The Aftermath, Judgement of Heaven, and 2 AM are all great songs as well
-None of the other songs are bad
-The album fits together nicely

Cons:
-It can get a little long if you're listening to the whole thing in one take

Virtual XI pros:
-Futureal is an excellent opener
-The Angel and the Gambler and Don't Look To The Eyes of a Stranger are not half as bad as people say. The repetition might be a little too much, but look at BNW. Everyone calls it a fucking masterpiece. :ninja:
-Lightning Strikes Twice is a cool little deep track
-The Clansman is a masterpiece
-Como Estais Amigos is a beautiful closer
-Blaze is a great vocalist

Cons:
-When Two Worlds Collide gets old fast and is pretty bland
-The Educated Fool is the worst song in Maiden's discography

For me at least, the pros of these two albums outweigh the cons.

We have opposite opinions on VXI. I think Two Worlds is an awesome track, The Educated Fool is top3 of the 1990s and Lightning Strikes Twice is awesome, too. Angel and Don't Look are tiresome. Former not so much.

Back