Diesel 11's Maiden Rankings

What, what, respectively?
RE The Apparition. Ok, the instrumental is good but really, seriously, it is in the bottom 5 Maiden songs ever. Not awful but certainly nothing special.

On the Canadian release Twilight Zone is listed as, well ahem, Twilight Zone.
On the Japanese it's listed as Details of Twilight Zone.
Silly to collect such things, I know.

Shit, you must've jinxed it!

44. Stranger In A Strange Land
Somewhere In Time (1986)
Unpopular opinion: Stranger In A Strange Land is the worst song on Somewhere In Time. Hold up, let me rephrase. Stranger In A Strange Land is my least favorite song on Somewhere In Time. Because it is a good song. All the way up at #44 in fact! Just, compared to the other songs on this amazing record, it's not as good. Yep, I said it. One of the album's most popular songs is my least favorite. Sue me. I do love the story this songs tells though - an explorer trapped in the ice, years later found as a warning to all... good fucking stuff. Sure, it's the lowest, but make no mistake - it's a good song.

considering this is your favorites list and SIASL is your least favorite, that means every song from that album is on your list! :rocker:

considering this is your favorites list and SIASL is your least favorite, that means every song from that album is on your list! :rocker:
Not only are all the songs from SIT on the list, but so are all the B-sides from the album's singles....

Dammit, I let this go too long again. MEGA POST!

43. Still Life
Piece of Mind (1983)
Of all the songs on POM that have made the list, this one was took the longest before I truly got it, and thus it's predictably also the lowest of the POM songs on this list. However, this could change at any moment. With every listen, it gets higher for me. I love this song, and the subject matter really draws me in. It's the Infinite Dreams of Piece of Mind, indeed, this song feels like it could have fit on either SIT or SSOASS just as much as POM. I have never wanted to jump in a pool as much as when listening to this song.

42. Virus
Best of the Beast (1996)
When you put a previously unreleased song on a 'best of' compilation, you better hope to god it's a great song. Virus is a great song. It's top tier Maiden material, plain and simple. The weakest part is the slow beginning, and even then it's not weak, it sets up the song perfectly, so that when it gets going it can really do something. And it does. I love the verses and chorus, and the ending is certainly an interesting way to go out. It struck me as weird the first time but it's grown on me ever since. Overall, a wonderful track highlighting some of the problems in our society.

41. Moonchild
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
Ladies and gentlemen, this is how you start an album. Whilst as a song it's not the best album opener in Maiden's discography (we need to wait until the Top 10 for that!) as specifically an album opener, this one is one of the greatest in history. It starts off with the seven deadly sins bit. Acoustic strumming. Soft vocals. Then that synth starts. Dunnunnunununun. It goes on until - BUM BUM BUM dununununun BUM BUM BUM. Slowly building up. Bum. Bum. Bum. Bum. Bum, Bum. Bum. Bum. BumumumumumumumumumumumumBOOM I AM HE THE BORNLESS ONE. And then I've already completely lost my shit and the rest of the song fails to impress. That's a joke. The song as a whole is great, some interesting lyrics sung by Lucifer himself, but the opening has already earned it a place in this Top 75. I'm making no sense, I realize. I'm sorry.

40. Be Quick or Be Dead
Fear of the Dark (1992)
This song deserves better than 40. It's one of the best songs on FOTD, one of their fastest in the entire discography, and for me has by far the best video. Why isn't it higher than 40? Dammit, Diesel, you had one job! I honestly don't really know what I can say more about this other than I love it and it deserves all of the chart success it got. Hopefully next time I go through and rank my favorite Maiden songs I actually do it right.

39. Reach Out
'Wasted Years' B-side (1986)
Lots of people would say that this is their favorite B-side, and while on occasion I'll wonder if that's just because Adrian's on vocals, nonetheless, this is a great song, a true 'hidden gem' in Maiden's discography. There are a few other B-sides that I prefer, but all-told, this is certainly a fine song. And of course, Adrian's doing an amazing job singing and like others, I wanna hear more! It's a little low but nonetheless, a top tier song.

38. Phantom of the Opera
Iron Maiden (1980)
I know what you're thinking: "PHANTOM IS 38?!" Yeah, I'm surprised too. This is a song that I've really grown to love, and I don't know why I was able to find a good 37 better ones than it. But nonetheless, look at this song. It's seven minutes with some of Paul's best vocals, one of Maiden's best and certainly most iconic instrumental sections, and it's their first 'epic' song. It's one of their most important tracks, and certainly deserves better. Next time I rank their stuff I'm gonna make sure of that.

Reach Out is definitely overhyped because of Adrian. Great song, but there are several better b-sides. Even That Girl is better and that was released around the same time.

Also Adrian did record solo album where he performed the vocals. I think it proves that his voice is best for one-offs and backing vocals, but not as a lead singer in a band.

Also Adrian did record solo album where he performed the vocals. I think it proves that his voice is best for one-offs and backing vocals, but not as a lead singer in a band.
Ah, cool, I'll check it out sometime.

37. Flight of Icarus
Piece of Mind (1983)
Why the hell does the band hate this song? It's great! You've got it all - great guitars, great vocals (some of Bruce's finest, I might add), an engaging little story, and fuck, it's only what, four minutes? Plus, this song is kind of a 'hit' for the band - you play it and the 'play classics' crowd will be happy. I personally enjoy Icarus, and whatever reason there is for not liking it, Steve, it should not exist!

36. Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden (1980)
Unless I've bullshitted myself, this is the final song off of the band's self-titled debut. I've already posted my thoughts on the album earlier on here, but as to this song, yes, it's my favorite off the album. (Though I just listened to POTO today and I'm starting to wonder if that'll change.) I love the riff in this song, the chorus is great, and as to the verses, this is one of the few times that repeating the same damn thing thrice actually works. I have no problem with it being played every concert. It's a good song.

35. Tailgunner
No Prayer For The Dying (1990)
We return to Maiden's 1990 LP one final time, this time for the album opener. This song is not very popular, apparently because it's "poor man's Aces High". If you're comparing Tailgunner with Aces High, then it's perfectly understandable that one would say this is a weak song. Here's a question though - why compare them in the first place? Both are radically different. Aces High is one of Maiden's fastest songs, whereas Tailgunner is a bit more of a trudger. Both songs are about WWII pilots, yet they're completely different besides that point. For the record, both are good songs as well. Tailgunner has a slow but great opening, and what follows is one of the band's most underrated tracks. The chorus is a particular standout, and I also have a cheeky enjoyment of Bruce's "nail that Fokker, kill that son", which while a little cheap is also a great Maiden moment. NPFTD is a mediocre album, but the opening number is nothing short of awesome.

35. Tailgunner
We return to Maiden's 1990 LP one final time, this time for the album opener. This song is not very popular, apparently because it's "poor man's Aces High". If you're comparing Tailgunner with Aces High, then it's perfectly understandable that one would say this is a weak song. Here's a question though - why compare them in the first place? Both are radically different. Aces High is one of Maiden's fastest songs, whereas Tailgunner is a bit more of a trudger. Both songs are about WWII pilots, yet they're completely different besides that point. For the record, both are good songs as well. Tailgunner has a slow but great opening, and what follows is one of the band's most underrated tracks. The chorus is a particular standout, and I also have a cheeky enjoyment of Bruce's "nail that Fokker, kill that son", which while a little cheap is also a great Maiden moment. NPFTD is a mediocre album, but the opening number is nothing short of awesome.

This track is honestly one of my least favourite on the album (so very low overall) and that's in large part due to the chorus. It grates on me a lot and I'm not entirely sure why.

I disagree. Adrian's vocals are very good on Silver and Gold, it's just that the songs aren't too strong, with the exception of The Lion.

This track is honestly one of my least favourite on the album (so very low overall) and that's in large part due to the chorus. It grates on me a lot and I'm not entirely sure why.
Huh. Personally I think my least favorite is probably Fates Warning, because there's nothing memorable about it at all. But then again, different opinions and whatnot! ;)

34. Fear of the Dark
Fear of the Dark (1992)
You just can't hate this song. Fear of the Dark is popular for a reason. Sure, it's a little cheesy for a band that spent a lot of time building up a career with songs that had no fear whatsoever - but then again, everyone can be afraid of the dark. Shit, even I am, and I'm the definition of a night owl. The song itself is catchy, it has a great opening and ending and one of Maiden's classic choruses. I'm not surprised that this song, despite being released during the '90s, is still hailed as one of Maiden's finest tunes - because it is. It's one of the greats.

33. Paschendale
Dance of Death (2003)
I hate myself right now. I really do. I love Paschendale. Alongside Empire of the Clouds and Sign of the Cross, it's one of the first songs that I think of when someone talks about a Maiden epic. The band throws you right in among the battlefield and you've got no escape. I love the lyrics to the song as well. Of course there's the "cruelty has a human heart", which is great, but another one is the chorus itself. I love how they change things up in it and make you see two different perspectives:
Home, far away
From the war, a chance to live again
Home, far away
But the war, no chance to live again

Every time I listen to this song my heart skips a beat. Shivers go down my spine. I have just one final thing to say: THIS SONG DESERVES BETTER AND I AM AN IDIOT.

Next up on the album rankings:

Iron-Maiden-Killers.jpg

#9: Killers (1981)

Maiden's second album seems to be really popular everywhere except here, apparently. No one can deny that the cover is excellent, but the contents are apparently less than enthralling. Well, on the one hand, you've got some absolute classics - Ides, Wrathchild, Killers, Rue Morgue, and Genghis Khan - and then you've got some subpar stuff - pretty much everything else, especially Prodigal Son (still haven't figure out what the fuck that song is). Still, it's a definite improvement over the first album, and gave us some good songs despite being a mixed bag, so it's not worthless, just not up to the standard of what was to come.

276114.jpg

#8: The Final Frontier (2010)

Skipping ahead from Maiden's second album to their second-last album (as of now, hopefully we'll get more to come!), The Final Frontier nearly took the #7 spot. I was debating over whether it should, but some great tracks on the #7 album kept this one at #8. Still, this is a good album. It feels very futuristic (oh and Eddie looks holy shit far removed from Killers Ed). You've got a great reflective piece in the title track, El Dorado is a great adventure song (even if that's not what the lyrics intend), Isle of Avalon has a great buildup, The Talisman is a great sailing tune, and When The Wild Wind Blows is a sad ending to the album but a worthy one at the same token. The record overall isn't perfect, but the good outweighs the 'meh'. Very cool.

And now let's get through a bunch of SIT tracks all at once...

32. Caught Somewhere In Time
Somewhere In Time (1986)
When I first compiled this list together, this song was all the way up at 14! It's certainly slipped as I've gone through, but that's not to say it's a bad song. It's got some great vocals and a killer opening and riff, and it's one of those songs that will pop up in your head when you least except it. Great way to open the album.

31. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Somewhere In Time (1986)
So this song is apparently an interesting one within the fanbase - some think it's one of Maiden's greatest underrated songs, while others find it a good song but not the most special in the book. I find myself sticking more with the first opinion. TLOTLDR is a gem in Maiden's discography - not of their all-time bests (I ranked it at 31 for Christ's sake!) but certainly one that could get a little more attention than it's received.

30. Deja Vu
Somewhere In Time (1986)
Another drastic fall, when I first put the list together it was #11! Wow, tastes really can change. My first listen of this song was unimpressive - Bruce's voice in the verses was just really weird. Upon further listens the song really grew on me to the point where now I'd say I love it. I wouldn't say it's the catchiest song in their discography, but I would say it's one of them. Great chorus.

29. Heaven Can Wait
Somewhere In Time (1986)
And wrapping up this update is another SIT track. This one is weird because it's not the most popular song they've ever made, and yet it's something of a concert staple and popular amongst the more hardcore fans - unless those fans are Maidenfans, in which case it's overrated. I don't see that. I love the chorus, the verses, the 'take my hand', the 'oh oh oh's, and of course, that BUMUMUMUMUMUMUM opening / ending. Way to get stuck in your head.

And now let's get through a bunch of SIT tracks all at once...

32. Caught Somewhere In Time
Somewhere In Time (1986)
When I first compiled this list together, this song was all the way up at 14! It's certainly slipped as I've gone through, but that's not to say it's a bad song. It's got some great vocals and a killer opening and riff, and it's one of those songs that will pop up in your head when you least except it. Great way to open the album.

31. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Somewhere In Time (1986)
So this song is apparently an interesting one within the fanbase - some think it's one of Maiden's greatest underrated songs, while others find it a good song but not the most special in the book. I find myself sticking more with the first opinion. TLOTLDR is a gem in Maiden's discography - not of their all-time bests (I ranked it at 31 for Christ's sake!) but certainly one that could get a little more attention than it's received.

30. Deja Vu
Somewhere In Time (1986)
Another drastic fall, when I first put the list together it was #11! Wow, tastes really can change. My first listen of this song was unimpressive - Bruce's voice in the verses was just really weird. Upon further listens the song really grew on me to the point where now I'd say I love it. I wouldn't say it's the catchiest song in their discography, but I would say it's one of them. Great chorus.

29. Heaven Can Wait
Somewhere In Time (1986)
And wrapping up this update is another SIT track. This one is weird because it's not the most popular song they've ever made, and yet it's something of a concert staple and popular amongst the more hardcore fans - unless those fans are Maidenfans, in which case it's overrated. I don't see that. I love the chorus, the verses, the 'take my hand', the 'oh oh oh's, and of course, that BUMUMUMUMUMUMUM opening / ending. Way to get stuck in your head.

They should all be higher.

Transylvania is the worst instrumental? Well, then. If Ides is not paired up with Wrathchild, then I'm gonna be very surprised.
28. The Ides of March / Wrathchild
Killers (1981)
Okay, okay, you were right. BUT, I think I need to explain why I paired the two songs up. Ides was always going to be this high. I love the song. It's a bit short but an excellent opening to Killers. Wrathchild however would have been a bit lower had I not combined them, which I only did because I ran out of room to include other songs. Really though, the two songs are better as one. Ides kicks it off nicely, and when it comes to an end, that bass holy shit. One of metal's finest instrumental / song double-ups, alongside The Hellion / Electric Eye from Priest.

27. Sun and Steel
Piece of Mind (1983)
This is one of Maiden's most underrated songs. It may be a bit short, but it's still a killer. Firstly, that chorus is amazing. The verses are a little weak but not that much at the same time. The solo is great. I can't really say much about it other than I'm surprised people dislike it so much. I think it's one of Maiden's finest.

26. Genghis Khan
Killers (1981)
And with that, all of Maiden's instrumentals have made this list. Boy oh boy do I love this song. Despite having no lyrics whatsoever, it's somehow one of the catchiest songs in the band's discography. I'll be doing something and all of a sudden this song will start to play in my head, or I'll start humming it without realizing it, etc. It's a great song. One of the finest in their discography and deserves more recognition.

Also I'd like to take this time to tell you that I fucked up. Somehow or other I left Futureal off this list. I don't know how and I don't know why. It would have been a little lower, in the 30s, but still, I hate myself for not including it and don't know how I skipped it over. Whoops.

Agree on TLOTLDR. That song is incredible about painting a picture and setting an an atmosphere. I don't really go straight to it much when listening to Maiden but whenever I do I always come away impressed. I absolutely love SiT but never have understood why Heaven Can Wait is one of the 2 songs they actually play in concert. It's ok but one of my least favorites from the album. Deja Vu would be my least favorite from the whole album. Actually probably HCW and DV would be 7 and 8 for me on that album.

PoM is another top 3 Maiden album for me but Sun and Steel may be one of my least favs from that album as well. Agree that Ides/Wrathchild should always go together just like Hellion/Electric Eye. They just are not the same apart.

25. Where Eagles Dare
Piece of Mind (1983)
We've hit the Top 25! Wow! Amazing, ain't it? At #25, the opener to Piece of Mind - Where Eagles Dare. OMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD ~Me every time those drums start. Nicko is a god here. The song also has one of Bruce's best vocal performances ("Where eagles DAAAAAAAAAARRREEE!!!!") and it's classic Maiden for a reason. The instrumental's a tad long, but who cares, really? Great song.

24. Juanita
Stranger In A Strange Land B-side (1986)
That's it, folks. There's only one B-side better than this one. Juanita and I seem to have a weird relationship - some days I love her, some days I don't. It, I mean. It's a song, not a woman! Or is it? Huh, I don't know. ANYWAYS, yeah, I'm wondering if I didn't place this one too high, but then again, great song overall. Love the riff. Yeah I'm keeping it here. Coolio.

23. The Trooper
Piece of Mind (1983)
This one I'm almost thinking is too low, but whatever, it's still pretty high. The Trooper is one of Maiden's 4 Songs Everyone Knows, alongside Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Number of the Beast, and Run to the Hills. It's the first of the four to make it, and spoilers, the rest are here too! Of course there's that riff, certainly one of Maiden's best, but the "OoooohhhhhOOOOOHHHHoooohhhhhOOOOOOHHHHohOHohhhhhh" that serves as the song's chorus is also classic. And of course the solo. No wonder it's such a popular song!

22. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Fear of the Dark (1992)
Bruce or Blaze? That is the question. Well, for me, no matter which version you prefer, both would fit snuggly at #22 on my list. I lean towards Blaze since it's the first version I heard, but Bruce is mighty fine as well. Anyways, I love this song! I do! The opening is emotional, it's a soldier about to go fight wondering if it's really worth it, then the riff kicks in as he goes out to fight and then BAM! thrown smack-dab into the battlefield as it gets heavier and the solo starts, ultimately slowing down again for an emotional ending. Are you crying? I know I am.

And because we just had two Piece of Mind tracks...

Iron-Maiden-Piece-Of-Mind.jpg

#7: Piece of Mind (1983)

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is the epitome of an album whose standout tracks are phenomenal, and yet it still falls short. Piece of Mind falls short for four reasons - Revelations, Die With Your Boots On, Quest For Fire, and To Tame A Land. The problem with Revelations and TTAL is that they're both good songs, just don't feel very Maiden-y. DWYBO has one of the best openings in the band's discography, yet everything afterwords is only so-so. And of course the campy, cheesy QFF, you know why it's disliked. More of a guilty pleasure but nothing I go out of my way to listen to. The rest of the album, though, is superb. Where Eagles Dare is an excellent opener, Flight of Icarus is a great four minute number, The Trooper is, well, The Trooper, Still Life is OH MY GOD WOW, and Sun and Steel has one of the best choruses in Maiden's discography. The album isn't bad, but it's not perfect at the same time. After this though, we'll finally leave behind the 'good' albums and head towards the 'great' ones.

35. Tailgunner

I always loved this song. Best on NPftD by far, I think. I have no problems with the ranking.

Back