Buckethead

< Previous Review
Pike 230 - Rooftop: A little too noodly for me. Some nice ideas but overall there’s too much soloing and not enough riffs or composed melodies. The title track has a cool creepy vibe, but again too repetitive.
Yeh, have to agree. Hexagon starts off with this really cool sinister riff & you think if the song builds on this then this is going to be pretty good. But three minutes in & it turns into a different kind of tune; or rather a tune we've heard many times before. The soloing starts & it's quite upbeat; the mood from earlier has been lost. It's pretty much melodic soloing from here to the finish. There's nothing that really grabs you here & in the end the track feels like a bit of a let-down. Also far too long with little development going on. Decent, but didn't build on its early promise (4*). Rooftop, again, starts off very promising; very broody. The sparse early soloing works quite well here; nice subdued drumming too; and some elements of this work quite well. Ten minutes in & the pace picks up, which at least stops the track really dragging. Decent (4*) & probably the better of the two tracks. Overall a pretty disappointing Pike though. I'm tempted to rate both of them perhaps lower but in isolation they're decent if too long.
Pike 231 - Drift: Great Pike. I’m really digging the four song Pike format lately. With these Pikes each song is vastly different and all are usually worth hearing. Some great melodic work in the title track, exactly what the previous Pike was missing.
Fastpass is glorious; moody, with some sweet, sweet soloing. Another of Buckethead's mesmerising tracks (5*). Drift starts with an instantly catchy melodic riff; reminds me of some of his early career rockier stuff. The lead work really sings to you. The soloing is measured & well-worked; maintaining the feel & structure of the earlier part of the song. I love that change at ~5:30. What a track! (5*). Tentaclon is totally different. Big majestic opening riff. Really slow & brooding. This went straight into my "Gloom" playlist. This is how simple he should have kept the early promise of the two tracks on the previous Pike, Rooftop. Love the feel & mood of this one (5*). Streamlet is, again, totally different. Doesn't even have the same tone as anything previously. Not quite The Cellar Yawns heavy (Pike #154), but this is bang slap in the Buckethead heavy-melodic category. Actually, some really fine melodic riffing going on in this one. The soloing that kicks in at ~3:20 is fucking fantastic; amazing feel really following that chugging rhythm guitar. Awesome track (5*). Stunning Pike overall with, as you say, great variety.
Pike 232 - Lightboard: More noodling. Again, some nice ideas but nothing that would make me return to this Pike. Just Buckethead going through the motions.
What to make of a track like Lightboard? It's too long, that's for sure. It's got some of that munchy guitar tone again, some de-tuned stuff going on, some buzz/noise stuff too. Early on, it's all over the place really. I can totally listen to stuff like this (good in the car) but there's basically about ten song ideas in here; and as you say, nothing much, in a memorable sense, to make you want to return to this. For me, the soloing that kicks in around the seven minute mark is really the only thing keeping this track faintly interesting. It's just too long & messy (3*). Second track, Tales, has a groovy wee beginning but threatens to descend into mindless tap-shredding pretty early. The little fills & interludes and the bouncy rhythm & bass work keep this reasonably interesting though. Strange mid-late change, sort of turns into a totally different track for the last two minutes. Decent (4*). Deep Within The Sea starts off all discordy with some low fretwork shredding stuff. The pace of this kind of keeps it going too. Lots of slap stuff too, which I find cool. Like the opening track this is all over the place. I don't mind this kind of thing over four minutes (4*). Overall, lots of ideas kicking around on this Pike. There's nothing awful here, it's just another of those "why did he need to release this?" Pikes.
Pike 233 - 22222222: Ugh. More noodles. The first tune has some really good moments but the second is just a total mess. Lots of guitar noises and noodling over a weak groove. I appreciate the dedication and effort put into this project but I can’t help but wonder what he gets out of doing stuff like this. There’s nothing in here that sounds particularly inspired even though it’s clear Buckethead is capable of so much more. I’d rather see him take a week off or something and come back with something really special rather than a string of Pikes that make me question why I’m listening to him in the first place.
Got to agree. Just like Rooftops I'm quite undecided at how to rate these tracks in isolation. Overall, like Rooftops, this Pike is just so unmemorable. I look at those two long tracks (a format that was repeated around this time a little too often for me) and think what was this again? 22222222 is chugging along here & it's okay; there's quite a lot of solid melodic riff work going on. Don't know if it's the production or what (just the Pikes at the stage maybe?); just something really uninspired (as you say) feeling. Unlike you, I kind of think his soloing rescues some of these tracks though; five minutes in on this one. Again, the length is a real problem on both of these tracks. Still, I find 22222222 decent enough (4*). The main munchy riff of 11111111 is fine, but that soloing + bass thing going on is kind of odd. Maybe okay for a few fills but not enough to build a long track on (3*). Crap Pike overall.
Pike 234 - Coupon: Finally something interesting. Love the sinister diminished syncopated riffing in the opening track. There’s a little bit of noodling, but the unique style of the track makes up for it. Lots of cool riffs and melodies. Also some interesting guitar effects. The title track is mindblowing. Love that solid 6/8 rhythm and the atmosphere created with the synths. It’s heavy and intense, but also very soulful and melodic. Now this is a great example of what Buckethead is truly capable. The guitar just sings.
Unlike you I was feeling quite worn out by the two long-track format by this stage of my listening. I like lots of elements of both of these tracks, but there's something off-putting about this format. Anyway, Nail in the Clock is good. Like the gloomy feel to it. As you say, some quite interesting things going on here. Not quite up there with other gloom tracks, but it made the "Gloom" playlist (4*). Coupon I like. I want to really like it, but it's maybe a bit meandering late on. I think I would like it more if it were slightly shorter. Basically anything where Buckethead combines synth & guitar is quality and the atmosphere & mood on this doesn't disappoint. Btw, he played a cut down version of this live as an opener to the tour that immediately followed this release. Nice track (5*).
Pike 235 - Oneirc Pool: The first album since Buckethead took a hiatus to tour. Been a while since we had a multi-part piece in a Pike. These are usually good, and Oneirc Pool doesn’t disappoint. This is good stuff. Some good riffing and cool melodic parts. Also some nice dynamic moments. It’s still a little too stripped down for my tastes, but the playing is good and there seems to be more direction to the music than in some of the more noodly Pikes. Great build up at the end too.
Yeh, maybe the production/tone of this one isn't to everyone's taste, but it doesn't really affect the fact that the songwriting is quality. Another one of these effortless, flowing Pikes where everything just seems totally perfect in terms of pacing, note-choice, etc. Just flat-out a great piece of music from start to finish (all track 5*).
Pike 236 - Castle On Slunk Hill: Another multipart suite, similar to Oneirc Pool. Very offputting production on this. It sounds kinda muffled. Musically it’s interesting though. Love the jumps between heavy riffing and dark jazzy arpeggios. Once I got used to the production, I found myself enjoying the music on here. The music on here is a little more abstract, but I can appreciate Buckethead in that mode if done right. I like when his music gets chaotic and unpredictable. The riffing in Corridor 4 is awesome. Corridor 6 has some really creepy ambience going on.
Yip, the production is kind of odd. I quite like it; kind of crunchy & muffily at the same time. Musically, this is one of these ones that is all over the place but is actually really enjoyable to listen to. Effective combination of riffing & quiet dark passages. Drumming is also really good. I also appear to have listened to this Pike an incredible amount of times for one so recent. Corridor 2 (I've played this 20 times, WTF!) in isolation kind of sums up the album for me. The riffing at 3:50 is absolutely brutal; love this track (5*). And Corridor 6 is just so cool; dig this kind of ambient spooky stuff (5*). All the other individual tracks are totally solid (all 4*). Very enjoyable Pike.
Pike 237 - The Five Blocks: Another multipart piece. This one starts with a really cool atmospheric buildup. It’s a promising start. Lots of melodic goodness on this Pike. Another keeper.
Yeh, like Oneirc Pool this is just flat-out awesome from start to finish. A little more atmospheric than Oneirc Pool; don't know what one I prefer as both are fantastic. This whole Pike is just incredible; absolutely flawless stuff (all tracks 5*).
Pike 238 - Attic Garden: Nice creepy dissonance to start off yet another multipart suite. Lots of great twists and turns and some pretty sinister riffing. Love the sharp shifts from heavy and chaotic to calm. This is an example of manic Buckethead done right. Also a lot more guitar overdubs than what you usually get at once. Love how the guitars switch between playing against each other and complementing each other. It’s like a musical battle. Some really intricate parts here. The ambient stuff toward the end is also very cool. Nice to seem him integrating that with his regular work.
Couldn't agree more with you when you say "...sharp shifts from heavy and chaotic to calm". This is an example of manic Buckethead done right." This is exactly what this is. On this release he combines a lot of elements & themes that he rarely manages to combine effectively and actually makes them work here. This took quite a few listens to really, really get into it; but I now appreciate this one quite a lot. Can't say any individual track is anything particularly amazing (hard to pick one out as outstanding or even representative), but overall this is a really good effort in this direction. As you say, a lot more work went into this with overdubs & the like. Also, for a Pike with no synth work the atmosphere holds up pretty well. Very enjoyable & interesting stuff (all tracks 4*).
Pike 239 - The Mermaid Stairwell: Going back to the four song format. These are usually good and contain lots of variety. Love the lyrical guitar tone in the opening track. Dancing Sparkles is more of the funky blues style, nothing too special but luckily not that long. The melodic guitar playing returns in Fairy Boat. Great song. Love his tone on this Pike. Silver Upon the Ocean is more of that funky stuff. Slightly disappointing, but again it’s short so not too bad. Overall 2 out of 4 songs are definitely worth hearing and the other 2 are decent enough to recommend this Pike.
It feels like we haven't had anything this stripped down feeling for a while now. The Mermaid Stairwell is lovely, lovely stuff. Has this kind of squawky lead tone; really controlled & played to perfection. A heavenly twelve minutes that doesn't drag in the slightest (5*). Dancing Sparkles is Bucky groove. Not heard this for a while either. Anything new here? Nup. Still digging it though (4*). Fairy Boat comes in big. Another incredibly strong melodic lead line here; a song that just has something to say. Love it (5*). More Bucky groove with Silver Upon the Ocean. Again, nothing new here at all (4*). Not sure how either of these more funky tracks really fit here, but it doesn't affect the listening pleasure for me personally. Great Pike.
This decade started off really bad and then picked up after his tour break. Probably not a coincidence. Although I will also say that none of these recommended Pikes come close to some of what he was doing toward the end of 2015. We'll see if it picks up, but so far 2016 is fairly underwhelming.
Yeh, pretty disappointing first half of decade besides Drift (Pike 231) & Coupon (the track). I think the second half of the decade is a real treat though. Lots of variety & some real keepers there. I dunno about underwhelming, 2016 has had some real highlights for me personally. Lots of crap too though.

Next Review >

Last edited:
< Previous Review
New Pike: Operator Q Bozo. Wasn't expecting anymore Pikes until the new release. How many will come out before I finish this project?
Yeh, kind of annoying he did this. Was hoping we had total Pike release silence until the release of Buckethead 5 13 10 31.
Pike 240 - Chart: Awesome melodic riffing to start this off. Some tasteful amount of heaviness sprinkled in to. The synth work is very subtle, but it adds the right amount of texture. Just a great well balanced opener. Things mellow out considerably with Granite Track. This is a cool tune with a spacey vibe. Nice buildups too. Glowing Gate has a cool sinister start to it. A really evil sounding dynamic tune. Great stuff.
Chart is a great track. Really pacey; heavy but melodic. In fact, some really heavy stuff late on. And as you say, some lovely brooding synth work around the five minute work. You almost don't notice it, but I really like that (5*). Middle track, Granite Track, slows it down. This track is moody, subdued; but epic at the same time. Nice programmed drum work too. Epic build-up at around the four minute mark. This is a great track (5*). Glowing Gate continues the really thoughtful guitar work here. Again, the drumming is really good. All of these sound really well worked on. Has this scything sound-effect thing going on early on which is quite effective. A lot of really abrasive, jarring guitar work on this one; but in a really good way. Very effective track (5*). This whole Pike is fantastic.
Pike 241 - Sparks In the Dark: Love the acoustic guitar work in the opening title track. There’s a Latin flavor to this tune but it has been twisted in a way only Buckethead is capable of. It’s relaxing but also very sinister sounding. Very reminiscent of some of the stuff on Colma. The Pond of Peace is much less intense. Much more mellow and ethereal sounding. Garden At Twilight is much more uplifting with the bright 12 String guitar tone. It almost has a folksy feel to it. Short but very enjoyable. Would like to hear more from him in that mode. A Long Days Walk has some really cool tribal percussion sounds. Very strong closer. Buckethead knocked it out of the park with this one. Top 20 Pike.
Sparks in the Dark has a really lovely feel to it, doesn't it? That dampened riff-work at the start is cool as fuck too. The lead guitar that comes in really complements the rest. Never heard anyone else write anything like this. This track is incredible (5*). Second track, Pond of Peace, is as laid-back as I can remember Buckethead in quite a while. "Peace" really is very appropriate here. Stunning (5*). Do you reckon Garden of Twilight is a twelve string? It certainly sounds like one, but I wasn't sure as Buckethead is so very six-string. Wish this was longer & more developed (4*). A Long Days Walk is just another fantastic track. The big drum beat (not trying to sound like a drummer) is very reminiscent of Colma's programmed beats. Like it that he returns to this when it suits. The Pikes drum sound is a bit stale sometimes. Either way, lovely track (5*). The Pike is stunning.
Pike 242 - Hamden’s Hollow: Uh oh, a shreddy Pike. To be fair, it has been a pretty long time since he’s made one of these, while in 2015 it seemed like these were coming out constantly for awhile. On the positive side, there’s some interesting rhythmic stuff happening. It’s a multipart Pike so there’s hope that it’ll change to something more interesting eventually. It does seem to turn itself around fairly quickly, shifting to some more interesting riffing and rhythmic driven stuff. I like when Buckethead’s music has a chaotic edge, as long as it is not too shred dominated. This Pike kinda goes back and forth with that stuff. There will be some awesome rhythmic moments and then it shifts to less interesting shred. To be fair, the shred fits the music fairly well here. It’s OK, but about halfway through I start to lose interest. It just feels way too dragged out at that point. This is one of those Pikes that would be a lot of fun live, and there are some very cool ideas there, but a whole 30 minute album of this is just too much for me.

The acoustic stuff at the 7 and a half minute mark is insane btw. I definitely won’t complain about the occasional acoustic shred.
It's amazing how just a slight tweak can turn what would be a fairly boring uninspired shreddy filler Pike into something a little more interesting, isn't it? Like you, I put this on and thought this doesn't sound very promising. Sometimes it can just be production, sometimes just slightly more dynamic drumming; it doesn't take much. I agree with you that this is better than the boring three-chord + shred &/or bass + shred format that he's pretty much exhausted. This also has some really bizarre totally acoustic bits thrown in. As you say, "acoustic shred". Pretty cool. Like Attic Garden (Pike #238) this is really one big track, so while totally solid, there's not one single track that really jumps out at you or is particularly representative. A good Pike; enjoyable listen without being spectacular (all tracks 4*).
Pike 243 - Santa’s Toy Workshop: I dig the lego cover. The electronic intro is interesting. The samples are fun, if fairly cheap. It’s at least something different. The music isn’t that noteworthy, too shreddy and the riffing isn’t anything new for Buckethead. Assembly Line of Monsters and Robots: Homage to an earlier album? It definitely seems to have that electronic vibe, but with guitar. Some interesting noises but overall doesn’t really go anywhere. The acoustic sound is really interesting on Winds Through Antlers. So much stronger than the previous two tracks, too bad it’s so short. Love that Flamenco sounding stuff. Blitzen Goes Berzerk is an awesome slab of riff. Santa’s 20 Minutes Away is another fairly boring piece masked with strange sound effects. Same with the following track. Lots of noodling and shredding.

Yea, these Christmas Pikes do seem to be fairly underwhelming. The sound effects and samples in this were fun and kinda reminded me of Giant Robot and Bucketheadland, so that was nice. But overall it seems like he could do something more interesting for a special release.
This is probably the worst Christmas release that I can recall; none of them have been particularly memorable tho'. He should have done this for free or something like he's done in the past. Roudy Elves in the Workshop is actually pretty funny. Real samples? (Think people speculated some of it might be his kids.) The riffing might have been quite a decent track on another release (3*). Assembly Line of Monsters and Robots is next up coming in at ten minutes; basically the bulk of the Pike. Not entirely sure what to make of this. It's fast, shreddy, and has loads of silly sound-effects. There's actually some fairly decent little bits & pieces buried away on this track. Somewhere (3*). Winds Through Antlers has a great, unique tone going on. Nothing like the other nonsense; this is an actual viable, serious track. This went straight on the "Twang" playlist (4*). Blitzen Goes Berzerk threatens to go back to the nonsense, but is (as you say) actually a decent track. Has some fairly bizarre moments but is quite an enjoyable listen (4*). Santa’s 20 Minutes Away is back to the nonsense; just Bucky thrashing around with some sound-effects (3*). Wrapped Mega Monsters Under the Tree actually starts quite promising before descending into mindless sound-effect nonsense (3*). And we finish with Reindeer Rampage. There's some slap guitar stuff going on here which is fairly entertaining. Is this almost another viable track? Maybe (4*). I'm sure this Pike wasn't meant to be taken even faintly seriously, but it's total nonsense (aside from Antlers) nonetheless. Also strangely heavy for Christmas in a way which makes no sense.
2016 was a meh year. I suppose he was focused on the tour, but while the Pikes that came after the tour were a step up, there still wasn’t a lot of greatness in there. Some really great moments, but overall pretty underwhelming for the most part. Sparks In the Dark is fantastic though and probably the highlight of the year.
Again, dunno. Taking 2015, if we're comparing; it has some really, really "difficult" releases for me. Lots of them were pretty hard going; and there really were lots of them. I think 2016 had less of that to be honest; although you only have 24 releases to choose from. Plus, the 2016 highs were superb. Just feels like business as usual to be honest. The Pikes have always see-sawed between mediocre & awesome and everything in-between. They're the model of inconsistency.

Next Review >

Last edited:
< Previous Review

God, how did I get so far behind reviewing your reviews? :p
Pike 244 - Out Orbit: Collage Pike? This was all over the place. In a good way. Some cool riffs and chaotic moments. I actually thought the least interesting moment was the fairly normal sounding closer, Assortments. Some really good leads though. The rest was a fun listen. Probably would be more exciting live.
Tone is reminiscent of Castle on Slunk Hill (Pike #236) to begin with. But then, on Invisible Railroad, this massive big reverb de-tuned passage comes in (which is cool as fuck), followed by this massive anthemic lead section, then back to the thrashy stuff. All in the first minute! The rest of the track is even more all over the place & totally nuts. I love this four minutes of madness (5*). To Infinity and Beyond is a great track (5*) with some fairly bizarre sound-effects that possibly don't really fit (very Pike #23 Telescape-like). Craig Sager obviously meant a lot to Buckethead! ::) The title track, Out Orbit, starts all muddy ("turgid" in fact) & at first I thought I really wasn't going to like this; especially as it comes in at nearly fifteen minutes. This track is a real mash-up & after a few listens I really started to enjoy this one. Lots of interesting well though-out sections (4*). Yeh, have to agree; Assortments is almost the odd one out here & is sort of plain in comparison to the other tracks. Still totally solid though (4*). Interesting Pike.
Pike 245 - Space Viking: Awesome melodic mellow Pike. I really dug the energy in Litten Well in particular, but the whole album was good. I’m finding myself enjoying his shorter songs more lately, it seems most of his creativity goes into those.
Another dedication track; but this time it's to Bernie. Bernie Worrell & Buckethead played & wrote a lot together, so I think this dedication (aside from the track itself) is totally heartfelt. Loosing Bernie probably hurt quite a lot. In respect to the track, it's lovely. All acoustic & paired down. Possibly a little on the long side but I assume he basically wanted a whole Pike to say this. Very nice track with great mood (5*). Litten Well is a great little track. Basically plugged-in acoustic with some great groovy little passages. So short it doesn't really need to go anywhere. Excellent stuff (5*). Ever closes the Pike; another short one due to the long opener. The usual atmospheric synth work opens this one. Another track with a real reflective tone to it. Takes you to other places (5*). Overall, a great Pike.
Pike 246 - Nettle: Awesome, a Pike of shorter songs! Love the sheer brutality in the opening track. Praying mellows out a bit with some really great lyrical leads. Things get heavy again with Storms. Great riffing there. I like the way Barren is set up. Part 1 is all riffs and melodies, part 2 is a ripping solo. Nice balance. Open Ancient is a nice short blast of heaviness. Love the twin guitar that starts off Leaving Shell. Almost Maiden-esque. But then it goes back to Buckethead’s usual craziness. Good stuff though. Great Pike, more like this would be nice.
Nettle bowls in pretty heavy. Has some great little riff sections going on and is a totally solid track (4*). Still not sure if I'm entirely in love with this guitar tone generally though. Praying is totally different. Lovely opening guitar tone; lead phrasing also feels quite different to normal Buckethead here. Feels quite fresh/new with that repetition of the melody; great augmented version of the melody to the end too. I really like this track (5*). Storms is back to the heavy. To be honest, quite a lot of these tracks, while good, are quite samey sounding. If you randomly played me this I'd probably have no clue what year it was from never mind what Pike. Fair thunders along though (4*). Looking at the track lengths and names the Barren tracks seem like the main feature on this Pike. Barren part 1 starts very unusually; that riff is oddly lonely with those little underdeveloped trills on top of only the bass. Quite strange. Part 1 definitely stands on it's own two feet (4*), but part 2 is where it really steps up with some tasty soloing with the lead tone on the cleaner side (5*). Probably 5* if he'd just made it one track. Part 2 is too long though. Open Ancient is back to the heaviness. Again, a little too similar to the other heavy tracks on here. It's really that tone I think. Decent (4*). Leaving Shells doesn't really feel, again, that much different to the other heavy tracks on here. Lots going on & interesting enough (4*), but nothing really truly memorable. Solid release overall with Praying is the stand-out track for me personally.
Pike 247 - Rivers In the Sea: The opening title track is awesome. Great melodic lyrical guitar playing. Bucket doing what he does best. The Roles of Uncertainty continues the mellow vibe, but adds some more upbeat rhythmic stuff. Love the lush sound of Other Portals. Some nice lead work there too. Seven Planes has a much darker vibe. Slightly heavy but with a lot of restraint. Good Pike.
Rivers in the Seas is a fantastic track. Lovely clean guitar work with the usual wistful lead tone & phrasing (5*). The Roles of Uncertainty begins & is really new sounding; nice tone. Lovely synth work ghosting around in the background on here too. Sort of swings from quite downbeat to more uplifting. Nice contrast (5*). Other Portals & Buckethead is trying something totally new here in respect to his synth work. We're over a minute in here & there's no sign of a guitar part. He needs to develop this side of his compositions. Love the beats on this one; very reminiscent of the drums & guitar tone of some of my early Pikes favourites like Sunbursts (Pike #8), Melting Man (Pike #7), etc. Those bends! This is really good stuff (5*). Final track, Seven Planes, again opens quite unusually. Strange combination of guitar slides & ghostly synth work. Then this quite clean guitar tone & heavier section is introduced. Great track (5*). Seems to be really mixing things up a bit on this Pike. Not an exciting listen, very calm & reflective; but I feel there was some new stuff on here I hadn't really heard from him before. Interesting stuff.
Pike 248 - Adrift In Sleepwakefulness: Love the vibe in Dreaming Frequency. Great bass and drum stuff and of course some fantastic leads. This tune ends way too soon. Fortunately, it’s followed by something even better and more melodic with Empty Scroll. Love the way this builds into a heavier sound. Salvage the Fragments is reminiscient of the electronic tinged stuff Buckethead was doing in the middle of 2015. Good tune. More great leads and I really dig the rhythmic stuff. Lots of really strong rhythm tracks on this album in general. Stare Into Trance has a much more uplifting vibe. The electronics continue and work just as well in this song. The closing title track continues the great melodic work. Good Pike, but many of the songs felt too short, almost incomplete. I would’ve cut two songs and built on the remaining four. Although I’m not sure what I’d cut, as they’re all high quality.
Opening track Half See has quite a groove going for it, then changes to this more expansive open section before returning to the groove again. Pace really picks up later on too. Nice stuff (5*). Dreaming Frequencies is glorious. Strange chiming subtly permeates the opening section and then this magical synth work creeps in. Lead line is beautifully lyrical. Love the beats on this too (5*). Empty Scroll is a lot more upbeat than the first two tracks. Big ringing open chord work here, but still melodically on the money. Has some nice heavy moments (5*). Salvage the Fragment is dripping with attitude with those big beats. Again, very reminiscent of some of the early Sunburst-like tracks. Big beats with some real screaming lead guitar bends going on. Love this Buckethead mood (5*). Stare into Trance is super uplifting, but still has that tinge of Buckethead melancholy. This track feels great to listen to (5*). The final track, Adrift in Sleepwakefulness, brings us back round again to something more dreamy & reflective. Still very uplifting, this one (5*). I agree some of the tracks could perhaps have been developed a little more. Still, the criticism is usually the other way around. This Pike feels pretty special. Everything on it is stellar.
Pike 249 - The Moss Lands: Buckethead going for the shorter songs again on this. Things are getting heavy again with the opening title track. Great riffing here. This Pike is not without its mellower moments. Antique Wall has some really nice acoustic chordal stuff. Love the brutal riffs in City of Lutes. Groves has some more melodic riffing going on. Things start to lose steam toward the end with some shreddy tracks. It does end on a high note with Ribbons. Great high energy riffing. There's more shredding, but it fits a little bit better in this track. Another solid Pike, but once again most of the songs feel half baked. Is Buckethead releasing his unfinished ideas?
Yeh, lots of shorter tracks on this one. I'll keep individual comments brief here. Opener, The Moss Lands, is the usual melodic Buckethead rhythm work. I quite like him in this mode. Solid (4*). Crescent Moon has some pretty heavy shred stuff that the first track didn't go anywhere near; a few right-hand harmonics from Bucky too, unusual for him. Another solid track (4*). Third track, Antique Wall, opens in far more gentle fashion. Again, some really new sounding stuff going on in some of these more stripped back/clean moments. Not without its heavy moments too (5*). City of Lutes fair clatters along (4*). Groves is indeed more melodic (4*). Sunless Stream is the longest track on this Pike at just under five minutes & is possibly the pick of the bunch. Solo that comes in at ~1:30 is awesome; first short standalone solo I can think of in quite a while that wasn't minutes of worked soloing. I like that groovy little end riff. Not sure if it's particularly representative of the Pike generally, but I quite like this track (5*). Faint Clicking has upbeat groove-rock riffing & brief soloing. Good stuff (4*). Vague visions opens with a pretty messy tone & jumps around a little too much between shredding & chopped up rhythm work for my liking (4*). Final track, Ribbons, doesn't feel much of a departure from the rest of this Pike in being solid without being spectacular. Shredding probably does work a little better on this particular track (4*). Pretty average Pike overall. Nothing truly memorable to speak of.
2017 is off to a decent start. While I enjoyed all the Pikes so far, overall nothing truly amazing has come yet.
Thought some of this was quite new sounding; certainly in respect to some of the synth work. Some of that sounded more lush & developed sounding than usual.

Next Review >

Last edited:
Pike 266 - Far: Great start to this one. Love the acoustic/clean guitars with the space-y synth sounds. Love when the distorted guitars kick in and he's playing acoustic leads over the heavy riffing. That's such a cool combo. This Pike is basically one big buildup. It climaxes in the middle and then slowly comes back down. Love that stuff. The leads at in the final part are explosive and awesome. A little long, but still enjoyable.

It's interesting listening to these Pikes by themselves and not through binging because I'm judging this on its own merits and not really comparing it to anything else. I will say though that this is probably the best Pike of the year so far. One Pike a month has definitely helped relax the creative juices.

Yeh, I listened to the preview track; very nice. I'm sure I'll dig all of this, but won't buy it (or listen to it on YouTube) until one of the sales.

I'll finish my review-of-reviews (the #250's and #260's) at some point over the next few months.

I've still got my Pike summary and top 25 coming up.

Hehe. Yeah indeed. On the brink of the 42nd. Better start it a little earlier to be sure every millisecond is shot good enough into the system.
(post #24,000, although I remember we had some number fuck-up a while back)

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've been getting into Buckethead lately. A few months back, Cried linked me two Pikes that I liked a good bit, can't remember what they were though. Anyway, I came across a live version of Soothsayer recently on YouTube randomly and thought 'what the hell I'll check this out'. It blew me away and I went to Spotify to check out more of his work. I'm working through some of the Pikes on there and I love it all so far. The super dark heavy/fuzzy sound of Pikes like 79 - Geppetos Trunk is right up my alley, great stuff.

Hey guys, I've been getting into Buckethead lately. A few months back, Cried linked me two Pikes that I liked a good bit, can't remember what they were though. Anyway, I came across a live version of Soothsayer recently on YouTube randomly and thought 'what the hell I'll check this out'. It blew me away and I went to Spotify to check out more of his work. I'm working through some of the Pikes on there and I love it all so far. The super dark heavy/fuzzy sound of Pikes like 79 - Geppetos Trunk is right up my alley, great stuff.
Well, that's pretty cool. It's funny to hear you say you like stuff Geppetos Trunk; not the most obvious go-to Pike for Bucketfans. Just goes to show what a big mixture the Pikes really is. Something for everyone.

My signature has been changed to reflect this new group! :ok:

Last edited:
That's going to be tough. :( Aspen is a 3 hour drive and I have school/work on weekdays.

Ah, that sucks. Have you seen recent Buckethead activity though? Constant vinyl re-release announcements (of most of the mid-2000's Monti produced albums); variously including "re-recordings" of classic tracks (nobody seems to knows why); exclusive one-off cassette recordings; exclusive one-off live DVD recordings (serious, WTF); albums being renamed ("album formerly known as"); the new Bucketheadland album (but only on vinyl release); Bootsy saying he's making an album with Bucket; and now it looks like he's back on the road around the new album launch in the autumn. Mental.

Back