Official Hockey discussion thread

Yeah, I think so too .. he played well for the Hawks the past 2 years and stepped up when he had to start stretches of games. It is nice to see, the guy earned his stripes, understood his role with the Hawks and did it well, now he gets the chance and $ that goes with it. Really the way it should be.

Mike Smith to Calgary!!! Hopefully this stabalizes their goaltending. Chad Johnson was a Bruins top prospect, it will be exciting to see how he blossoms in Arizona. Some of these lists are interesting and rather telling. Some clubs, like Boston, choosing to proctect aging, over the hill vets like Chara, and other´s like Arizona expose Doan. I feel the Bruins don´t really know how to handle the transition they´re experiencing.

Yeah, I'm not sure about Mike Smith to Calgary. A 35 year old goalie shouldn't be a stabilizing force for any team unless his name is, say, Martin Brodeur.

Some decent news on the Cap

---------------------------------------------
The salary cap will rise by $2 million for the 2017-18 season to an upper limit of $75 million, the NHL and its players' union announced Sunday.

The lower limit is set at $55.4 million, while the adjusted midpoint is $65.2 million, according to the joint announcement.

The expansion Vegas Golden Knights must spend at least to the salary floor in their first season.

The cap upper limit was $73 million last season. In 2015-16 it was $71.4 million, while it was $69 million for the 2014-15 season

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...se-75m-2017-18

Mike Smith to Calgary!!! Hopefully this stabalizes their goaltending. Chad Johnson was a Bruins top prospect, it will be exciting to see how he blossoms in Arizona. Some of these lists are interesting and rather telling. Some clubs, like Boston, choosing to proctect aging, over the hill vets like Chara, and other´s like Arizona expose Doan. I feel the Bruins don´t really know how to handle the transition they´re experiencing.

True. But I´m thinking Calgary is feeling ambitious. Sure Smith is 35 and not in the league of Brodeur or even Lunqvist, but... he should be fine another couple of seasons. I´m more curious for Druin in MTL.

As for the Cap, that is nice... I´m sure that allows several teams to keep some high priced players.

I think Smith will do fine in Calgary until Gillies is ready. He has done well in the playoffs, both with the Lightning in 2011 and the Coyotes in 2012 and I'm quite sure he still has some more to give, as he wasn't a starting goaltender until 6 years ago. Considering the fact that they received a 25 % discount on his cap hit, I think it was decent trade.

One of Smith's best games, game 4 of the 2011 Eastern Conference finals. He comes in during the final minutes of the first period replacing Roloson, with the Lightning being down 3-0 - and they end up winning the game!

Last edited:
This sucks . hope he is okay

Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa will not play in the NHL next season, saying in a statement that he has been receiving treatment for a skin disorder.

"Over the course of the last few years, under the supervision of the Blackhawks medical staff, I have been privately undergoing treatment for a progressive skin disorder and the side effects of the medications involved to treat the disorder," Hossa said Wednesday morning. "Due to the severe side effects associated with those medications, playing hockey is not possible for me during the upcoming 2017-18 season. While I am disappointed that I will not be able to play, I have to consider the severity of my condition and how the treatments have impacted my life both on and off the ice."

Hossa, 38, thanked the Blackhawks for their support and said he would not comment further on his health.

"His teammates and coaches know he battled through some very tough physical difficulties but never complained or missed games despite the challenges he faced," Bowman said in a statement. "The organization will continue to provide him every resource he needs to maintain his health."

Dr. Michael Terry, the Blackhawks' team physician, said the team strongly supports Hossa's decision not to play and called it the appropriate approach to "keep him functional and healthy in the short term and throughout his life."

He has a no movement clause ... so they had no choice, the only good thing is it sounds like he is not officially retiring, so he can go on LTIR and free up the cap space

the Chicago Blackhawks today acquired forward Brandon Saad, goaltender Anton Forsberg and a fifth-round draft pick in 2018 from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for forwards Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte and Chicago's sixth round (170th overall) draft pick in 2017. Saad returns to the Blackhawks where he was a two-time Stanley Cup winner with Chicago, winning in 2013 and 2015.

The Blackhawks traded defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson to the Coyotes in exchange for defensemen Connor Murphy and Laurent Dauphin on Friday.

Busy day

NYR sent Derek Stepan and their backup to Phoenix for a 1st round pick. Salary dump (Stefan makes 6.5 million for 50 points a year).

Flames are not offering Chiasson a qualifing offer which leaves a spot for UFA Jarome Iginla on the fourth line...

I don't think he wants to return or that they want to sign him, but if it happened, he could still be useful on the powerplay with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Last edited:
What an odd world we live in. Thornton and Jagr are hitting free agency and they are considered "top players." Doan is also scrounging for work, Iginla..... etc. These guys need to land on contenders to at least have a SHOT at the cup. If I was 40 something I wouldn't want to play with a group that has no chance in hell just because they want my experience and leadership. I'm sure it was nice for Jagr to lead his team in points as a 40 year old, but I think it's sad.

I'm sure it was nice for Jagr to lead his team in points as a 40 year old, but I think it's sad.
Don't forget that they won their division and ended up with 103 points in 2015/2016, that was quite nice to see. It didn't work out in the playoffs for them though.

And I don't think it's sad that he played on the Panthers the past two seasons, because he has already has won the Stanley Cup twice. He doesn't need to chase it and play on the third or fourth line on a true contender.

What an odd world we live in. Thornton and Jagr are hitting free agency and they are considered "top players." Doan is also scrounging for work, Iginla..... etc. These guys need to land on contenders to at least have a SHOT at the cup. If I was 40 something I wouldn't want to play with a group that has no chance in hell just because they want my experience and leadership. I'm sure it was nice for Jagr to lead his team in points as a 40 year old, but I think it's sad.
Jagr chipped in 50 points last year. That's value for what he was making, let alone for his experience. I'd put him on my team anyday. as for the others...Thornton might be able to contribute 40 points this year. Maybe. Iggy, he has character, but he's really not that great anymore. Pains me to say it, because I love him, but there you go.

Hey, are you actually *back* now, or are you just making an appearance before you disappear again?

Don't forget that they won their division and ended up with 103 points in 2015/2016, that was quite nice to see. It didn't work out in the playoffs for them though.

And I don't think it's sad that he played on the Panthers the past two seasons, because he has already has won the Stanley Cup twice. He doesn't need to chase it and play on the third or fourth line on a true contender.

I don't think him playing with the panthers was sad. I actually thought he was a great fit. I thought it was sad he led them in points having such budding talent. Of course he's won the cup, but the point is to win it again. There is a reason he didn't return to pittsburgh when he came back from Russia. He didn't want to take the easy way out, he wanted to earn his next cup on his own terms.

I'm not saying 40 year olds can't contribute, Look at Matt Cullen, Mark Recchi, Bourque, Chelios, etc. Plenty have played well well into their 40s, but it is still rare, I mentioned legends and all-stars. I'll be very interested as to where Jagr ends up, not so much for Thornton and I agree with LC, Iginla.... He should sign with Calgary, play 8 minutes a night and retire as a Flame.

Hey, are you actually *back* now, or are you just making an appearance before you disappear again?

I'm trying to come around more often.

Anyway, Mcdavid is the highest salary cap era paid player after agreeing to an 8 years $100M extension.

Back