What or who got you into Iron Maiden?

Not actually Bulgarian, but fate brought me to Sofia.

Говорите бре српски, да вас цео свет разуме.

Saw the video for Run To the Hills about 1983 on MTV and I was IMMEDIATELY hooked. Went out and bought vinyls of IM, Killers, TNOTB, & POM. Wanted to get into the first two lp's, but had a hard time understanding Paul. Then a songbook released of the first four LP's (which had Eddie as the Trooper on the cover). That is how I obtained the lyrics and was able to really get into those first two LPs. Songbook also had a cool interview with Steve where he went track by track and gave lead guitar credits for most songs.

I became a huge fan in 1991, the period in between No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark (two albums I bought today on vinyl). You could say I'm a rare species on this forum. Most people here became a fan since the "reunion era", since the "golden years", or since the "Blaze years".

I am from the often neglected, and IMO also often underestimated early nineties period, when Grunge started to take over.

It all started after having heard a recorded cassette of the debut album during a Scouting camp. I have never been so addicted to new music after hearing this stuff in my walkman. I was completely in another world. The two tracks which totally triggered me were Prowler and Transylvania. The tape was from a nice bloke who told me I should have a listen, I might like it. The other side had Kiss on it. Liked that as well! You could say I literally got into both bands on the same day, but Maiden hit me harder.

After getting hooked, I bought the Live After Death LP-set (2nd hand of course), plus the Sanctuary 12" vinyl single, which I chose because Prowler was the b-side on it. Perhaps I bought the single before LAD, or even both at the same time, can't remember :--/

After LAD I bought two videos: 12 Wasted Years and The First Ten Years.

First bought studio albums (also in 1991): Two at the same time: Somewhere in Time & Piece of Mind. I just HAD to buy SIT, because I was totally mesmerized by the fragment of Caught Somewhere in Time that I knew from 12 Wasted Years.

Before I bought my first studio albums, I already knew Killers, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (which I both borrowed from a classmate) and the before mentioned debut album.

After this, all went very fast and I purchased all Maiden albums before I witnessed Iron Maiden for the first time ever in concert, 2 September 1992. It was my first concert experience. From that gig, Can I Play With Madness landed on A Real Live One (again neglected -together with other live albums from the nineties- in the current Vinyl series)!

Back