Official Football Thread

I want Arsenal to win the FA Cup as the perfect send-off for Arsene Wenger. That and scraping into fourth on the final day of the season.

After cooling down, I still can't understand what referee Oliver was thinking yesterday.

First: I get that he noticed Hazard had been fouled a lot. But I think it is wrong to give a player his second booking for a very minor challenge just because his team-mates have had worse challenges against the same player before.

Second: For the remainder of the game, both teams got away with a series of fouls that were all much worse than both offenses Herrera was booked for. Valencia with the ugliest example for United (a two-footed challenge towards the end of the game), Costa with his usual antics (at the time when he was finally booked, he had already collected enough fouls, dives and general cuntishness to deserve to be off). Herrera must feel terribly hard done by. It seems he has a reputation as a dirty player and gets punished for that, but then again, why isn't Costa?

Anyway. With the FA Cup gone, United can now focus on trying to win the EL and stay in the race for top four. That race is going to be close, there's still a number of games to be played between the teams in question. Hope Liverpool continue their trend of beating their top 4 rivals (since United are done playing them this season) and losing to bottom half teams.

Leicester City are in the Champions LEague quarter final. It is still possible that they win the CL and get relegated in the same season (although one is extremely unlikely and the other also starting to look unlikely).

But can't they please drop these abominations?

I hope Monaco manage to keep their squad together. They're so much fun to watch and their core players are all under 23. I wouldn't bet on it though.

French National Team doesn't have space for Lacazette and Benzema, whereas England just recalled Jermain Defoe and called up Jake Livermore.

Didn't have space for Nabil Fekir, Anthony Martial and Kingsley Coman either.

France is absolutely loaded. They're producing world class talent after world class talent, I expect them to dominate very soon.

Martial is injured, but yeah. Also Coman has been super shit this season. only played 614 minutes in the entire season so far.

Martial is injured, but yeah. Also Coman has been super shit this season. only played 614 minutes in the entire season so far.

To be fair to him, it's really hard to build momentum being almost exclusively used as a sub. Robben and Ribery are getting old, he's probably gonna replace one of them in the rotation.

Great bit of nationalistic fun for Turkish football fans today, Beşiktaş destroyed Olympiacos and their fans sang the Izmir Anthem altogether, which talks about defeating the Greeks in Izmir to end the Turkish War of Independence. :p

Thrylos can't say they didn't deserve it though, they posted a Greek flag and a "Great victory for all Greeks, for Greece that knows how to win" after they beat another Turkish team the previous round.

Club Atlético de Madrid vs. Leicester City
Battle of the 4-4-fucking-2. Both teams play counterattacking football, but Atletico is way better at parking the bus. Should be interesting.

Borussia Dortmund vs. AS Monaco FC
Battle of the youth. Both teams have incredibly talented players but have erratic defence. Can see these 2 matches having a lot of goals.

FC Bayern Munich vs. Real Madrid CF
Outcome of this matchup will depend on who has less injured players. I hope Bayern goes through as a fuck you from Carlo to Real, but Real are comeback kings this season... Can't predict what's gonna happen.

Juventus F.C. vs. FC Barcelona
Battle of the penalty/red card kings. Referees of these 2 matches will come out rich as fuck, it will be a tough battle between the clubs in buying them. One thing is certain: there will be penalties and there will be red cards and diving. I give slight advantage to Juve 'cause Uefalona cashed out a lot of ref money against PSG.

Back