NOW WATCHING

Plowing through Law and Order while working .. up to Season 8 of 19 ... at this pace will be done in a month

Last season of Bates Motel is off to a good start

LOVE Bates Motel!

Me too .. the first season and one of the story lines in season 2 were so-so .. but seasons 3 and 4 have been fantastic. The kid they have playing Norman is perfect for the role. I was not sure they could pull it off, but they made a good show out of it

It's come so, so far from the atmosphere of that first Alien though. It's now just another huge franchise battling it out for viewing figures with the others. Why does Scott feel so compelled to keep making more of these? To me it just looks like another dull action/horror film with nothing new to say.

... the direction was all slow pans and long close ups on the interior. Now it's overfamiliar, we've seen it so many times before.
You've seen good directing too many times? Sorry, but this is exactly what modern horror/action films totally lack; decent directing. They have zero atmosphere, no restraint, cinematography is flaps, etc. This, and not the alien itself, are what made the movie better than just another SF flick.
Ridley Scott feels that 3 and 4, plus the two Alien Predator movies, have spoiled his classic first movie, so he wants to revisit the franchise to correct those mistakes I think. To do it how it should be done.
But he's not making anything like the first movie. All he's doing is focusing on all the nerdy SF elements which, in my opinion, are ultimately totally unimportant. The xenomorph(s) (the egg discovery scene, etc) in the first movie inspired awe. Scott is now showing me mouthfucking aliens, huge cartwheeling spacecraft, boring stock characters, caesarean sections by robots, Mike from Neighbors all old like, and more aliens than I give a fuck about. None of this is important and yet he's filling these films with this crap. This latest effort doesn't look like it's going to be any different...

Just saw Get Out. Fucking fantastic movie, creepy, funny, one of the scarier movies I've seen in years. If you like good horror, go see it.

Yesterday I saw the third Department Q movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4088268/

First two: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2438644 and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3140100

They are based on Jussi Adler Olsen's (writer from Denmark) detective/crime novels. I don't think the movies are breaking any new ground, but the cases are very interesting and unpredictable (although at first they seem predictable :p). It's kind of a cliche that the main characters are an asshole cop who lost his previous partner and a new optimistic guy, but again, it just works. Carl Mørck is the asshole cop and the guy who plays him is just incredible, especially in the 3rd movie near the end when he completely loses his shit. All 3 movies are great but the 2nd one is (so far) the best, then the 3rd and 1st. There are 7 books written in the series already (1o planned), and the plan is to adapt 10 books over time (4th movie will be released next year). I think all 3 are on US Netflix, so check them out :)

I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time today. I know, I know, but you name a classic movie (or any movie at all) and chances are I haven't seen it. And that's the exact reason I went out of my way to watch it.

Kong Skull Island is worth the hype. Felt more like the pace and intensity of the 1st & 3rd Jurassic park films. Good prequel to Godzilla. John C Reilly is good comic relief but he is also our island history and tour guide. Really liked Brie as well (looking forward to seeing her as Captain Marvel)

Be sure to stay for the post credit scene. Helps set up the next film in the series.

Wonder what becomes of Brie & Tom's characters later. Since KSU takes place in the 1970's, they would be in their 70's by the time the next 2 films take place.

Interesting to read that the Samuel Jackson role originally was cast to JK Simmons and John C Reilly role was cast to Michael Keaton but both dropped out due to schedule conflicts. Both would have been great in those roles but I have no complaints about Samuel & John's performances

Last edited:
Robin of Sherwood. Classic 80s cheesy faux medieval. Absolute magic. I was hooked on this show about a decade ago.

I watched Imperium starring Daniel Radcliffe. He stars as an young FBI analyst specializing in translation who is sent undercover in a white power group to discover if they are behind the theft of radioactive materials. During his plunge into the racist American subculture, he finds himself relating to his marks in ways he never expected.

Really interesting thriller. Very odd to watch Harry Potter tossing out racial epithets. 4/5, watch it on Netflix some night.

Watched Assassin's Creed with friends but we didn't have enough time to finish it and probably never will. It made me angry at how bad it is. I loved the 3 games I played. They took everything good from these games and made it as minor as fucking possible. Modern world scenes dragged, story was way too complicated and they spent way too much time and money on CGI scenes in the present. Also Marion Cottilard was so bad. I think there are only 3 sections of the movie set in the past and as the final insult, the fighting scenes from the past are interspered with Fassbender fighting the air in that new Animus. So fucking bad. Why the fuck would you do that????? Character progression? LOL! Cinematography? So much dust and sand everywhere, looked really really bland.

Back