DREAM THEATER SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Well, from what the polls are showing...Metropolis is gonna win, LTL to be in second and ACOS in third. Of course, this might not happen but at least that's my current prediction.

SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Top 10
Octavarium
05. The Glass Prison
06. Blind Faith
07. Home
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Trial Of Tears
10. Stream Of Consciousness

This farcing top 3 is about the farciest inane excuse for a farcing farce I've ever farced in, for farce's sake. You should have also pulled Space Dye West somewhere up there.

Voting against LTL which has the least votes of all. :facepalm:

"Learning to Live": while I find it great overall (possibly the song with the best lyrics), I don't like the keyboard sound at the beginning on the studio version and I find that the edited version from OIAL is better than the original one, which says it could have been trimmed off a little to begin with.

Same producer though, David Prater, who Mike Portnoy has been very critical of since. I can understand the disdain for the drums on I&W but Seasons sounds really good. I love all the cool keyboard sounds Derek brought to the band. Adds a totally new dimension to the music.

IMO Dream Theater's production didn't become great until after Awake, reaching a peak with Scenes and Six Degrees.
On Images, the drums stand out too much while the rest is kinda quiet. Then again, Petrucci's lead sound is pretty damn good.
Seasons has a more pleasant drum sound but the guitars sound thinner and more scooped.

The three are strong songs, top 10 contenders all of them but none of those would I put in my top 3.

Like I said, I made some kind of peace with ACOS, loving certain parts, being seriously bored with others, but I accept that while it is overrated, it has some merit and I don't particularily mind the fact it's in the top 3. I still love Jordan, but Derek should have stayed with the band longer.

However, combined with that abhorrent abomination of Learning to Carouselambra 2 and the overplayed cliché of Met (though I still like that one somewhat), this is indeed a sickening sight.

IMO Dream Theater's production was never great. Six Degrees might be the closest thing they've had to an album with great production, but everything they've ever done has at least one noticeable flaw.

Apart from Images & Words, none of their albums have the perfect production, but they never had an outright bad production either. Even their worst produced releases are still good. Compare that to Metallica whose best produced album is "tolerable" IMO.

Yea I can probably agree with that. SC is way too loud but I can at least turn the volume down. Can't fix the distortion on Death Magnetic.

Systematic Chaos was pretty bad production-wise. They went for a raw heavy sound but it turned out quite amateur, ToT was much better in that regard.

I think the mix on SC is actually really good. It's a tad flat but you can hear the instruments very clearly. Just lacks punch, but that's partly because the lack of dynamics suck the life out of the music.

SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Top 10
Metropolis, Part 1 - The Miracle & The Sleeper
04. Octavarium
05. The Glass Prison
06. Blind Faith
07. Home
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Trial Of Tears
10. Stream Of Consciousness

A Change Of Seasons. Great song, but has a lot of parts that could be trimmed. Learning To Live isn't perfect either (that damn fade out) but it's way more consistent.

Back