Dream Theater

Gettin back Portnoy... that's a tricky question. First of all, I don't think any side really wants that - Portnoy's too deep in his own ego and like you guys mentioned above, Trucci probably doesn't look too kindly on the option of sharing the reins. It might also be seen as a kind of a retreat. They'd be hooked on Portnoy (and his whims) forever, because they'd be admitting to their fans "we can't do it without him". That's probably the biggest concern for them right now.

Second (third?) of all, JLB and JMX wouldn't like that decision. Especially LaBrie with that "I would have had chosen a different singer" and all that.

The band absolutely does not want that. Portnoy wants that. He says so everyday in every interview that he orchestrates himself.

Hard to see JLB and MP sharing a stage again, but if Axl and Slash can do it I suppose a DT reunion is possible too.

"brocals"

What an excellent term to describe them!

I still think Jordan's most stellar moments would probably be on SDOIT)

I agree. Glass Prison was the first balls-to-the-wall heavy/aggressive song the band did, and his synth actually fit the track. Blind Faith speaks for itself, as it's some of Jordan's best work. He really brought Great Debate to life with the effects, since such patches actually fit the topic of the song. His atmospheric playing on Misunderstood and Disappear also added to the tracks. I don't care much for the title track but he was fitting there, too.

I wouldn't flip over Derek returning. But not Moore. Rather a bloody diarrhea than Moore (since he's still mostly not on talking terms with the band anyway, IIRC, that's kind of a moot point now).

I'd take both of them in a second over Rudess. They both know how to play with feeling, and I can count on one hand the times Jordan has done so. I just feel very little emotion in that man's style.

JLB and JMX wouldn't like that decision. Especially LaBrie with that "I would have had chosen a different singer" and all that.

Did Portnoy say that at some point? I have no love for LaBrie, but that's just ignorant. I must have missed it...

I don't believe DT will ever be that fantastic band they once were again, for various reasons.

I hold both Dramatic Turn and DT12 in very high regard -- the best efforts the band has done since Train of Thought and both stronger (or on par with) Six Degrees in my book. If their next album isn't a cheesy overblown Broadway play written by only 40% the band and more in the direction of the first two Mangini albums, I'd say they're on the right track.

Then again, I kinda want to hear them go really heavy and aggressive again. I don't know if LaBrie is the singer for it, but I loved Train of Thought.

I'd take both of them in a second over Rudess. They both know how to play with feeling, and I can count on one hand the times Jordan has done so. I just feel very little emotion in that man's style.

Disagreeing here. There's plenty of emotion in Jordan, best examples would be the already mentioned SDOIT and ?, but also The Astonishing - he's very present there and if anything, that album is way too emotional. Jordan likes his piano and his cheesy, sappy ballads, don't doubt about that. Also, sometimes he hides the plain ol' bluesy feelings with distortion and electricity - check his solo on Shattered Fortress from around 5:32 on. He sounds very much like a keyboard Blackmore there to me. Also, Octavarium (the album as a whole) might have its share of problems, but it's very accessible, very emotional and have beautiful stuff done by Jordan, from the intro to the title track (though I see how some might hate it), the solos therein (no comment), the subtle piano work on Answer Lies Within, the arcade game on Root (5:24 onwards), the beautiful atmospherics embellishments and fills in Panic Attack (beautiful contrast to the overall heaviness of the track) and the astounding unison on Never Enough.

In fact, his unisons with Trucci might just as well be one of the most important reasons I listen to DT. I kid you not.

Did Portnoy say that at some point? I have no love for LaBrie, but that's just ignorant. I must have missed it...

It's been a long time and I can't find any official link now anyway, but it was during the time of brocals and various other efforts to "heavify" the DT sound... he mentioned several times over something along the lines that he doesn't like the sound/style of JLB anymore, although he agreed he was connected to the DT sound... I don't remember whether he explicitely said or merely implied he would not have chosen LaBrie as a singer if he had the chance to go back, but I believe that was one of the reasons he and JLB have been on the outs since then. If anyone can clarify, I'd be glad.

Then again, I kinda want to hear them go really heavy and aggressive again. I don't know if LaBrie is the singer for it, but I loved Train of Thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next album is more on the heavy side.

I would absolutely love them being heavier again, but I don't really see it. Since Jordan likes softer music himself and Petrucci being only borderline metalhead and without Portnoy I don't think that's realistic at the moment, but I may be mistaken.

Im pretty sure a full heavy album (Train of Thought) was Petrucci's idea. He is a metalhead just as much as Portnoy is.

Let's say he used to be then. Is he still? The musical progression since Portnoy left makes me wonder, but maybe it's just me. ADOIT, love it as I may, was their most "light" album in years, DT12 was mostly about moments/songs here and there (Enemy Inside, Behind the Veil, parts of Illumination Theory) and TA was mostly metal-less (maybe intended, but still...) Don't get me wrong, I love all three albums myself, but there's something missing, IMHO. Maybe it's not Portnoy, but I am skeptical, at least now.

MP knew about Metallica before any of the other guys because he was part of the tape trading scene. He introduced JP and JM to MOP when it was still new. Doesn't mean JP is less of a Metal fan. Remember JP and JM jammed on Iron Maiden primarily before meeting MP.
Let's say he used to be then. Is he still? The musical progression since Portnoy left makes me wonder, but maybe it's just me. ADOIT, love it as I may, was their most "light" album in years, DT12 was mostly about moments/songs here and there (Enemy Inside, Behind the Veil, parts of Illumination Theory) and TA was mostly metal-less (maybe intended, but still...) Don't get me wrong, I love all three albums myself, but there's something missing, IMHO. Maybe it's not Portnoy, but I am skeptical, at least now.
I think ADTOE was lighter because they were trying to go back to the 90s sound where the prog and metal were a little more balanced. It still had heavy moments though. I do think having Portnoy gone means less heavy DT but that's more because the only other creative force in the band now is JR and he isn't a metal guy. But I also think the next year or two is going to be damage control for DT and they're going to at least attempt a heavier album.

BTW I said it before, but I hear JP's influence on SC far more than Portnoy and that is one of their heaviest albums.

The owner of DTF says that the opener for the I&W tour is something he would never expect as a show opener. This guy is definitely legit. Any thoughts?

They are also talking about hints of ACOS being played by Mangini on twitter, but I can't find anything and I'm too lazy to read through the thread to find it.
I really need to start watching this thread more. This is where I get all my DT news. But I decided to take a look. I think he pretty much confirmed that the opener would be A Change of Seasons though I still have a few pages to read. Any west coast date and I'm in!

I don't think so. He said that the opener is a song that the current lineup has played before and has been played recently. Unless he's counting when they played one part of ACOS, but then that negates the part where he said they've never opened with it because they used to open with the first two parts of ACOS. Either way, I'm thinking ACOS will probably be played. Would be crazy if they did the 1993 version that was written for I&W. Don't expect anything out of the box like that from current DT though.

My prediction for the opener is Trial of Tears. Hell's Kitchen may or may not be an intro tape. Illumination Theory preceded by FAS is another possibility. It's supposedly an unorthodox opener. FII is also celebrating its 20th anniversary and JP said they were aware of that.

Hmm I must have missed something then. But I sure hope they are playing it in full. That would be the most amazing thing ever! Now that I've read a bit more though, I think it's probably Illumination Theory, possibly Breaking All Illusions. What's also exciting is that he said they'd play one of the songs from DT12 that hasn't been touched yet, either Surrender to Reason or The Bigger Picture. Two of the best songs!

I think it'll be Surrender To Reason. But The Bigger Picture would make a really good first set closer.

I'd be happy with either. I think the set could look something like this

1. Illumination Theory
2. New Millenium
3. Peruvian Skies
4. The Bigger Picture
5. Caught in a Web
6. The Gift of Music
7. Our New World
8. Breaking All Illusions
--
9. Pull me Under
10. Another Day