The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Blaze was propably invited by Steve to come this gig and now he made a guest appereance with Disturbed - interesting!
13435416_10153523105215685_5236877510415398119_n.jpg

I've seen about 5 other performances of it and they've all sounded great to me.
It was played perfectly on all shows since Mexico City. Today in Donnington they were doing pretty well until Red and the blaaaack... chorus. I think Jan miscounted how many times Bruce sang that and played the next guitar melody part. The other band looked confused. Dave, Nicko, Steve and Bruce carried on with the chorus while H tried to cover this up with a solo.

Well tonight's gig at Donington was out of this world. After three days of non stop rain, it was a relief to get to Maiden's set at the end of the weekend. But what an absolute belter of a night.

I don't really know what to say other than all the guys were on top form! And they all looked like they thoroughly enjoyed it, Bruce especially, who was particularly more chatty than he was at Knebworth 2014.

Oh and guys, Bruce himself has confirmed that WE'RE GETTING A UK TOUR NEXT YEAR!!!

Here it is:

Yea bit of a mess up there. Still sounds good besides that one moment though.

Also, that wasn't a "coverup" by H, that's just how the song goes.

Download thoughts/experiences:

I'd say that for a first time experience I probably had quite a positive time, though this was countered by specific idiots trying to ruin the night for everyone else. I'd camped out main stage, center right since Monster Truck in the morning and had to deal with a group of meatheads during Disturbed trying to muscle their way to the front, but they left when Nightwish came on (thank God) and I was left in a group of mainly Maiden fans who were overwhelmingly positive. A very tall guy at the front, another couple, a guy in a bird hat who was sharing Maoam with everyone else there and a pair of siblings (European I think?) who shared their umbrella with me throughout "Downpour Festival" and meant that I made it back home without a roaring cold (so far).

Unfortunately, the Maiden set was not anywhere near as enjoyable as the Nightwish set (where people were just relaxed and having a great time) in terms of the people around me, as (having gotten a position with a near perfect view of the stage) I found myself getting constantly jostled, shoved to the side and effectively doing shoulder presses on the barrier to retain my position. Specific shout-outs go to the [censored] man in the Maiden England '13 T-Shirt who spent the entirety of the concert trying to push me out of the way during songs he didn't know the words to - I am so happy that you left disappointed that they didn't play your favourite songs, and wish you'd listened to Bruce's Blood Brothers speech even though you'd clearly never listened to the song itself - and the smarmy 16 year old whinging about their song choices. You two tried hard, but even you didn't manage to ruin the concert completely.

I'm glad I did this once, but I don't think I'll be attending a festival again. To get a half decent spot involves absurd amounts of standing/waiting (and is frankly exhausting and slightly miserable), only to have [censored] trying to muscle you out of your spot. It's not a good atmosphere (in fairness the majority of people were overwhelmingly human, but it only takes a couple of idiots) and I think I'd take a seated arena over it anytime, even if I don't ever get to the barrier again.

Seriously though, when I was in the Amon Amarth set things were much more civilised, something I never thought I'd say. Those guys created their localised mosh pits and walls of death but they were very respectful of people's space (and desire not to mosh). That set in general was a surprising highlight of the day.

Download thoughts/experiences:

I'd say that for a first time experience I probably had quite a positive time, though this was countered by specific idiots trying to ruin the night for everyone else. I'd camped out main stage, center right since Monster Truck in the morning and had to deal with a group of meatheads during Disturbed trying to muscle their way to the front, but they left when Nightwish came on (thank God) and I was left in a group of mainly Maiden fans who were overwhelmingly positive. A very tall guy at the front, another couple, a guy in a bird hat who was sharing Maoam with everyone else there and a pair of siblings (European I think?) who shared their umbrella with me throughout "Downpour Festival" and meant that I made it back home without a roaring cold (so far).

Unfortunately, the Maiden set was not anywhere near as enjoyable as the Nightwish set (where people were just relaxed and having a great time) in terms of the people around me, as (having gotten a position with a near perfect view of the stage) I found myself getting constantly jostled, shoved to the side and effectively doing shoulder presses on the barrier to retain my position. Specific shout-outs go to the [censored] man in the Maiden England '13 T-Shirt who spent the entirety of the concert trying to push me out of the way during songs he didn't know the words to - I am so happy that you left disappointed that they didn't play your favourite songs, and wish you'd listened to Bruce's Blood Brothers speech even though you'd clearly never listened to the song itself - and the smarmy 16 year old whinging about their song choices. You two tried hard, but even you didn't manage to ruin the concert completely.

I'm glad I did this once, but I don't think I'll be attending a festival again. To get a half decent spot involves absurd amounts of standing/waiting (and is frankly exhausting and slightly miserable), only to have [censored] trying to muscle you out of your spot. It's not a good atmosphere (in fairness the majority of people were overwhelmingly human, but it only takes a couple of idiots) and I think I'd take a seated arena over it anytime, even if I don't ever get to the barrier again.

Seriously though, when I was in the Amon Amarth set things were much more civilised, something I never thought I'd say. Those guys created their localised mosh pits and walls of death but they were very respectful of people's space (and desire not to mosh). That set in general was a surprising highlight of the day.
Reading your assessment of the whole experience of Download (added to what everyone says every other time) just makes me wonder why Maiden care about playing festivals generally; particularly playing Donington so many times. It's not for Maiden fans that's for sure.
Here it is:

Yea bit of a mess up there. Still sounds good besides that one moment though.

Also, that wasn't a "coverup" by H, that's just how the song goes.
Bruce shaking his head at Janick! :facepalm:
Oh and guys, Bruce himself has confirmed that WE'RE GETTING A UK TOUR NEXT YEAR!!!
Just confirmation of what we already knew...:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Jan miscounted how many times Bruce sang that and played the next guitar melody part. The other band looked confused. Dave, Nicko, Steve and Bruce carried on with the chorus while H tried to cover this up with a solo.
That's what happens with songs that are long-winded. Blame the writer and whoever chose this song in the setlist. And seriously, it would have made way more sense (and the song would have flowed better) the way Janick played it. These "The Red and the Black... lines" didn't need to happen three times. Two was enough, especially because the melody was already done many times before that part starts.

*Bruce shakes head at Janick, later looks him in the eyes, walks away, then decides it doesn't matter and goes to the toilet*

By the way, I like this recording sound a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep UK tour next year confirmed, Download was a Sea of Mudness. Saw EF1 at airport. Mostly very impressed with Maiden. Bruce singing great, Dave and Adrians solos sounded brilliant. A few sound problems - kept losing Bruce. Someone also screwed up in IESF instrumental, one guitarist I think, but it messed them all up. TOAC was unexpectedly good live, RATB seemed to go down well. Bruce did comment on the mud and rain of Download, and paid tribute to the victims of the shootings in Florida.

I'm happy I didn't make the travel. I seriously thought about it, mostly because I loved my London trip last year to see BL, but I relaize this is another world. I'm so happy to get confirmation of a british tour. Am I right in assuming that it menas an arena tour for all of us european fans ? If not, I will go to England and ask advise to our british comrades on the gig I should attend.

[/spoiler]

IN France, they were first planned the same day as Maiden, before changing for saturday. Big disapointment, as I appreciate some of their songs. I'd never thought Iwould like a death-metal band, but it's the case, and they introduced me to the whole thing.

I'm happy I didn't make the travel. I seriously thought about it, mostly because I loved my London trip last year to see BL, but I relaize this is another world. I'm so happy to get confirmation of a british tour. Am I right in assuming that it menas an arena tour for all of us european fans ? If not, I will go to England and ask advise to our british comrades on the gig I should attend.
UK dates are slated for February/March. As we've mentioned here before, it's rumoured that they're to play two Paris gigs in July 2017.

Back