Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
Interesting that Mikael chose to shoot the band photo for the Sorceress album in the same abbey ruin where Maiden shot a video for their album about magic powers.

Ok I caved and listened to it.

Give it some heavy production and growls and the verse riff could easily be on Deliverance. It's actually kind of irritating. For all the talk Mikael gives of just playing what they like, it does seem like they're going out of their way not to play metal because he doesn't want to be associated with it for some reason. I don't think the pseudo 70s style flatters that kind of riffing either.

That frustration aside, it is a cool tune.

The more I listen to this song, the more I love it. The intro is psychotic -- almost in a Primus sort of way. This is far catchier than anything on Heritage, and manages to be heavier, too. I'm not a huge fan of the chorus, but the verses are incredible. The outro, like most Opeth songs, comes out of left field.

Overall, this isn't too new of a sound, but I enjoy it. They've always been a mood band for me, and not one I can usually listen to year-round with the same sense of enjoyment. But this is dark, funky, bass-heavy, and twisted enough to have me excited for the album.

I checked out the single and I think it's pretty good. It's more rock than prog IMO, I like the main riff, very cool. I still miss the metal Opeth but I'm not holding it against the band.

The fact that we have two short tracks with relation to each other at the beginning and the end of the album really gives the impression that this is a concept album.

I like the song titles and lengths, Sorceress 2 is the only one that doesn't sit well with me. Sounds like a demo name.

I wonder if they followed through with it this time. Opeth seems to have the same problem as Maiden in that they set out to do something on the conceptual side and then at least one song has nothing to do with the concept.

I wonder if they followed through with it this time. Opeth seems to have the same problem as Maiden in that they set out to do something on the conceptual side and then at least one song has nothing to do with the concept.

Maybe that's for the better. On the other end of the line you get those rigid concept album where at east two songs are there only for the concept. :D I'm more into that "thematic" concept albums anyway - DSOTM, SDOIT, AMOLAD... (I don't differentiate, but some do)

It's with great pleasure that we can announce Opeth will be playing the famous Sydney Opera House on February 6th, 2017!
In addition, to celebrate the re-issues of Damnation & Deliverance and the Lamentations Vinyl earlier this year, the Sydney show will see the band play an opening set comprised of these two albums, followed by a second set where old and new tracks will be played. This special set list is also extended to the Radio City Music Hall show in New York on October 1st and to the The SSE Arena, Wembley show in London on November 19th.

This would be awesome to see, hope they bring this show somewhere closer :D

Back