Dream Theater

I haven't heard that album yet, but that lineup is making me wonder why I skipped it.

I don't want Portnoy back in Dream Theater. I think the best scenario is a mini reunion to play the 12 Step Suite (and possibly The Best of Times) and maybe do some Liquid Tension Experiment stuff again. I'd also love for MP to continue making Ytse Jam releases, as the ones he teased before leaving the band sounded awesome. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it actually sounds plausible. Portnoy says the lineup won't be known until show time, I can't think of any other lineup that would be worth getting this secretive about. Then again it could be a ploy to sell Cruise tickets.

Btw, worth mentioning that this is a cruise, not a normal concert. So if they did show up they'd have to stick around for the entire crew (and would probably be spotted on board pretty quickly). So that would make it logistically more difficult than just showing up for a concert on dry land.

I don't think it will happen, but I'm still holding out for a JR appearance. Maybe JP, he's the only one who can do those Glass Prison arpeggios. :D

I don't think it will happen, but I'm still holding out for a JR appearance. Maybe JP, he's the only one who can do those Glass Prison arpeggios. :D
Every time I try to play that I get so discouraged and I have to put down my guitar in anger.:D

You literally have to slow it down and take it two notes at a time to make sure the picking is totally accurate. It's a huge exercise in muscle memory.

Yeah I'm not that good yet. I'll just stick to the easier ones like Learning to Live and Home. (But that Home ending though...)

This was uploaded in 2013 (by Charlie Dominici) but it is the first time I have stumbled upon it, so in case some of you did not know of this. It is 50 minutes worth of demo recordings from 1987.

Very true. To be fair, Portnoy always pushes the tempo forcing him to hybrid pick. The tempo on the record is pretty much the fastest Petrucci can alternate pick apparently. If today's DT did it, it would be to a click of the original tempo and maybe come out better. Granted he recorded that song 15 years ago.

Is it even possible to alt-pick at such speeds? Not being a guitarist myself I remember reading somewhere that from a certain point, even the best players are forced to go sweep or hybrid or economic. But maybe it's just nonsense.

I mean, Petrucci must be able to do that, he merely does not want to. Am I right, Saap? :D

Back