Death Metal

Oh damn, a lot of those old posts were probably posted when drubl.. I seem to gravitate towards Death Metal when I'm wasted mostly :p

God Dethroned @ Rock Hard, 2015.

What a sound! And tight playing! Didn't know this drummer but he rules.

Hating Life
The Art Of Immolation
Through Byzantine Hemispheres
Nihilism
Boiling Blood
Swallow The Spikes
Soul Sweeper
No Man's Land
Soul Capture 1562
Villa Vampiria
Sigma Enigma
The Grand Grimoire
@Perun et al.

My favourite part, and I think the whole forum should listen to this beautiful piece of death metal, genre skepticists included:
CLICK

Last edited:
I am curious if you and everyone else could mention your 20 (can be less or more) favourite death metal records.

Missed this the first time around. I really don't like to rate and compare stuff. To me it's impossible to pick "best albums" because it changes all the time with mood and whatever I'm into. And ranking stuff in a list just does not do some albums justice. If you want though I can try and compile a list of albums that has stuck with me. Might not be the best DM albums but at least then they'll mean something to me :)

That would be more or less the same of what I ask. However differently we may view at the (sometimes subconscious) function of comparing: yes, I'd like that!

I am especially interested in someone's deeper focus, if that someone knows songs from thousands of albums (not just death, but any music).
This makes it more personal. Zooming in at shortlists tells more about someone's taste and for me (and others) it's easier to value talk about some band or album, and a response.

So thanks, I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Well what I mean is that some albums just stuck with you at times in your life and will always be great (to you) but perhaps they're really not that fantastic albums ;) Anyways, cool, I'll try but I won't be numbering them (impossible) I'll just post them here, randomly :)

OK.

I can post the first album pretty much straight away because it had such a big impact on me. I bought this album at a second hand CD store when I was about 13 or 14 years old - and It's one of the earliest DM albums I remember owning. I played it when I still lived at home on my parents stereo when they weren't home. Full volume.

It's a Danish group called Detest and it's their only full length release, Dorval, from 1994. I have no idea what happened to them after that and I'm sure not too many people know about this album. Anyways, it's a full on science fiction concept album and pretty good still if you ask me!

Nice! You started at an early age! I am now into the fourth song, and suddenly there's this welcome calm part. Followed by some doom! Defiled has some groovy riffing going on.
edit: heard the whole album. I like the addition of these interludes. That last bonus track is nice!

I looked it up and the band is active again! One member of the album is still in the line-up, this friendly looking fellow called John Petersen:
12369_artist.jpg

I was eighteen (almost nineteen) when I saw my first death metal concert and heard the first death metal album. That was in 1994 (the year of Dorval urged me to write a bit as well).

I'm afraid I have rambled several times about them, but here you go:

Gorefest - False
Their debut still had gore lyrics but this second album had nothing to with it anymore. I'd say the lyrics were more social critical, kinda like Napalm Death. Also, they got a new guitarist and drummer! The gig and the album made a huge impact. I'd like to post my favourite song from this album but I can't find it.
Here a few clips from that same summer:
Twelve years later I saw them again (twice), not long after they reunited (they split up for the first time in 1998).

One year later I saw Ed Warby at a drummer event where he played along to some songs from this album (and others). I forgot who recorded it (me or my wife), just like the previous, but here is a small clip:

Last edited:
Nice post @Forostar

Haha those crowd videos are golden :D 1994 was indeed a peak year for the genre in Europe. It topped pretty soon after that though, if not the same year..

I realized I don't listen to a lot of pure death metal bands. My list would be 10x bigger if we counted melodeath.

In no particular order, with best songs IMO:

Apart from slightly monotone vocals, quite awesome melodic death metal, with a big emphasis on the melodic. Reminds me of Hypocrisy a bit, just with weaker vocals.

@Forostar, you might like this :)

Thanks, also for the list! Will check!
:)
As far as I'm concerned, it's not necessary to remove melodic death metal bands (or death metal with melodic aspects ;) ).

I'm reading they don't follow a current trend. No they follow a nineties trend. :)

Certain parts remind me a lot of In Flames (except the vocals and the slower tempo parts (with lots of bass drum)). In an interview guitarist Lukas also mentions The Duskfall, a band that originated from Gates of Ishtar, one I also thought of when hearing some riffs.

Will certainly not forget them, but it needs a little more (perhaps fire) to make them as interesting (imo) as some of the other (older) Swedish Death metal names.

Last edited:
Back