MrKnickerbocker

clap hands
Figured it was about time this guy got his own.

Thomas Zwijsen, a brilliant classical guitarist, has been releasing covers of Maiden songs for years and just came out with a brand new double CD: http://www.thomaszwijsen.com/preserved_in_time.html

Its got appearances from Blaze, some solo Bruce covers, and tracks with a full band.

Tracklist:
Disc 1
01. If Eternity Should Fail
02. Stranger In A Strange Land
03. Judgement Of Heaven (with Blaze Bayley & Anne Bakker)
04. Ghost Of The Navigator
05. Powerslave (Thomas & band)
06. Burning Ambition
07. Tears Of The Dragon (Bruce Dickinson song)
08. Blood Brothers (with Blaze Bayley)
09. When The Wild Wind Blows (Thomas & band)
Disc 2
10. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
11. Como Estais Amigos (with Blaze Bayley & Anne Bakker)
12. Wrathchild
13. Tears Of A Clown
14. Jerusalem (Bruce Dickinson song)
15. For The Greater Good Of God
16. Reach Out
17. Fear Of The Dark
18. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (Thomas & band)

If you've never heard him, check it out. Here's Rime of the Ancient Mariner, complete with some nice scenery:

He's excellent. It's a real pleasure to listen to, he does beautiful reworkings of Maiden. I really liked his version of If Eternity Should Fail. I love the fact he does newer Maiden stuff.

Blood Brothers with Blaze will be very interesting to hear. He has stated that he recorded a demo version of it during the Virtual XI sessions, so I believe that's the reason why he agreed to do it.
I would like to know if Steve wrote all the lyrics by himself, or if Blaze had some input too, like on Dream of Mirrors.

"And one of those songs, and you are telling me there maybe even is a second song".
7:18

Last edited:
I've been listening to this guy's covers for a while now, they really are brilliant. He's a very talented individual.

I didn't realise that his new CD was out already though, time to give it a listen! Particularly looking forward to hearing the tracks on which he collaborated with Blaze.

He's excellent. It's a real pleasure to listen to, he does beautiful reworkings of Maiden. I really liked his version of If Eternity Should Fail. I love the fact he does newer Maiden stuff.

Absolutely! I was very excited to hear that he'd be doing IESF. Guy has a great love for all of their material.

Guy is an amazing arranger. Obviously a great player but that's the part that impresses me the most about him.

His arrangements have made me look at some Maiden songs in a whole new light. Very pumped to hear his versions of Como Estais Amigos, Judgment of Heaven, and (!) Reach Out (!).

Blood Brothers with Blaze will be very interesting to hear. He has stated that he recorded a demo version of it during the Virtual XI sessions, so I believe that's the reason why he agreed to do it.
I would like to know if Steve wrote all the lyrics by himself, or if Blaze had some input too, like on Dream of Mirrors.

Yeah, I'd love to hear those original BNW demos w/ Blaze. I can't imagine Steve not giving Blaze credit for lyrics or melodies, though, even if he didn't sing on the record.

I can't imagine Steve not giving Blaze credit for lyrics or melodies, though, even if he didn't sing on the record.
He wrote some parts because he stated in "At the End of the Day - The Story of Blaze Bayley band" by Lawrence Paterson that he was paid by the band.

Huh. So they paid him off to not give him credit? I guess that's alright if he accepted it, though I'm sure he would have made more money on royalties in the long run.

I wonder how Thomas is able to use all of these songs and collect payment? It's always seemed rather tricky to get licenses for cover songs, much less an entire set of songs by one artist.

I don't get that either. And it feels a little odd and easy to already make success with songs that are so recent such as IESF. Bruce himself plans to record a version of his own as well.

I like the use of drums, but that snare drum doesn't sound that authentic (like a computer). But surely an interesting performance!
Half an hour ago, my wife was trying to convince me that we should see Zwijzen on Sunday, with Blaze at some festival. I'll see if I can find yesterday's setlist.

EDIT: I can't find a setlist, but I understood that Blood Brothers was played!

Last edited:
I wasn't so keen on Powerslave. I actually thought it would be possible to do an acoustic cover of that without bass and drums. That's the most disappointing one for me, it sounds like watered down Maiden rather than a cover that really adds something.

Now that I heard Blood Brothers with Blaze, I am sure this song was written for (and maybe by) him. Sounds great!

Zwijsen and Blaze collaborate for some years now. Playing on each other's albums and doing gigs together. They seem good friends. I saw them doing acoustic stuff with the two of them and that was really nice. @Marbled in Stone indeed.
Very impressive playing as well.

Last edited:
Now that I heard Blood Brothers with Blaze, I am sure this song was written for (and maybe by) him. Sounds great!

Isn't that one downtuned? I do not think Steve would have (co-)written anything in other tuning than the standard one.

To stay on topic: very impressive guitar playing. Some covers work better than others, but most are pretty good.

Back