Language topic

apB9Wm5_460s_v1.jpg

@Night Prowler

Croati reporting the legitimacy. It's roughly the same standardized language with two dialects, and two scripts. What you see in picture is more suspectible to be Croatian language. If it was written in Cyrillic then it would be Serbian.

But here’s the rub—some of the weirdest languages in the world are ones you’ve heard of: German, Dutch, Norwegian, Czech, Spanish, and Mandarin. And actually English is #33 in the Language Weirdness Index.

I am not at all surprised that Czech is among the weirdest languages in the world - it is usually quite a mindf**k even for native Czechs. You sometimes have tens of pages only to find out whether the suffix is correct. You think the who/whom/whose distinction is tought? We have jenž/jež/již/jehož/jíž/jichž/jimž/jemuž/jejž/nějž/něž/němž/níž. (You dont believe? See https://cs.wiktionary.org/wiki/jenž ). We tend to "internalise" foreign names ("Venus Williams played against Serena Williams" becomes "Venus Williamsová hrála proti Sereně Williamsové" in the process). We have way of using various perfect tenses (so called "přechodníky"), but the use is so complicated even the academics have declared it mostly archaic, since pretty much no one is using it correctly (e. g. "to bake" is "upéct", or "upéci", if you wanna be old-school, "she will have the homework finished when she bakes the bread" would be "ona, upekouc chleba, bude již mít domácí úkoly hotové" - warning: this sentence alone will make Czechs look at you in a weird way, since it's so alienated from common speech most people will thing it's wrong and it's been out of common use for more than a hundred years, though it's still correct and still the only way how to directly express the aforementioned), trying to understand the way we use commas in sentences is just another way of medieval torture and overall just to write a letter in at least decent Czech is a task worth of Hercules. Imagine what being a lawyer does to you. I seriously have no idea how this insane set of rules has been invented and put into practice.

EDIT: as for the questions which languages do we speak - Czech, English, very partially German (I have to return to it later) and that's all for now, but currently me & my wife we're working on our French, then it's probably Italian for me, Finnish, Swedish and then the rest of my German (yet I know what die Derkehrsverbindungen are without consulting Google, so it's probably not that urgent :D ). I have a plan and I intend to do it all.

Last edited:
Mother tongue: Russian.. The most complicated language.
Non-mother tongues. Modern English, Modern French.

Mother tongue : Croatian, about the same level of complexity as Russian :)
Russian is the most poetic language.

How exactly does one measure the most-whatever guitarist?
Yet we all know it's H.

Indeed.
I might have used the wrong word; poetic. I meant pjevan which would roughly translate as singable. As in good (in terms of compatibility) for introduction of melody.

In my opinion, Slavic and Romance languages definitely have the trait.

Quick question Per. Arabic alphabet looks very complex in its approach to strokes, yet in electronic platforms, the writing is about the same size as Latin alphabet letters, thus rendering some of the strokes nearly invisible. Is this is a matter of redundancy, or is there another trick involved?

With the strokes, you mean the diacritics? It's something you get used to, if you understand the language, you know which diacritics to expect. And they're visible enough to see whether it's above or below the letter and whether it's one, two or three dots. It's really not that difficult once you get used to it.

Back