The Concert Thread

Amorphis - 1 April 2016, Novi Sad

Will probably have to take the trip alone to that city, but no big deal.

Nightwish in London next weekend, if travel arrangements go according to plan. I just sneaked a look at setlists and like the look of the Nightwish one. Amorphis' set is very short, but they are the first band on, followed by Arch Enemy. Never mind, some good stuff in there.

Neat. Any news on whether there'll be another Sounds of the Ages / Orchestra festival next year? Or is it too early?

I saw Nightwish at Wembley Arena on Saturday. That was my first time seeing Nightwish, and what a spectacular stage show. I don't believe I've seen anything quite like it before: video, pyros, swirling dry ice, lights on the stage and the audience - all done to amazing effect. Haven't checked on the times, but the set felt incredibly long. Floor's voice was a lot more impressive than I'd realised. They saved the real belters for later in the show. I wasn't as impressed by her rendition of Ever Dream, but by the end of the show her voice was incredible. And just how the hell tall is she?! I had I no idea she was so tall, she was towering over other members of the band.

As a special feature for the last night, Richard Dawkins, who narrates in two of the tracks on Endless Forms.... came on stage to give a reading at the end of The Greatest Show on Earth.

There was a downside to the night, sadly. I missed most of Amorphis. :( I caught only two of their songs. However, I've since discovered they're playing in Manchester on a Saturday night March, so I'll be going to that.

Arch Enemy were the other support act. Solid band, and Alissa White-Gluz is one hell of a performer, but sadly the music came across a bit meh.

Last edited:
Marco performed with Amorphis during this tour. E.g. here:

He produced four of their albums (the first four with their current singer). Didn't know that.

Apparently the Nightwish show at Wembley was recorded for a possible DVD. I hope so, it was an excellent performance.

Meanwhile, 2016 is shaping up quite well for me:
Sabaton and Alestorm, Manchester, February
Amorphis, Manchester, March
Maiden, Download, June
Maiden, Oslo, June

There are a couple of other gigs in Manchester and York I might try to get to as well.

Happy New Year! Third Eye Blind were great last night, a great way to ring in 2016!

And so, here is my 2016 concert calendar so far:

1/20: Queensryche

1/29: Breaking Benjamin acoustic

2/16: Sister Hazel

2/27: Led Zeppelin 2

My current concert schedule is as follows:

3rd February: Helloween, Kentish Town Forum (London)
12th February: Symphony X, The Robin (Wolverhampton)
19th February: Symphony X, Islington Assembly Hall (London)
8th March: Avantasia, Kentish Town Forum (London)
10th-12th June: Download Festival, Donington Park
15th June: Iron Maiden, Telenor Arena (Oslo)

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to Download or not as I have to arrange an important meeting around that time of year so taking two weeks off to go to Download and Norway might be a bit awkward. I'd like to push that meeting back as late as possible if I can. I'll probably be arranging the meeting in March so I'll wait until then before buying my ticket.

Besides Maiden, what band have you seen live the most often?

For me, Testament and Anthrax both tie at 10 times.

Back