Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Janick wouldn't have played that, simple as that. At least he wouldn't have played it like that.
Listen to the work that went into that WW lead; I find it way, way more interesting. Do you not think? Janick isn't hiding, it's lovely & clean. In my opinion it's a fine piece of writing. I think people have a chronic aversion to this song's content & Janick generally.
Some parts in the first half border to the annoying. Fast non-descriptive lines, which could have fit over any piece of music. At the end he finally does something that fits (in my ears!) better to the music.
What?! You're kidding man? :eek:
In the Mercenary Adrian does some unusual fast stuff, with (for him) some fast runs with unexpected pauses (longer notes), and he ends well!
Adrian can't play fast for shit. That's why it's unclean sounding & garbled with effects.
Btw. I usually have no idea who played which solo (despite spending hours on cutting solos, I just didn't pay attention or try to remember all that info :p) so my votes are quite unbiased in that regard.
This forum is riddled with the H15G0d virus. You should get yourself checked out...

The Mercenary solo just absolutely belongs there, it's one of those I can't 100% prise out of the song - and you know I'm not an Adrian worshipper, Cried. :p It has the perfect feel for the situation, even if it might not be textbook brilliance.

I'm also liking the Weekend Warrior solo a lot, although I liked the other one more. And not voting for that Paschendale solo would feel like a crime. I'm almost certainly going for Mercenary, but undecided about my second choice as yet.

The Mercenary solo just absolutely belongs there, it's one of those I can't 100% prise out of the song - and you know I'm not an Adrian worshipper, Cried. :p It has the perfect feel for the situation, even if it might not be textbook brilliance.

I'm also liking the Weekend Warrior solo a lot, although I liked the other one more. And not voting for that Paschendale solo would feel like a crime. I'm almost certainly going for Mercenary, but undecided about my second choice as yet.
Sole vote for "The Mercenary".
:nuts:

Paschendale will likely win this round, and it should, but I am disappointed in the lack of love for Weekend Warrior. The song itself sucks, but the solo is quite amazing. I really hope it finds a way to sneak into the next round.

The Mercenary is ok, but that's all it is. This solo is honestly nothing special to me. It's not among my top 10 Adrian solos, and it's doubtful it would even be in the top 20.

Paschendale will likely win this round, and it should, but I am disappointed in the lack of love for Weekend Warrior. The song itself sucks, but the solo is quite amazing.
Exactly.
I really hope it finds a way to sneak into the next round.
Not likely.
The Mercenary is ok, but that's all it is. This solo is honestly nothing special to me. It's not among my top 10 Adrian solos, and it's doubtful it would even be in the top 20.
Agreed.

Boy, do you talk sense! :ok:

I'm almost certainly going for Mercenary, but undecided about my second choice as yet.
Weekend Warrior, Paschendale. Okay, I changed my mind.
party0010.gif

Very close, though, I like the Mercenary a lot and I'll be sad to lose it. To be fair, I find all four are strong contenders in this round.

The Mercenary is not shitty, but the criticism of it in this thread rings truer than the praise to me.
Weekend Warrior seems to be vastly underrated. The first run is interesting and different, but it was the finish that put it over the top for me.

The Mercenary is not shitty, but the criticism of it in this thread rings truer than the praise to me.
Weekend Warrior seems to be vastly underrated. The first run is interesting and different, but it was the finish that put it over the top for me.
Basically, it's better?

I am sorry I haven't replied before, but I found some time now so I will explain my vote for the Mercenary.

Firstly, I am by no means Adrian's fanboy and I definitely don't consider all of his work golden. In fact, I am probably among the biggest Dave Murray fans on this forum. Secondly, I don't feel any aversion towards Janick. He is my second favorite IM songwriter (behind Harris) and I really love the majority of his solos (especially ones in the studio).

In my opinion, The Mercenary solo is played to perfection. I really love the first 5-6 seconds and then the climax around the 9th second on the video is amazing! Also, I think the solo ends in a beautiful way and connects spectacularly with the harmony following it (though, this is irrelevant to this topic).

On the other hand, Janick's solo is too random for me. I feel that it contains some quite unrelated ideas in it. While it is quite similar to one of my favorite solos from Janick (The Unbeliever), it is on completely different and weaker level.

P.S. I've only been playing guitar for a couple of months but I don't think that should eliminate me from the discussion on which IM solo sounds the best. I don't care about technicality of a solo or how improvised or structured it is. I only care about whether it sounds good or not. This time, I think The Mercenary solo sounds fantastic and Weekend Warrior solo sounds weak.

Last edited:
Well worded criticism. I feel the same about it. And I voted quite a few times for his solos, not this time. And speaking of his solos, there's some nice ones coming up still ...

But the same goes for the other amigos. ;-)

100 advances directly to round 2.

Last edited:
Very good group. I'm going with The Assassin. It has so many great ideas. Rainmaker was the most tempting out of the other three. HBTN sounds super cool, especially in the song, but it's (sorry for being blunt) "just" shredding up and down the scale, to be honest.

Back