Your First Iron Maiden Album/Experience?

I don't really have a first memory per se, their music just gradually entered my world while I was still quite young. My brother just to bring home a lot of metal during the mid 80s, with stuff like maiden, Accept, AC/DC, Judas priest etc. (I remember the first tape I got from him as my own was ac/dc - high voltage on one side and Accept - hungry years on the other) I naturally loved it and thought it was very cool, but don't recall exactly when he bought new records, they kind of just existed when I started to get interested myself in music. The maiden records I grew up with like this where Iron maiden, Piece of mind, Powerslave and Live after death and remember sitting and just listening with the lp-cover in front of me, blissfully ignorant of the world around me.
The second (ac/dc (again) being the first, I'm afraid...) record I bought was Seventh son of a seventh son and even though I liked it a lot I had some trouble with the synths, especially the intro to Moonchild so I often skipped it which just feels so...wrong, looking back. I have continued to listen to them through the years but had a kind of paus, during the Blaze years, more because I wasn't listening to metal at all than any dislike of Blaze, though.

I must make an amendment, I didn't listen to heavy metal those years, harder metal I did listen to (impotent difference for me, aparantly)

It's interesting, I heard that from many Maiden fans of the 80's. I've known many who said they like the Blaze albums but never saw him live because they never managed to. It's always been my impression that the 90's were a phase in which all the people who listened to Maiden as kids had grown up and had other things on their mind. Hence, the commercial failure of Maiden in the Blaze years is not entirely the fault of Blaze or the new sound, but just a matter of fans growing up.

It's interesting, I heard that from many Maiden fans of the 80's. I've known many who said they like the Blaze albums but never saw him live because they never managed to. It's always been my impression that the 90's were a phase in which all the people who listened to Maiden as kids had grown up and had other things on their mind. Hence, the commercial failure of Maiden in the Blaze years is not entirely the fault of Blaze or the new sound, but just a matter of fans growing up.

I think this is very true, a lot of people around me had Maiden as a kind of guilty pleasure during that time and only listened to the records they grew up with, often while drunk...
Seems very silly when looking back at it, but that's how I remember it.

I never stopped listening to Maiden and loved the Blaze era but, actually, this is when I began to listen only to old Metal (and rock) records, Maiden and Slayer being the only bands I bought the new records. I always remember that time (the 1990s) as a very poor period for Metal in terms of creativity. Maybe I'm wrong, but now that I'm trying to listen to records I didn't pay attention to before, very few of those that I appreciate are from that period.

Fall of 1982 as a 12-year-old, I saw older kids wearing Iron Maiden concert shirts in the halls of my junior HS. Thought the artwork was cool. Then I saw the "Run to the Hills" video and loved the sound -- I'd first heard Ozzy and Judas Priest that summer and started getting into harder music. The following summer of '83, Piece of Mind came out and "Flight of Icarus" got a little bit of airplay on MTV and on local rock radio (Q-106 in Lansing, Michigan) and I was hooked. In September, Iron Maiden headlined a show at the Lansing Civic Center with Fastway and Coney Hatch in support. I remember a friend's dad being willing to drive us to the show and to pick us up afterward -- like Homer in the Spinal Tap episode of the Simpsons. I also remember only having 11 bucks in my room from mowing the lawn and odd jobs and needing 13 to buy a ticket. I scrounged 2 bucks somehow, rode my bike to the mall and met my buddy at Ticketron and got my ticket. Show was amazing and I was hooked from that point on. To me, Book of Souls is the most exciting album since SiT.

My first Iron Maiden album was Dance of Death, at the age of 10; this was in 2004, so it was the most recent album at the time. My father gave it to me when I started to get interested in "adult" music, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I discovered Maiden through the Metal Evolution documentary directed by Sam Dunn. This documentary was screened in 2013 and I started watching mainly because of GnR and Black Sabbath, the only bands that I liked at the time. Bruce did interviews for this documentary and I found him a really interesting and charismatic guy. But the most important thing was the documentary intro song. The only maiden songs that I had listened to before watching this documentary was RTTH and TNOTB, and I only listened 1 or 2 times so, by the time I was watching Metal Evolution I had completely forgotten about those two songs. But I knew that the documentary intro was a Maiden song, because of the guitar sound. Maiden guitar sound is so recognizable... So I searched on the internet and found out that the intro song was The Trooper. I got immediately hooked and listened to the song all the time. After that, I searched for more songs and videos on youtube and finally decided to download the whole discography.

The first album that I listened to was Seventh Son because I've read about the story at the ironmaidencommentary.com and got really interested and to this day it still my favourite Maiden album. After Seventh Son, I listened to the debut and followed the order. I listened to one album per week and I loved the band more and more at every album that I listened and constantly said to myself "How is it possible? This band doesn't have a bad album!" I ended up buying the whole discography after this. And finally, what also contributed to my Maiden addiction, was the concert at Rock In Rio 2013. I watched that show at my living room, going crazy with the TV at maximum volume to the distress of my mother and neighbors.

My first Iron Maiden album was Dance of Death, at the age of 10; this was in 2004, so it was the most recent album at the time. My father gave it to me when I started to get interested in "adult" music, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Very similar story here, except I was 8 and it was the Give Me Ed Til I'm Dead tour with my Dad. But I remember a few weeks later when he picked me up from school and had already bought the new album and was blasting it in the car.

It was in about 1989 when I was 17. I'd always loved the Maiden T-shirts I saw people wearing and I eventually bought myself one that had the first album cover on it (even though I didn't actually know anything by the band!). Shortly after, I thought that I'd better have a listen to them and I bought 'Live After Death' on video. I only watched it a little bit though because I was much more into Motorhead at the time!

Anyway, around the same time, I was drinking in this rock bar a lot that had a downstairs section that looked like the Cavern Club where the Beatles used to play. The pub didn't have a jukebox as such, so the landlord used to let people bring in their own CDs and he'd play them. One night I was downstairs and I heard Prowler come blasting out, it was amazing...and by the 2nd song I was hooked! When Phantom came on I couldn't believe my ears because I'd always known and loved that music from the Lucozade advert with Daley Thompson! I asked who the band were, found out it was Maiden and went straight home when the pub shut to put the LAD video on. From then, I had an amazing few months going to record shops and exploring the back catalogue.

The first album I bought on its release was No Prayer For The Dying and I saw Maiden for the first time on that tour at Wembley Arena. It was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

What a great band this is! :shred:

In 2004 when I first got into metal a friend let me rip Edward the Great. I really liked all the songs and was definitely intrigued. The first album I bought was Rock in Rio and I listened to the hell out of it (and still do)! So much so that I take those live versions of the Brave New World songs over the studio versions. After that I was hooked and bought as many Maiden albums as I could get my hands on. All these years later I have found that I love Maiden now more than ever (which was always a lot).

Incidentally, and this will surprise me nobody, while I love quite a few songs on that record, the one that really grabbed me from the first listen and can be credited with making me a Maidan fan was, of course, Paschendale.

Not my case definetly,found maiden in 1992,Fear of the Dark album was kicking in most of the radio stations or Mtv,along with Enter sandman and You could be mine etc...,Fear of the dark live at donington could be heard in many places not related to metal community (going down those daysbtw)

Fear of the dark had an awesome welcome and so was the tour and its highlight was live at donnington 92 as you might now.Iron maiden returning to home 4 years after with Adrian as guest apareance in Running free.

Then we have Bruce Departure and i remember many of my friends listening to Xfactor and say "WTF IS HAPPENING HERE" maybe nowadays we dont see/feel that change,we are used to Blaze and now we have Bruce back,but in 1995 that was a real change.Metal going down and maiden sounding with a guy with a low/deep voice profile.I remember buying some bootlegs before going to the show in 95 and listening with my friends and making some "facepalms" LOL while listening some of the classics been ripped without mercy by blaze.No feel there,very rude singing bruce songs.I remember 2 minutes to midnight "Dont you pray ////// for my soul ///// anymore." as Blaze sung that song like this,with those breaks between those lines sounding like a heardsman singing to his goats.Really annoying,and his screams during running free " South american rise bootleg" he was like a pig in a slaughter house.

Soooooo ,bad years to be an Iron Maiden fan.Now Fear of the dark is for the "reborn maiden family" one of the worst albums ever and X factor is a masterpiece.When i read that i laugh not because of the choice,i laugh because how that could be change.

I just want to point the whole situation of the 90s.Im 37 years old,born in 1978 so if some guys of the forum are around my age,would understand the thing i said for sure LOL

The first song I ever heard from Iron Maiden was 2 Minutes to Midnight, and that was one of tracks on GTA Vice City when playing the game. I liked the song so much I went out and purchased Rock in Rio 2001 and Edward the Great: Greatest hits albums. My first studio album purchases were Iron maiden '80 and Piece Of Mind '83. I was 14 at the time, and I recently turned 26 in September, so I've been a fan for over a decade.

Late 1981. I was 14 years old and my older brother's friend had the Killers cassette. It was love at first listen.

I was too young to see Maiden when they toured Australia in 1982, but did stumble across them in 1990 while holidaying in the UK. Saw them in Oz in 1992 and very nearly travelled to Japan for the BNW tour in 2000, as they decided to bypass Australia.

Saw them again in 2008 and managed to get my face on the Flight 666 movie. People don't ask me for autographs though... bastards ! :)

High school, age 15-16. Was already into rock/metal. A schoolmate recorded me a tape with a band "I needed to hear". Got home, put it in the living room stereo, Aces High blew me off and that's it.

Hi there, first post right here!

Fear Of The Dark was the first CD album I bought. I didn't even have a proper CD player - just my Sega Mega CD, so I was listening in mono through a very old portable TV, haha! It must of been late 1993, as I was introduced to Maiden by a friend who had Raising Hell on VHS. The music was awesome and Eddie just blew my 13 year old mind. I wore that CD out and it led me to get into lots of other rock/metal music.

Back