When The River Runs Deep

How good is When the River Runs Deep on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
That's The Great Unknown, not WTRRD :p
I meant this section -

There’s no use in hiding
Got to keep on trying
Can’t take no more lying
This is the last
There’s no time for crying
When some of us are dying
None of us decide what is our fate

Not a fan of the vocals here really.

I meant this section -

There’s no use in hiding
Got to keep on trying
Can’t take no more lying
This is the last
There’s no time for crying
When some of us are dying
None of us decide what is our fate

Not a fan of the vocals here really.
Oh, my fault! :lol:
All the non-Bruce songs have lyrics that sort of run together... :rolleyes:

Have been listening to this one quite a bit but can't get into it for some reason.
It's a decent enough song but hovering around the 7/10 mark for me at the minute.
Might grow on me in time.

This song is a solid 8/10 for me; a very good song. Catchy all the way through with a great chorus. This said, it is a chorus I liken somewhat to Different World and Age Of Innocence in style (which I personally love), so given the reaction to those I am not altogether surprised it's not getting a great rep.

A fantastic song!

Highlights include:

·The opening riff is very Somewhere In Time-like.

·The Black Sabbath-like riff that follows, and has been “Maidenified” of course, is as strong as any of the Sabbath-like riffs on Starblind.

·The darker power chord sequence during “as cheaply as I did then”.

·The subtle riff during the chorus that comes from the right speaker. Janick?

·The instrumental section that typifies the album with its creativity, emotion and length.

·All three solos are memorable – Dave’s shredding, use of the wah wah and melodic runs in particular.

·Janick’s solo contains sounds great. Has he used neo-classical scales?

·Adrian’s solo is a similar tempo to The Wickerman but more creative.

And the chorus contains a line that relates to Adrian’s favourite past time…..fishing!!

Reactions: Gk1
This is certainly either the worst either the one but worst song for me, from this album. And it also sits very low in the entire catalogue.

I find the vocals hard to bear and the chorus monotone: its weakness comes across after a few repetitions. In the last rounds, Nicko's loud slamming on his ride cymbal does not sit well (irritatingly dominant). I am not particularly fond of Dave's solo. I've started to like Adrian's solo more now!

The instrumental part reminds me of Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, including Muppet drums (even worse). Overall not the most imaginative song they've done (understatement).

This one has grown on me a bit more lately. It has a really nice groove to it, and I've gotten used to the chorus. I still feel it's one of the weaker tracks overall, especially lyrically, but overall it's a good tune.

It's failed to grow on me, I'm afraid, but do like what they do with the chorus, it's such a contrast to the pace of the rest of the song.

This song is like the following scene from FRIENDS

Lets say I'm Joy and you are the rest of them,ok!?

This is certainly either the worst either the one but worst song for me, from this album. And it also sits very low in the entire catalogue.

I find the vocals hard to bear and the chorus monotone: its weakness comes across after a few repetitions. In the last rounds, Nicko's loud slamming on his ride cymbal does not sit well (irritatingly dominant). I am not particularly fond of Dave's solo. I've started to like Adrian's solo more now!

The instrumental part reminds me of Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, including Muppet drums (even worse). Overall not the most imaginative song they've done (understatement).
I understand your qualms with the vocals, but I really don't get the "muppet drums" vibe. Yeah, it's a fast double time beat, but it's got more of an "Aces High"/"Man on the Edge" thing going for it- lots of syncopation and bass drum work. Unlike DLTTEOAS, which is so simple it sounds like a Polka :p

And, in my opinion, any vocal weakness in the chorus is displaced by the sheer heaviness of that half-time drum beat! :rocker:

In the fast part, he leaves out so many bassdrums (lots of measures without bass drums even) that it sounds... as if he can't play fast anymore. Just handwork, too little footwork. This isn't jazz!
Compare with the songs you just mentioned (Aces High, MOTE).

In the fast part, he leaves out so many bassdrums (lots of measures without bass drums even) that it sounds... as if he can't play fast anymore. Just handwork, too little footwork. This isn't jazz!
Compare with the songs you just mentioned (Aces High, MOTE).
Yes, but he isn't just playing the bass drum on 1 and 3 and nothing else like he is in Don't Look... that's what gives it the Polka feel.

Maybe we can all agree on one thing about this song: the vocals in the intro are not very good! :p

I know, but also dislike it when he plays less bass drums.
Yes, but he isn't just playing the bass drum on 1 and 3 and nothing else like he is in Don't Look... that's what gives it the Polka feel.

Maybe we can all agree on one thing about this song: the vocals in the intro are not very good! :p
Yep! :)

So, I took a break from TBoS and was driving around with the library on shuffle.
This song comes on out of the blue and I don't immediately recognize it outside the context of the album.
It sounded the best ive heard it.
Maybe it's a sign that I don't like it much on the album because the other songs are so good.

10/10. This is my 6th favorite song off the album, might be the last song of my 10/10's on the album though after EOTC, TRATB, TBOS, TMOS, and TOAC in order EOTC being #1. All of these songs are definitely in my top 20 favorite songs in general at the moment! Of course it may change in the future, but after getting a good grip on the full album I have a good clue of what my thoughts will be in the future about this album, though I've never listened to a full album nearly once, even sometimes twice a day since a week before the release for nearly a month now (it's getting up there around 30-35 full listens lol), just a ridiculously great album! Anyway, I'm really liking the guitar riffs in this one, probably my 2nd favorite guitar riffs on a song next to the title track on the album, TBOS has some of the greatest riffs I've heard in a long time!! I really like the chorus also, can't believe some people don't like it :/ might be a grower! Really a solid track IMO anyway!

Back